The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 1, 2009, 11:53 AM   #26
Glenn E. Meyer

I would need 130 guns to cover my house. Oh, dear - guess what I have to buy?

Carry one.
Old August 1, 2009, 12:31 PM   #27
Tombstonejim

Well No one really answered so I will.

Bedroom 1911 my side of bed, glock for wife on her side, Rossi carbine behind door.

Laundry room gun storage most loaded.

Upstairs office Remington 700 behind door, .25 ACP laying on my desk. There is a second floor deck on this room and I can see well over 1000yds in 3 directions. Including my gate which is 880 feet.

Upstairs bedroom Siamese Mauser 45-70 behind door. An upstairs deck covering the direction I can't see from the office. 1000 yds line of sight.

Overkill maybe. But two drug smugglers hit a cattle guard and turned their truck over less than a mile from my house last week. They walked to the nearest house and waited for the owner to come home, planning who knows what. Fortunately he is a retired state cop and was carrying his 1911. They decided they only wanted to call 911 to get a wrecker. Lots more to story but too long for here.

Sheriff response time to my house is 45 minutes minimum.
Old August 1, 2009, 02:45 PM   #28
Oldster

I keep my Officer's model on me at all times at home. A firearm sitting on the nightstand in the bedroom, or 10 feet away behind a door does no good if you are in the family room and someone busts down the door. With home invasions on the increase, it's not paranoia it's being prepared. I'd rather be considered paranoid and have it on me when I need it, than considered dead and it be 10 feet away from my body.
Old August 1, 2009, 03:52 PM   #29
thallub

There are four S&W model 10 revolvers hidden strategically in this house. There is my Charter Arms .44 Special on this desk in my office. An AR-15 is located in the master bedroom.
Old August 1, 2009, 07:17 PM   #30
firespectrum

Hiding guns throughout your house assumes that your home will be invaded while you're there. Most burglars wait until you leave the house. You might as well gift wrap your guns for them. Oh and your hiding places might fool the 16 year old smash and grabber, but your sneaky stash spots are well known in the criminal world: under the mattress, between couch cushions, under the bottom dresser drawer, in the freezer, in the toilet tank, in the pantry, in air vents, basically if you thought it was slick the bad guys already know about it because you're not the first one to try it. Please, let's not give the bad guys guns.
Old August 1, 2009, 07:41 PM   #31
thallub

Quote:
Please, let's not give the bad guys guns.

Had one burglary in 1986. They stole everything of value except guns, they never touched a gun. Twice in my long lifetime I have defended my family and my home from armed home invaders. Came out on top both times thanks to guns that were easily accessible. I am not changing what works for me, burglars be darned.
Old August 1, 2009, 07:57 PM   #32
firespectrum

Quote:
Came out on top both times thanks to guns that were easily accessible.
On your hip is about as easily accessible as it gets.
Old August 1, 2009, 09:25 PM   #33
Tom Servo
Staff

Does a Garand on the kitchen table count?

There are effective ways to hide and distribute weapons at choke points; I wouldn't divulge where mine are on the internet if I did, though.

I usually have my carry gun next to the coffee while I'm at my desk. I have a rifle within about ten steps if I should need it.

Of course, the only two ways into my house involve climbing a long, creaky wooden staircase, so I'm likely to have some warning.
Old August 1, 2009, 11:55 PM   #34
Doug S

Interesting thread. I had something happen a few weeks back that turned out to be nothing (at least nothing that I can logically explain), but at the time I thought someone was in the house (and very close to me). I won't bore you with the "strange" details, but it really made me aware of the fact that without my gun on me, I wouldn't have had time to get the gun.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old August 2, 2009, 02:59 AM   #35
Lost Sheep

Where to stash your defensive tools

The deeper your defensive perimeter, the longer it takes for an invader to get into your house, therefore you have more time to retrieve your phone, flashlight baseball bat/gun/taser/whatever.

So, deepen and harden your perimeter defenses.

Most people will be adequately protected with their defense tools in two places, maybe three.

Bedroom, where you are when many burglaries take place.
Close to where you are when opening the door to visitors, delivery persons, etc. where a home invader might be ringing your doorbell.
The room (aside from the bedroom) where you spend most of your time when not sleeping.

I have often thought that this would be a good place to stash a gun:

Cut a hole in a sheetrock wall, put your gun in the space between the studs and then patch the hole with styrofoam, spackle and paint to match the original wall. Done properly, the patch will be invisible, but the styrofoam can be broken out instantly and easily.

If your carpentry skills are not that great, the patchwork can be covered with a clock, picture, painting or decorative sconce. Just make the placement look "natural" so it doesn't scream "Hiding place" to the practised criminal eye.

If you go around to the opposite side of the wall and frame in a small door with a lock, you can retrieve the gun for checking the flashlight for battery changing and other such maintenance tasks.

Lost Sheep.
Old August 2, 2009, 03:14 AM   #36
Skan21

I just KNEW this picture would come in handy! I found this on a thread a few weeks ago. I can never resist cracking a smile when I see it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3616420419_4ab3142193_o.jpg (149.3 KB, 96 views)

Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
Old August 2, 2009, 08:23 AM   #37
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I keep my Officer's model on me at all times at home. A firearm sitting on the nightstand in the bedroom, or 10 feet away behind a door does no good if you are in the family room and someone busts down the door. With home invasions on the increase, it's not paranoia it's being prepared. I'd rather be considered paranoid and have it on me when I need it, than considered dead and it be 10 feet away from my body.
My thoughts exactly.
Old August 2, 2009, 09:08 AM   #38
skydiver3346

Placement of weapons in the home?

Well, I must admit I have a few around the homestead myself. Am not trying to be paranoid but rather being prepared in the event of a home invasion. Lots of those going on in the city where I live.

Actually to each his own would be the answer to this post. Whatever makes you feel safer in your home. My kids are up and grown and moved away so no problems with kids in the home. My wife and I both are experienced shooters of all our weapons we own, (revolvers and autos). We both feel a lot better knowing we don't have to run to the safe, unlock it and retrieve a gun for self defense situations. Thus, we have three weapons placed strategically around our home.
1. Bedroom night stand (Glock 21 with tactical light)
2. Living room (S&W Model 64 hidden in side pocket of my Lazy Boy TV chair)
3. Office (model 60 hidden behind computer)

Last edited by skydiver3346; August 3, 2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old August 2, 2009, 11:33 AM   #39
bikerbill

I spend a lot of time at home (retired) so during the day I simply carry my j-frame in a pocket holster ... I agree that leaving guns all over the house is a bad idea ... so ... my nightstand gun is always available. I keep a revolver in the commode area of the bathroom (never get caught with my pants down). My carry weapons -- in summer the 637 or a Kahr PM9 -- are loaded and in the center drawer of the dresser, which is inside a big walkin closet, not in the bedroom. No kids, obviously; if we have some visiting the guns are unloaded and locked away until the house returns to normal. My wife's not a shooter, tho she's had enough training to know how to operate all our guns in case of emergency. I'm encouraging her to get a CHL and she seems to at least be receptive to a discussion ...
Old August 2, 2009, 05:15 PM   #40
My870inVT

I live in a fairly good neighborhood in a small city so I don;t feel the need to carry in home.

I do however keep a 9 +1 22. loaded in my coffee table in my living room, where i spend most of my morning/afternoon during daylight hours. Enough to get my upstairs if i have to. (Hopefully land a couple hits while that dirtbag realizes the sliding glass door is double chained ...)

As for night-time I have my 16 +1 9mm on my nightstand with no clip in but two full magazines.

And if It really hits the fan I always have my trusty Remington 870 leaning on my dresser with a box of shells.

For a two bedroom condo i feel thats enough of a spread to help me sleep well enough at night.
Old August 2, 2009, 05:41 PM   #41
tjhands

Quote:
I am probably a little closer to paranoid than naive

Without pecking away redundantly, this about sums me up for me and mine.
Old August 2, 2009, 05:51 PM   #42
BlackFeather

I know ill get feedback on this one... but I have knives, short and long swords, along with wooden "tools"... around the house... some are more hidden depending on whats needed... but the guns are with me... so if im not near the guns they are inaccessible to an invader but I have something anywhere.... I live in a small house anyways so its easy to get the guns on my end....

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old August 2, 2009, 05:52 PM   #43
tjhands

Quote:
....but your sneaky stash spots are well known in the criminal world: under the mattress, between couch cushions, under the bottom dresser drawer, in the freezer, in the toilet tank, in the pantry, in air vents, basically if you thought it was slick the bad guys already know about it because you're not the first one to try it. Please, let's not give the bad guys guns.

Pat? Pat???

Oh, sorry......I thought you were my mother-in-law.

See, guys, these are the types of people that we fight against: people who claim that no matter what we do to protect ourselves; whether it's a woman carrying a gun in her purse to a person keeping a gun at home "in the toilet tank" - we are always the paranoid extremists who will, despite of and because of our best efforts, will only contribute to increased and self-inflicted crime in and out of our homes.

I spit on this ideology and everyone who espouses and subscribes to it. Disgusting.
Old August 2, 2009, 05:57 PM   #44
BlackFeather

@tj hands: im amused by your statement... but thats about it...

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old August 2, 2009, 06:18 PM   #45
firespectrum

Quote:
See, guys, these are the types of people that we fight against: people who claim that no matter what we do to protect ourselves; whether it's a woman carrying a gun in her purse to a person keeping a gun at home "in the toilet tank" - we are always the paranoid extremists who will, despite of and because of our best efforts, will only contribute to increased and self-inflicted crime in and out of our homes.

I spit on this ideology and everyone who espouses and subscribes to it. Disgusting.
If I thought owning guns or using them to protect our families was extremest, I would not be on this forum. I own firearms and I think it's a citizen's duty to protect himself and his way of life, but I also apply some common sense and responsibility in my life and my firearms employment. Most robberies do not happen when the victim is home and therefore leaving them unsecured when you leave the house is negligent in my opinion. It doesn't matter how many guns you have, if you're not there to pull the trigger it won't make a difference. That's why I'm a believer in keeping your carry gun on you AT ALL TIMES, so you don't have to hide it in your pantry.

Our real enemies want us to turn against each other like British gun owners did before they lost all their rights. Don't presume to think I'm an Uncle Tom just because I don't leave my guns lying around when I leave my house. Don't point your finger at me or put words in my mouth - you know nothing about me. I am an NRA member, a US Serviceman, and a RESPONSIBLE gun owner - I am not the enemy.
Old August 2, 2009, 06:59 PM   #46
tjhands

Quote:
I also apply some common sense and responsibility in my life and my firearms employment
Meh, this sentence sounds oddly familiar. Can't think of where I heard it last: CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, MSNBC. Forgive me for the confusion, but it was somewhere in there.

Listen, man, I do believe you when you say that you're on the RKBA side of the issue - your posts speak for themselves and I appreciate the effort and the candor - but, like you said: when cornered, we gun-owners tend to circle the wagons and fire our guns inward.

Going by your blame-ourselves post in this thread, I think you fired the first shot.
Old August 2, 2009, 07:09 PM   #47
alloy

That seems like an awful lot of guns(for me) to fumble. The regular holster/handgun, anything else is stowed.
Old August 2, 2009, 07:27 PM   #48
firespectrum

Quote:
Meh, this sentence sounds oddly familiar. Can't think of where I heard it last: CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, MSNBC. Forgive me for the confusion, but it was somewhere in there.
Common sense and responsibility are the foundation of our republic and I make no apologies for advocating them. These leftist organizations you are so desperately trying to tie me to twist "common sense" to effect restrictions and skew "responsibility" to effect blame, this does not mean we should throw out either common sense or personal responsibility. I'm not talking about legislation, this thread is about a personal responsibility issue.

And I am not self-blaming. If your gun is stolen the thief is the criminal, not you. But does this mean you shouldn't try to do prevent your gun from being stolen? I don't understand why you are so hostile about the idea of a gun owner locking up his guns. No one here is saying that you should be legally required to lock up your guns. This thread is about whether or not it's a good idea to tactically stash them around the house, and you're going to call me the "people we fight against" and "spit" on me just because I don't think it's a good idea?
Old August 3, 2009, 09:55 AM   #49
NightSight

I think that a lot of this confusion could have been prevented if everyone would have read the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSight
How do you secure these satellite weapons??
No one is advocating irresponsible gun ownership.

Also, maybe I should clear up some confusion. When I said every five feet, I meant that you would always be within five feet of a weapon. Some people seem to think that means 1 gun for every 5 square feet. That's not the case. You could put 1 gun in the middle of a 10x10 room and be pretty close to being no farther than 5 feet away anywhere in the room.

This means that the particular person I am speaking about probably has about 15 guns stashed, not 100+.
Old August 3, 2009, 10:31 AM   #50
bababooey32

I've been thinking about this issue recently. We have a 7,000 sqft home spread across 2 levels. Currently we have 1 gun in a lock box in the bedroom. If I were downstairs in the office when an intruder came in, I would have to walk right in front of him to the stairs to get to the gun. Not good! I also have 2 little ones (3 and 5 yrs old), so I would have to hide AND secure any supplemental firearms. My wife would think I was a kook if I carried around the house, as logical as it may be. So I am wrestling with where and how to secure additional "help".