The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2019, 07:27 PM   #1
mrdaputer

good powder for Berry's in a 44 magnum?

I have a bunch of Berry's bullets 240 grain fp for a 44 magnum I would like to use up. Can someone suggest a good powder to use? I would kinda like a heavier load but need to stay under the 1200 ft/s
Old March 19, 2019, 07:50 PM   #2
zxcvbob

Herco should do it. And it's nice and bulky.
Old March 19, 2019, 08:08 PM   #3
Road_Clam

1200 fps is a milder load for 44 mag respectively. That being said I think Alliant 2400 would be ideal for what you're looking to do. 2400 is a very cooperative powder for downloading the magnums.
Old March 19, 2019, 08:38 PM   #4
mrdaputer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam View Post
1200 fps is a milder load for 44 mag respectively. That being said I think Alliant 2400 would be ideal for what you're looking to do. 2400 is a very cooperative powder for downloading the magnums.
I know but that is the max you can run Berry's.
Old March 19, 2019, 11:18 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

About 10gr of Unique will get your 240gr in the 1100fps range, unless you've got a shorter barrel. Start at 9gr and see how it goes.
Old March 20, 2019, 06:18 AM   #6
BBarn

Medium speed handgun powders are probably you best choice, powders like Unique, Universal, HS-6, BE-86, Herco, 800X, Power Pistol, True Blue, CFE Pistol, Accurate #5, and Accurate #7. However, you'll probably find pressure tested data with the Berry's bullets hard to find. I believe Berry's considers the use of jacketed or cast bullet data suitable for their bullets, and there are a number of published 240gr. loads available.

I've personally run faster bulky handgun/shotgun powders like American Select and Competition in the 44 Mag. with that bullet. But I was only wanting lighter practice loads of around 1000 fps. If you want to get closer to 1200 fps., the medium speed powders I mentioned above are likely better.
Old March 20, 2019, 07:57 AM   #7
mrdaputer

Thank you all for your replies a lot of good info for me to check out I need to be a little more careful to match the bullet to the powder for the power I am looking for. I should have done a little more research before I bought them rather than after. I will just use Berry.s for light loads.
Old March 20, 2019, 12:48 PM   #8
Dufus

I use 17.0 up to 17.5 of 2400 with cast bullets in that weight. I use the same charge with a cast 260 gr.
Old March 20, 2019, 07:58 PM   #9
Emerson Biggies

I have two S&W model 29's both with 8 3/8 bbls. I only shoot plated 200 and 240 grain bullets in them with Unique in the 9-10 grain charges.
There is absolutely no need to beat the hell out of the gun or yourself with fast heavy loads unless you are in bear country. Relax and make shooting the 44 a pleasant experiece.
Old March 20, 2019, 10:45 PM   #10
Charlie98

Quote:
About 10gr of Unique will get your 240gr in the 1100fps range, unless you've got a shorter barrel. Start at 9gr and see how it goes.
^^^ That.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old March 21, 2019, 07:05 AM   #11
rodfac

8.0 grains of Unique will give you just over 950 fps from a 6.5" .44 Magnum. Unique doesn't meter well but still gives good accuracy with lead alloy or coated bullets.

Another good powder is Winchester 231, with 8.1 grains giving me a 1043 fps chrono'd load and 3/4" groups at 25 yds from my Ruger 50th Anniversary BH. It's the best load (read most accurate) I've ever had in any .44 Magnum.

As always, work up to these loads with due regard to pressure signs and implications in your guns. Best regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 21, 2019, 08:50 AM   #12
mrdaputer

Thank you for the replies I will pick up a pound of a couple that were suggested. When the weather gets better I will pull out my chronograph.
Old March 21, 2019, 11:43 PM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
When the weather gets better I will pull out my chronograph.
Your chronograph will give you information, but won't tell you much really useful. And what I mean by that is while it will tell you what you're getting, it doesn't matter if a given load does 936fps in somebody's test gun and only 890fps in your gun. What matter more than a handful of fps is how well your gun(s) shoot that load.

Variations in velocity between different guns with the same ammo can be as much as 100fps or even more. Usually not, but it can happen.
Old March 22, 2019, 07:27 AM   #14
mrdaputer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Your chronograph will give you information, but won't tell you much really useful. And what I mean by that is while it will tell you what you're getting, it doesn't matter if a given load does 936fps in somebody's test gun and only 890fps in your gun. What matter more than a handful of fps is how well your gun(s) shoot that load.

Variations in velocity between different guns with the same ammo can be as much as 100fps or even more. Usually not, but it can happen.
I agree with the limited info. I disagree with it not being much useful. It will tell me my ft/s so I can keep it below the bullets limitation. I only reload for myself and never shoot anyone else's reloads. So it will never be fired in a different gun.
Old March 22, 2019, 07:30 AM   #15
Old 454

Alliant 2400 as stated above
Or alliant #9
Blue Dot
Old March 22, 2019, 10:01 AM   #16
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdaputer View Post
I agree with the limited info. I disagree with it not being much useful. It will tell me my ft/s so I can keep it below the bullets limitation. I only reload for myself and never shoot anyone else's reloads. So it will never be fired in a different gun.
Selection of powder and following recipes will keep your FPS below the bullet's limitations. Even a max load of Unique won't put you over Berry's velocity limits in a revolver. As has been said, Berry's are a cheap plinking bullet. Exact velocity is really a moot point. Find a combo that gives your decent velocity. Running Berry's too hot is only going to give a slight chance of the plating separating from the bullet. You run that risk from crimping it too hard with your roll crimp die also.

Quote:
I should have done a little more research before I bought them rather than after.
yep. Still they work well enough for their intended use.
Old March 22, 2019, 10:27 AM   #17
mikld

I won't make any friends with this, but, I think plated bullets should come with a warning; "For use by experienced reloaders only". I have seen waaaay too many questions on forums about new reloaders using plated bullets. They cannot find decent load data, have many crimping questions, ask about seating depth (OAL) and try to use them in applications where it would be a task for even experienced reloaders (smooth sided bullets and crimping for a revolver, and even magnum loads).

I tried them, maybe 1,000 a few years ago and used lead bullet data and methods. I tried a few in my 38/357 but wound up melting them down for my own casting. For semi-auto bullets they are just OK for me as my cast bullets don't lead, are very accurate, and are much more fun. If I need/want higher velocities, I'll use jacketed. Perhaps plated bullets have improved in the last couple years, but I haven heard/read any, and I still have no need...
Old March 22, 2019, 10:43 AM   #18
buck460XVR

Thing is....there are plated bullets and there are plated bullets. For the most part, plated bullets were intended for a replacement for soft swagged and hard cast bullets for folks that either didn't want to worry about leading, or wanted to shoot the same reloads from a variety of firearms with different throats/barrels, and didn't want to pay for jacketed pills. Now With the newer powder coated bullets, I think they are going to go the way of the dinosaurs.......

That said. There are some very high quality plated bullets out there that work just as well as jacketed. Some so well that most folks don't even know they are a plated bullet. Take Speer's Deep Curl and Gold Dot bullets. Some of their Uni-Core's are plated too I believe. For the most part....when it comes to bullets, you get what you pay for.
Old March 22, 2019, 11:09 AM   #19
hdbiker

I've always used and liked BlueDot for hard cast mediam loads in .357 & .44 Mag, Burns clean, meters very well and is accurate in my guns. hdbiker
Old March 22, 2019, 11:36 AM   #20
mrdaputer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR View Post
Selection of powder and following recipes will keep your FPS below the bullet's limitations. Even a max load of Unique won't put you over Berry's velocity limits in a revolver. As has been said, Berry's are a cheap plinking bullet. Exact velocity is really a moot point. Find a combo that gives your decent velocity. Running Berry's too hot is only going to give a slight chance of the plating separating from the bullet. You run that risk from crimping it too hard with your roll crimp die also.

yep. Still they work well enough for their intended use.
Thank you for your comments. I use a taper crimp with bullets without a cannelure. I was use to using xtreme bullets that can hold a higher ft/s I do have Nos JHP as well.
Old March 22, 2019, 01:57 PM   #21
Dufus

Quote:
I've always used and liked BlueDot for hard cast mediam loads in .357 & .44 Mag, Burns clean, meters very well and is accurate in my guns. hdbiker
I did some work with Blue Dot and a 260 cast bullet with the 44 Mag a couple of years ago.

Accuracy was not all that good and the ES was over 100 fps which I did not like. I abandoned it after that for use in the 44 Mag. As stated by hdbiker, others have had excellent results with it.
Old March 22, 2019, 08:13 PM   #22
mrdaputer

My nephew just asked me if you could tamper crimp a cannelure bullet. I said I wasn't sure but will ask here. I thought with the power of a 44 mag it should be roll crimped.
Old March 23, 2019, 02:00 PM   #23
Hanshi

2400 is hard to beat with cast bullets. In my 6" M29, 18 grains of 2400 gives right at 1150 fps; and very, very accurate.
Old March 24, 2019, 12:19 AM   #24
Steve in PA

I use a Rainier instead of Berry’s, but my .44 Magnum plinking loads is 10.0gr of Unique and a 240gr plated bullet. Shot lots of them through my 7.5” Super Blackhawk last year.
Old March 24, 2019, 07:22 AM   #25
Road_Clam

I have gained much respect for Berry's plated bullets. Accurate and a great price. I have to push the 124gr 9mm bullets really hard through my 9mm Uzi carbine to ensure reliable bolt cycling and have had zero issues with plating adhesion. Also running Berry's 180 rnfp plated in my 10mm Kimber 6" 1911 and that as well is full house stout loads and the Berry's perform excellent.