The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 12, 2019, 08:33 AM   #26
Armed_Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
microstamping/serial #ing of the ammo itself, each round
That is exactly what is being proposed. This isn't the first time this bill was introduced either.
Old February 13, 2019, 09:21 AM   #27
riffraff

As indicated ^ I believe this is a 2-fold strategy:

#1 serialize ammo
#2 record transactions

Then theoretically they could find a casing and identify who bought it, or of course criminals may just pickup their casings, or may just buy ammo out of state
Old February 13, 2019, 12:27 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Then theoretically they could find a casing and identify who bought it, or of course criminals may just pickup their casings, or may just buy ammo out of state
Or the registered ammo could have been stolen from its registered owner, passed through a dozen "criminal" hands before being used and found at a crime scene.

As yet another hoop for gun owners to jump through (and bring their wallets), I'm sure it would be effective. As a measure aiding in solving crime, I think it would be like using a chicken wire window screen to keep the flies out....
Old February 13, 2019, 01:30 PM   #29
sigarms228

Every year a lot of stupid gun control laws are proposed in Illinois and most all of them never even come to a vote. This ammunition bill is one of those. Last year there was one requiring only serialized ammo be sold in Illinois and any ammo one already had would have to be gotten rid of.

As 44 AMP has repeatedly stated their is no benefit from this silly bill. I already have to show an FOID card to buy ammo.

Illinois democrats, and in many other states, are trying to copy cat anything being proposed or already law in New York, New Jersey, or California.

I am a member of Illinois State Rifle Association and contribute to them regularly. I wish more firearm owners in Illinois would do the same.