The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 1, 2016, 10:28 AM   #1
fotojake

El Paso Saddlery holster in the house

Just received a Tom Threepersons' style holster from El Paso Saddlery. I wanted it with the hammer thong, but it showed up with the retention strap. Oh, well. It'll work. It's for a Ruger NM Blackhawk 4.62" 357. Question is this: trying to get this firearm to fit in this holster is like trying to drive a round peg into a square hole! I'm doing the plastic bag trick right now, but it looks like I'm running out of insertion room for the firearm and may not be able to close the retention strap. I guess I could work the strap to try and get it to stretch? Any other suggestions? I'm shying away from dampening the holster with water or applying leather softener. Heard bad things about those methods. Is just drawing the holster over and over, twisting it while drawing the best trick?

Thanks.
Old July 1, 2016, 01:50 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

I think you have the wrong holster. El Paso makes 3 styles of Tom Threepersons holster.
https://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-65-9-1...2-barrels.aspx
Wet forming works just fine. Even when used on a lined holster, but the gun should go right in formed or not. You should not have to fight the thing to put the gun in.
"...drawing the holster over and over, twisting it..." Does nothing. Except give you practice.
Your Ruger's big adjustable sights might be the issue though. My 1911A1 doesn't fit into an issue holster with the high visibility sights I put on it either.
Old July 1, 2016, 07:45 PM   #3
fotojake

No, no. I have a Tom Threepersons. It's exactly like the one in the photo on the link to their website; like the one on the left. Mine is black leather. I ordered it directly from their website. Can't be more sure than that.

They did screw up and put the button strap on it instead of the hammer thong, tho.

Anyway, I'm within a ΒΌ inch, if that, of fastening the snap as it's drawn over the revolver's hammer. It's in a thicker plastic bag, now. Hopefully, by tomorrow, the the revolver will fit better. It draws pretty well now.

Thanks.
Old July 22, 2016, 07:42 AM   #4
claydoctor

It may be a Threepersons but not one for a Blackhawk . It may be for a Colt Single Action or a New Vaquero . Years ago , I ordered an El Paso holster for a blackpowder Colt 1851 Navy . The holster they sent was very loose . My Colt Single Action cartridge gun fit fine . I sent it back explaining the problem and instead of sending me the correct holster , they sent me my money back . I remember someone else a few years ago on a forum had ordered a Slim Jim holster . They sent him one that was shaped differently than the one in their catalog . He returned it saying he wanted one like was shown in the catalog . They refused to admit they had made it differently although they clearly had .So be alert that they do not have a history of admitting they may have made a mistake .
Old July 22, 2016, 12:33 PM   #5
fotojake

I have finally got the BH to fit. Took some doing.

On the back of the holster, it's stamped as being made for a Ruger BH.

Overall, I'm not too impressed with EPS. The fit could have been a bit looser, and I had also asked for a hammer thong, but, it came with the button strap. I had to work and stretch that puppy to get the snap to reach the button. Though, for what I need, the holster works.

Next time, I'll probably go with Simply Rugged out of Prescott.
Old July 22, 2016, 04:35 PM   #6
lamarw

I ordered the same model holster from El Paso a few years back for my S&W Model 25 Mountain Gun. I ordered it with the thong retention, and it was delivered with the correct retention. I had the same difficulty with it being way too tight for the revolver. I returned it, and they corrected the issue. They stated they had blocked and resized the holster.

You may want to do the same.