The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 21, 2016, 06:15 PM   #1
Grizz12

Push vs pull gun cleaning kits

So today I snapped my push style cleaning rod and started looking into a new cleaning kit. Things have changed in the past ~20 years, wow!!!

Are the cable/pull through cleaning kits any good or just a gimmick?? At first glance it seems like a really good idea but how do you clean the breach area on a rifle, is there a short rod? I also like the compactness of the kits but didnt see anything for use in .22 rimfire, only .223 and up? I will need something to handle .22, .223, .45/70, .308, 12ga. (rifles) and .22-.45/454 handguns

BTW, I will be using it on handguns, rifles and shotguns. I've seen the "bore snake" gizmo and was not impressed with it, thats not the pull through I'm talking about.

Any help in this area????

Now that I've typed this out (multiple times on different forums) I can see a pretty big downside to the pull cables, unscrewing the brush and screwing it back on for each stroke. With the rods you screw in on and then run it back and forth until done...

I would still like some feedback on the cable systems if anyone has experience with them.

Also a good brand for the rod system, something that wont bend and break as much as the cheap ones I've used in the past
Old June 21, 2016, 06:41 PM   #2
kilimanjaro

The pull-through kits are fine for cleaning in the field, but the push rods are the best for a good scrubbing on the bench.

Compact cleaning kits are great where a small kit is needed, such as a week-long hunt and hike, but the car and cabin can hold a standard cleaning kit without any trouble, it's not really a required feature.
Old June 21, 2016, 06:47 PM   #3
Fal 4 Me

I have the Otis kit and like it. It came with a couple of cables, so one can have the brush and another the patch holder so I don't quite get what you mean by unscrewing the brush each time. It as came with a small rod for cleaning the breach. The biggest issue i have with the kit is that stores typically only carry the larger patches and not the smaller patches for .223.

As far as cleaning rods, I hear good things about the Dewey one piece rods.
Old June 21, 2016, 06:49 PM   #4
Grizz12

I was under the impression that you run the cable down the barrel, screw on whatever attachment you need and then pull it out, unscrew so you can slide the cable back down the barrel , screw on the attachment and repeat as needed??
Old June 21, 2016, 10:15 PM   #5
Fal 4 Me

No, I just slide it completely through from the breach to the muzzle. There is a piece you can use to form a t handle which just slides in and out in a second. There are some good tutorials on YouTube that explains it all. It's a good system in my opinion.
Old June 22, 2016, 12:13 AM   #6
johnwilliamson062

I have the Otis Elite. Very happy with it and use it for the vast vast majority of cleaning. There is a short brass rod included in mine.
I still have a cleaning rod, but it rarely gets used.
Most who are against the pull though systems seem to think they are bubba's weed whip line or a cotton bore snake.
Old June 22, 2016, 07:51 AM   #7
Grizz12

Quote:
I have the Otis Elite.
Thats the one I've been looking at
Old June 22, 2016, 07:56 AM   #8
Grizz12

I did the youtube thing but the videos were 4 or more years old and did not do a good job of explaining what was in the kit of how to use it.

I did see in one of the manufactures videos and explanation of the "T" handle but it looked pretty weak and a little too thin to be used, how do you like yours? I've been looking at the elite kit, which kit do you have?
Old June 22, 2016, 08:39 AM   #9
Fal 4 Me

I have the Otis Elite kit. I don't use the t handle, so I can't say how strong it is. I just wrap the cable around my hand and that gives me the grip I need.

I like the kit, have used it with all my guns and haven't run into any issues, other than the smaller sized patches being hard to find in stores.
Old June 22, 2016, 10:01 AM   #10
F. Guffey

In the big inning of the Internet and reloading forums I disagreed with pushing a metal rod through the barrel because the rod had to be supported by to bore to prevent the rod from bending. I thought pushing a cleaning rod from the muzzle to the breach was a bad habit; I did not agree that the tapper in the muzzle was caused by the cleaning rod and now after all these years reloaders are using modified cases to run the rod through.

I have soft chains and fabric cord for cleaning bores, it is not possible to push a cord and or chain but both devises are barrel friendly.

Then there were those 3 cleaning rods with joints that did made that bump sound when running back and forth through the bore. I ground the joints smooth and then taped them; I never agreed with running them back and forth. And there is no better way to keep the rod straight than pulling it.

And there was the bore snake; by that time I made/put together a bore cleaning system. It does not taper the muzzle, it can not lock up or jam.

F. Guffey
Old June 22, 2016, 10:25 AM   #11
F. Guffey

And I have this book; it is a book of award winning pictures taken by photographers that were at the right place at the right time. One photographer took a picture of a bullet leaving the muzzle; not really, the bullet had left the muzzle by a few feet but the details of the sequence of events were in detail. The photographer won an award; time past and then someone at the arsenal saw the picture. Up until that time folks at the arsenal thought the round left the barrel in a cloud of smoke and they thought the taper at the muzzle was caused by the cleaning rod. Anyhow the picture provided detail so clear the rifling in the bore could be counted.

I have given consideration to the origin of the phrase “How did he do that?” The picture was taken on equipment that was not fast/high speed.

F. Guffey
Old June 22, 2016, 12:14 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

"...cable/pull through..." Used by armies, everywhere, for eons. Whether you use a pull through or a rod really makes no difference. Mind you, if you've done something daft, you can't scrub with the pull through.
Why would you buy a whole new kit unless somebody swiped what you've been using? Just curious.
Old June 22, 2016, 12:16 PM   #13
Grizz12

Quote:
Why would you buy a whole new kit unless somebody swiped what you've been using? Just curious.
I broke what I was using, as I explained in the first sentence
Old June 23, 2016, 10:17 AM   #14
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW062
Most who are against the pull though systems seem to think they are bubba's weed whip line or a cotton bore snake.
I love my weed wacker line system for 22lr.
Old June 24, 2016, 01:46 PM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

I have the Otis kit, too. A good tool if you clean your barrels from breech to muzzle only, and necessary if you are to do that with self-loaders that let you access the chamber from behind.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 24, 2016, 02:51 PM   #16
JWT

I use an Otis pull cleaning kit for my .17hmr rifles. Had little success pushing patches through the small caliber barrels with a rod. Use rods for everything else.
Old July 20, 2016, 09:15 PM   #17
Soclosenotnear

I've been contemplating a new cleaning kit. That Otis kit looks great, but pricey. Any similar kits for less dollars?