The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 19, 2006, 05:55 PM   #26
riverrat66

Quote:
Too cold for outdoor crime
The cops always love it when we have a good cold spell because crime always goes down! The only arrests they make are the guys wanting to get inside out of the cold.

I agree with most of what AK103K said except the wind chill part. I've worked outside when it was -10F but when the wind was blowing (off Lake Erie) that -10F became -50F, BIG difference! Try spending 8 hours outside in that. It can be done but it's a lot more difficult because exposed skin will freeze real quick. It's impossible to NOT wear gloves in temperatures of -50F whether it's actual temperature or wind chill temperature. Right now it's 12F and the wind chill temp is 3F w/10mph winds. Yesterday it was 6F with wind gusts up to 65mph, that's dangerous.

16 days and counting I'm going to sunny Florida!
Old February 19, 2006, 08:22 PM   #27
snolden

Remember to get out and actually SHOOT when it is that cold. I did quite a bit of shooting earlier this winter in 15-20 degree weather (it only gets below zero at night here in Arizona (oh, yeah, I am at 5100 feet)).

I found that I can't feel my trigger reset very well with gloves. I am ok, but still failed to reset very well about twice in 100 times.

No other equipment problems as long as you use name brand equipment and relatively new ammo.

Even in a big heavy jacket WITH a sweater and gloves, my Beretta's trigger guard is big enough that my normal draw is not affected much.
Old February 19, 2006, 08:36 PM   #28
riverrat66

Practice, Practice, Practice

+1 what snolden said! If you don't actually try it you won't know if you can do it or not and I would practice until I could do it in my sleep.
Old February 20, 2006, 02:45 AM   #29
DTakas

Doesn’t matter how cold it is under normal circumstances I don’t ever button my coat. The only exception is if I’m going to be outside for a prolonged period of time. As far as going to and from work or out shopping etc. I’m find for the short times I’m outside and if It’s really bad I simply hold the coat shut with my hands. I work security in Akron OH it was 4 degrees F last night and I was going in and out of buildings doing rounds on third shift in short sleeves all night. You just got to build up a tolerance.
Old February 20, 2006, 02:54 AM   #30
IndianaDean

It's pretty darned cold here in Indy too. I have a denim jacket with built in holster pockets. I wear a thermal parka under it. I also have a Coronado leather car coat I wear over a parka. I usually then leave the car coat unbuttoned for quick access to my holster compartment.

The denim jacket has zip up holster compartments.