The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 27, 2016, 09:37 PM   #1
'88Scrat

Noise Cancelling Earmuffs

Wondering if anyone could suggest a good pair of ear muffs that allow any noise under a certain db to be heard but cancel out any noise over that threshold. Say a pair that cancels any noise over 70 db but allows anything >69 db through to be heard.

I'm afraid I'm not doing a very job of describing what I'm looking for...

Any ideas?
Old July 27, 2016, 09:58 PM   #2
Chaz88

Not sure what the decibel canceling level is for them but there are a lot of electronic muffs that should work for you. Look them up and the specifications should tell you if they will do what you want.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old July 27, 2016, 10:32 PM   #3
Boogershooter

I'm not sure of the decibel levels but I have several pair of the electric muffs and all are about the same. You can hear everything around you and even distant noises. A mid level clap of the hands will trigger the muffs to work. I make my kids wear them and I love them.
Old July 27, 2016, 11:29 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

I have a couple pair of these: Walker's Razor Slim ... muffs

They work reasonably well. I haven't had them long enough to find out whether or not they're a "good" option - particularly in the longevity/durability category.

With or without earplugs underneath, they work well enough for me to hear other people approaching the range (out in the boonies and I'm usually there alone in the morning); and they're nice to have when shooting with or instructing a child*.

That model also has a 'line-in' jack, so I can listen to music or the radio when I'm at the range alone by hooking up my phone, but I can still hear what's going on around me if I balance the volume correctly (phone output volume vs earmuff volume).

*If you use them with a child young enough to not really understand how to operate the volume and set a comfortable level, be sure to adjust the volume with your own ears before putting them on the kid's head.
Old July 27, 2016, 11:36 PM   #5
Jim Watson

First, understand that "noise cancelling earmuffs" are not what you get in shooting ear protection. You get a circuit that cuts off electronic transmission of sound at the upper limit, usually 85 dB which is a number they get from OSHA. The hearing protection is entirely due to the insulation.
A good muff at 30 dB NRR is the same protection whether it is passive or electronic.

The electronics are good if you need to hear chit chat between shots.
Like if you are a range officer or competition RO/SO.
Old July 28, 2016, 01:46 AM   #6
shootbrownelk

They're nice if you have lost most of your hearing, as I have. I have Walker's Alpha and Peltors......I prefer the Peltors.
Old July 28, 2016, 01:36 PM   #7
thaHooligan

I bought some electronic peltors at walmart a few months ago. I showed them the amazon price on my phone and got them for about 15 or 20 bux cheaper than what walmart had them priced at.
Old July 28, 2016, 01:56 PM   #8
mehavey

I've had the Peltor 7s for many many years now, and probably consider them the industry standard.

The TacPro has replaced them, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these.
Old July 28, 2016, 02:16 PM   #9
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW
First, understand that "noise cancelling earmuffs" are not what you get in shooting ear protection.
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW
A good muff at 30 dB NRR is the same protection whether it is passive or electronic.

The electronics are good if you need to hear chit chat between shots.
Like if you are a range officer or competition RO/SO.
Or taking a new shooter to a busy range. I make sure everyone has ear plugs in, then electronic muffs with the sound turned all the way up so we can hear one another.

Last edited by zukiphile; August 1, 2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old July 28, 2016, 03:18 PM   #10
FITASC

Walker and Peltor make some of the best at the higher cost end. The db reduction rating really doesn't give you the true story, but at least it lets you compare models to some degree.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 28, 2016, 03:40 PM   #11
mehavey

Let's put it this way, My Peltor-7s actually improve my hi-freq hearing.
(But don't tell my wife)
Old July 29, 2016, 04:01 AM   #12
firewrench044

I am very happy with my Peltors-

1 set is 16 years old, my wife liked them so much I had to get her a set

they amplify sound below 85db ( range commands and conversation )

and shut off noise above that threshold

You can also purchase new padding for them ( a health kit ? )

They are comfortable enough that I have found myself still wearing them
on a cold range changing targets, I forgot I was wearing them
Old July 30, 2016, 09:29 AM   #13
qrz

I out thought myself w/ the pair I have. It has separate battery and volume control on each muff. Figured if one ear lost volume, I'd still have the other side. I think I would prefer one volume control w/ two batterys in parallel. The volume control on mine turn in opposite directions. Not a big deal, just a reminder when I use them to balance them out. I tried one ear and save the other side, works, but just another reminder to me. They have become like my old truck. I wished it would just quit so I can rationalize another truck, but it keeps running after 21 years.