The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 5, 2016, 02:56 PM   #1
Chubbo

Non plastic handguards for Mini14

I have a "1984" vintage Mini 14 with a factory folding stock, that I have replaced the plastic pistol grip handle, that broke, with a hand built handle that I made from aluminum. Ruger would not sell me a replacement handle, so I said I'll make one the way I want it. It has the same grip angle as a 1911 pistol, and has 1911 grip bushings that will accept any full size 1911 grips, and has a compartment that holds two spare rounds, with a latching cover. The only thing made from "soy bean/ horse manure plastic", is the handguard. since I have a hatred of anything made from plastic in firearms construction, I would like to replace it with one of wood, or metal. So far I have had no luck finding one. Anyone know where I might find one? ahttps://thefiringline.com/forums/att...d=1467747258SS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02379.JPG (124.1 KB, 115 views)
Old July 5, 2016, 08:20 PM   #2
Minorcan

Nice looking rifle. The early Minis had wooden top covers. The one I had would fit on a newer Mini where the plastic cover goes. May fi yours as well since the folding stocks were on early Minis. You can pick them up used on SnaBay and other sites fairly cheap.
Old July 9, 2016, 11:19 AM   #3
Chubbo

Lost Stock

I have lost the Stock that came on my 1984 ss Mini 14 Rifle. I found the box & all the paperwork that it came with it, but not the wood stock & handguard. I must have put it in the attic of my house, for safe keeping, and it has been covered with blown in insulation. I just spent the last two days searching for it, in every nook & cranny in the house. Thanks Minorcan, for the Information on the stock wood handguards fitting. I have also spent a lot of time on the internet looking for a wood handguard to replace the plastic one that is on the rifle now, with no success. I have become computer illiterate, and maybe I am not looking in the right places, and maybe not for the right thing, a (stock wood handguard), but evidently they are very scarce, or nobody wants to sell theirs, or I am doing something Very wrong. Funny, the "soy bean / horse manure" handguard that my rifle has on it now is beginning to look better, and better all the time. I might just have to give up the search.
Old July 9, 2016, 02:54 PM   #4
turkeestalker

It's pricey and will take a little work, but looking at your grip I'm thinking you won't much mind.
http://www.gunville.com/products/rug...repro-top-wood
Old July 10, 2016, 12:39 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Gunparts lists a wooden hand guard, currently sold out of course, at $26.10. No mention of who made it. Series 180's.
Originals are fibreglass, not plastic. GP wants $16.40 for a non-ventilated version. $19.25 for ventilated.
They list steel, SS and wood for Series 181-186's. Also sold out.
No mention when or if they'll get more. Might be worth contacting 'em anyway though.
There was a wooden one on Evil-bay in 2015. Guy wanted $65 for it. OUCH.
Old July 12, 2016, 03:41 AM   #6
bamaranger

two

There are two wooden handguards on Ebay right now. Don't know if they will fit your rifle.....go have a look.

I traded into a wooden handguard for my Mini30 a few years back. The guard came off an early Mini14.....just snapped right on my Mini30........and looks great.
Old July 13, 2016, 02:00 AM   #7
johnandersonm777

The rifle looking great! Use Walnut wood HANDGUARDS for alleviation shooting.