The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 31, 2007, 06:56 PM   #1
ikiddp5

PT-111 Magazine catch trouble?

I post this in the taurusarmed.net but I haven't received an answer yet so I post It here to see if someone knows something about it:

I'm about to buy a Pt-111 but have my doubts because a friend has one and when we go to the range almost always it fails to shoot because the magazine disengages when we are shooting and the slide doesn't enter a fresh round into the chamber. I shoot a lot and I own several guns: FN P-9, Walther P-5C, CZ P-01, Walther PP, and have never experienced that failure. I'm not sure if it is a particular problem with this gun or if it is a bad design problem. The question is: Have anybody of you people suffered this issue with your PT-111?
Old September 1, 2007, 06:58 AM   #2
ikiddp5

Bumped
Old September 1, 2007, 08:26 AM   #3
PT111

I haven' t had any problems with mine at all. Sounds like a problem with that particular gun. Last time at the range a fellow with a brand new S&W MP had his magazine fall out and could not get one to stay in. Happens in all types and brands.
Old September 1, 2007, 04:41 PM   #4
ikiddp5

Thanks PT111
Old September 1, 2007, 06:08 PM   #5
David the Gnome

It's half user-error and half design-error. The magazine release is in the exact spot where my thumb naturally rests when shooting two-handed. Therefore, when I shoot the gun my thumb hits the magazine release and the gun fails to feed. My PT111 was flawless except for this one glaring problem (and a slight sight adjustment). I had to sell this gun because I could not find a comfortable way to use it without hitting the magazine release accidentally at least every other mag. Go to the store and grip one to see if your hand fits it ok. I found it to be a great shooting gun with very light felt recoil. If it wasn't for that magazine release I'd still have and carry it.