The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 4, 2017, 05:37 PM   #26
tangolima

I am certainly fond of sks. But it is not without in-born deficiency. The trigger that is.

I don't mean the trigger pull being lousy, but rather the sear-hammer engagement being negative. I have seen it in more than one rifle. When the trigger is pulled, the hammer creeps forward before it drops. If the pull is aborted before the hammer drops, the sear doesn't fully rest. That's dangerous.

I corrected mine in no time. It is safe and has a decent trigger pull.

-TL
Old May 5, 2017, 07:32 AM   #27
Hdonly

I found a guide for improving the SKS trigger a while back. I plan on working both of mine. Should improve things alot. My Norinco has positive engagement. The new one is neutral.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:31 AM   #28
kraigwy

Quote:
has the advantage of using lightweight stripper clips to carry ammo and it can be topped off during a lull. The AK does not have these benefits. Also the SKS is much more accurate than an AK.
The M14 has. The M14 has a 20 mag, but also has a clip guide where the magazine can be recharged with 5 round clips while its in the rifle. I believe the clip guide was added to the M14 because it was a complaint with the Garand which didn't have the ability to recharge the mag (clip) while in the rifle.

Accuracy??? I don't think I'll get into that here.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 7, 2017, 11:33 AM   #29
tangolima

SKS could be more accurate than AK, which I don't know as a fact. But after tinkering on my sks for months, I am convinced that it was NOT really designed for accuracy.

The biggest problem is the bedding. There is no screw to hold the action down. The tang hook requires a finite amount of slop in the bedding, or the hook cannot engage the frame. A stout spring is there to take out the slop. The action can shift under recoil because of this. I was about to replace the hook with a screw. But I decided to leave that alone, but to use other methods to minimize the slop. This is perhaps the first thing to do to improve accuracy.

-TL
Old October 4, 2017, 04:20 AM   #30
bamaranger

greatest battle rifle

C'mon now, what would George Patton say?

Note that the SKS is nearly as long and heavy as a Garand, yet fires a cartridge with only about half the range and penetrating power. To be truly lightweight and handy, the SKS needs to be about the size and weight of the M1 carbine, which it is not. (aside: a Mini30 is). I don't see the SKS 10 rd box has any practical advantage over the Garand's 8 rd enbloc. Partially loaded? Bang off what's left at the enemy and stuff in a fresh 8 rd clip. The deadly M1 ping signaling empty? I don't buy it Accuracy.....not many SKS rifles at Camp Perry.

The SKS was obsolete with the adoption of the AK, and it left front line service with the Russians at about the same time. The SKS was essentially a stop gap and fall back design while the AK went through it's birthing process. Not only did the 10 rd box put it behind the AK, but so to the capability for selective/automatic fire. Comrad has been big on that for a long time, remember all those PPsh's in WWII? And the AK is shorter, and arguably lighter.

Durable, reliable, and acceptably accurate, ....I'll buy that. When they were under $100 bucks, and a case of import ammo about the same price if not less, they were a deal and I can remember armloads of them going out gunshow doors. Guys like'em, as the OP and numerous posts have stated.

But the AK, and the Garand for that matter, outclasses the stopgap carbine (that is rifle size) from comrad Simonov.