The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 19, 2012, 11:52 AM   #1
unknwn

Butler Creek/ Uncle Mike's revolver nipples

I'm polling my two favorite black powder sites to learn what I can about the stainless steel nipples that Butler Creek/ Uncle Mike's brand produced for percussion cap firearms.
I have found a supply of these nipples at reasonable pricing, and since I got a positive response from the supply house about the stock levels I'm interested in purchasing, I thought that maybe I ought to inquire among folk who might know more about these (no longer produced?) stainless steel replacement nipples.
I look to outfit a couple of ROAs & an ASM with the hex headed version, and if the supply will provide enough, a half dozen or so late model Pietta revolvers with them.
The description tells me that the nipples use #11 caps.
Can anybody tell of thier first hand experience with this brand of nipple?
Old November 19, 2012, 12:50 PM   #2
wogpotter

I have a set fitted to my Uberti '58 Remington right now. They work great with no problems & yes they do take #11 CCI caps just about perfectly. They aren't shiny chrome type S/S BTW, more of a light grey that goes well with blue finished cylinders. These have had a little breaking in & have darkened a tad more.

I'm a little confused by the "hex headed version" reference though, mine have the old standard "2-flats" type or wrench fitting. There is very little room in the nipple recesses of the '58 Remmy cylinder design, so any socket type wrench would have to be pretty thin-walled to fit. Almost a box wrench!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 19, 2012, 04:45 PM   #3
unknwn

So far as "hex-headed version" goes, the Uncle Mike's that were made for the ROA 12-28tpi application were made to mimic the original Ruger nipple wrench profile. From what I've been able to see from the product photos, the metric sized (6x.75mm) version have the standard two flat nipple profile like the original Pietta nipples.
Pale grey unpolished stainless is fine by me,I don't need bright shiny to convince me of anything.
How do the nipples compare to the original equipment Pietta nipples?
Is the flash hole or flame channel or striking surface of any remarkable difference from the original Pietta nipples?
Old November 19, 2012, 11:30 PM   #4
Hellgate

unknwn,
The BC/Uncle Mikes have smaller flash holes than the "as issued" nipples. They fit the #10 Remington and the #11 CCI caps.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old November 20, 2012, 08:41 AM   #5
wogpotter

I can't speak for the Pietta units as I only have a Uberti, but the flash channel is smaller than the factory one.
These Uberti are 12X28 & have flats, not a hex. The Uncle Mike's spec lists them as " Uncle Mikes #2866. 12X28tpi, Same as for: Ruger Old Army. Thompson Seneca rifle, Colt revolvers" What cat # are they listing for the hex head versioins? Maybe there are more than one 12X28 variants?

IIRC the Uberti has a longer cone than the Pietta & a different thread as well.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 20, 2012, 07:05 PM   #6
robhof

robhof

I managed to pick up a few sets off of Ebay awhile back for my ROA. I got a good deal because the seller didn't specify they were for the ROA, only they had hex heads, so for the price I took a chance and got 2 sets, one new and one apparently used. They have smaller vent holes than the factory Rugernipples and work fine with the # 11"s .
Old November 25, 2012, 06:24 PM   #7
North East Redneck

I purchased these nipples for my ROA. Then I purchased some Treso nipples for it. Nothing against the uncle mikes, but the treso nipples are better. Harder material, sharper edge on the cap seats. Just my 0.02.