The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 19, 2012, 12:18 PM   #1
JonM

Remington 700 Stock Upgrade

I'm looking to upgrade my Rem 700 .308. The stock is on the top of my list. I was looking at the chaote ultimate varmiter and thought that was what I was going to get, but after getting a chance to look at one and handle it in person I think I'll pass. It seems to be a well built stock and no doubt better than the stock the gun came with, but I wasn't impressed with the feel or looks. I don't think I would be happy with it long term and I only want to buy 1. Now I'm looking at the HS Precision thumbhole or the Bell & Carlson A5. I don't know of anywhere locally to look at them so I figured I would ask my friends here that have either what their thoughts are. What did you think of the fit and finish? Was there really much difference in accuracy?

Also, if anyone has either of these stocks that they would be willing to part with I am looking to buy.

Thanks,
Jon
Old September 19, 2012, 12:22 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

Do you have a heavy barreled 700, or a sporter?

What do you intend to use the gun for?

Personally, I just don't like the looks of the HS Precision Thumbhole stocks, I would much prefer one of their stocks without the thumbhole. I do however, like the B&C A5 stock. I got a chance to shoot one with a 700 chambered for .260 Rem, and now it is on my list as an upgrade for my Remington 700 Varmint .308.
Old September 19, 2012, 01:19 PM   #3
jmr40

Neither are my 1st choice, but the B&C will do the same thing for less money in my experince.
Old September 19, 2012, 02:08 PM   #4
4EVERM-14

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront
I have two of the Tactical Medalist#2. I think they are a good value for the money. The #5 is also nice but to pricey for my budget.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old September 19, 2012, 03:20 PM   #5
Saltydog235

Got a straight up plain Jane medalist on my 7mm08 700 Varmint and love it. Didn't cost a whole lot and its heads and shoulders above the factory stock.
Old September 19, 2012, 05:27 PM   #6
50 shooter

Myself and a friend both bought the VSSF Rem. 700's in .308 when they first hit the market, using Fed. GMM we could keep our groups at 1/2"-3/4" all day at 100 yards. He bought one of the choate ultimate sniper stocks and we swapped it, dialed it back in and it would shoot one ragged hole all the time.

If I still had the rifle I wouldn't hesitate using that stock, for the price its hard to beat.
No time for rearranging.
Old September 19, 2012, 06:16 PM   #7
warbirdlover

I put a Boyds laminated stock on my Ruger 77 Mk II all-weather to replace the ugly paddle stock. I also had a gunsmith pillar and glass bed it and free float the barrel. It was a shooter before but now it's got to be one of the best shooting 77's on the planet. When I'm shooting well I can put them all in one hole at 100 yards from the bench (3 shot group under calm wind and good conditions). This isn't bad for a .300 Win Mag.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Thumbh...ngton-s/57.htm

Here is a group when I'm only shooting so-so. Still well under an inch.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg agoody.jpg (202.5 KB, 516 views)
File Type: jpg agoody2.jpg (29.6 KB, 499 views)
File Type: jpg agoody3.jpg (45.7 KB, 495 views)

Last edited by warbirdlover; September 19, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old September 19, 2012, 06:27 PM   #8
riche

I have 3 model 700's, and one of them had a scratched up black plastic stock that I wasn't happy with. So I bought a Boyds Thumbhole featerweight stock. I really like it, it came fully inletted and barreled action dropped right in perfect. It looks great, and feels good when shouldered and being laminated its much more rigid than a regular walnut stock.
Old September 19, 2012, 06:30 PM   #9
warbirdlover

That's a sweet looking Remington you have there!! How does it shoot? I had to have my Boyds pillar and glass bedded and the barrel free floated to get it to shoot.
Old September 19, 2012, 10:22 PM   #10
riche

Warbirdlover, Yours looks pretty nice too. And those are some nice groups from that Ruger. As for mine, I only shot it to sight it in, and the group was about 1 1/4", I 'm sure it will do better, I haven't tried working up a load for it yet, just don't get to the range as often as I would like. I have a mod.700 in 243 that I got recently with the plastic stock that I want to get another thumbhole for it. That one is gonna be pepper like yours.
Old September 19, 2012, 11:04 PM   #11
JonM

My gun is a 26" heavy barrel varmit. Eventually I would like to get to the 1000 yrd range. So far 350yrds is the furthest I have shot. That was about a 4inch group. Not quite MOA but that was off a bipod with Federal GMM. I'm sure the gun will out shoot me anyways. I've adjusted the factory trigger down on the weight and I have a decent scope so I believe the stock is the weakest link.
Old September 19, 2012, 11:06 PM   #12
JonM

I like the looks of the Boyds' but for this set-up I would like the tactical look.
Old September 20, 2012, 09:26 AM   #13
warbirdlover

See the link I put in my post for the Boyds stock. Maybe not what you're looking for but it's really nice.
Old September 20, 2012, 06:46 PM   #14
JonM

@ Warbird ~That is a really nice looking stock, especially for $100.
Old September 20, 2012, 08:28 PM   #15
warbirdlover

Thanks. Actually was $140 since I also had it laser checkered.

And the gunsmith bill was over $200!!

Old September 20, 2012, 10:19 PM   #16
Regolith

Personally I'm boycotting HS Precision, and I suggest you do too. They are not good people.
Old September 23, 2012, 03:54 AM   #17
JonM

I ended up ordering the Medalist A2. I figured I can space the recoil pad if I want to lengthen the LOP and a buddy of mine said he has made several of the adjustable cheek pieces if I want one. With the $200 I saved I ordered a PTG magwell and an AICS 5 rnd mag. Now the wait is on...
Old September 24, 2012, 05:40 PM   #18
Flatbush Harry

I have a B&C Medalist A5, glass-bedded, on my Rem 700 SPS-Varmint in .308. It is comfortable, the weight soaks up recoil and I've been totally pleased with it. I got mine from Stockys' stocks. Excellent customer service. Good prices.

FH

PS-I've put B&C Medalist Sporter stocks on a Rem 700 SPS SS in .308 and a Rem 700 XCR II in .375 H&H. The latter got the Weatherby-style stock with Monte Carlo and cast-off to help with recoil. Delighted all the way around.
Old September 24, 2012, 07:19 PM   #19
p5200

I put a B&C Medalist A2 on my 700 AAC-sd which seems to perform very good. The comb of the stock seems like it sits pretty high cause I have to cram my cheek into the comb in order to get my eye low enough to see through my scope. The only rings to fit at the shop where I bought the gun were DNZ one piece base/ring combo and the scope is a Weaver t36. I'm guessing, what I need is a little taller set of rings shooting from the bench. I'm not sure, if he put low or medium rings on cause he through the package away. I hate to have to get different rings and maybe a picatinny rail after paying $50.00 for the DNZs but, may not have a choice.
Old September 25, 2012, 12:02 AM   #20
JonM

Should I expect much difference in accuracy with a stiffer stock?

Anyone have any advice on doing the ADL to DBM conversion?

Thanks,
Jon
Old October 2, 2012, 08:46 AM   #21
JonM

It's all together now.

The gun and stock paired up great, I wish I could say the same for the stock and bottom metal. It ended up being alot more "inletting" than I was expecting to get the PTG bottom metal to fit into the stock. The majority of the reviews led me to believe it was going to be 20-30 minutes with a file to fit it up. That was not the case. The bottom metal is wider, longer and thicker than the original piece. Luckly I have access to a mill. Doing that all with a file & dremel would have been very trying on my patience. I opened up the stock a little bit all the way around side to side, took the front side about 3/16" further toward the forearm and the back side 3/8" further and .200" deeper. Now it is a nice snug fit and functions nice. It looks like a new gun. Although it was a little more work than I had anticipated I am glad I did it.Vise.jpg

New Stock 1.jpg
Old October 2, 2012, 09:08 AM   #22
taylorce1

Nice looking work on the stock. Did you skim bed the action? The reason I ask is I think even with the bedding block your rifle will benifit from a skim bed job. I know my Savage rifle did, every time I took it in and out of it's HS stock to work on it my POI would shift a little bit. Since I had it skim bed when I torque it down t still shoots same POI as it did before.
Old October 2, 2012, 08:07 PM   #23
JonM

I haven't yet. Haven't even got to shoot it yet. That is in the plans though. Any recomendations on a good bedding kit?
Old October 2, 2012, 09:29 PM   #24
lefteye

Not cheap, but before you make a decision you should check out Brown Precision stocks.