The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 27, 2012, 09:29 AM   #1
mississaugagunnut

AR Question

Hello,
I recently purchased a used Norinco 14.5" barreled CQ-A rifle. I know, it is a cheap Chinese POS, but I got it for a G17 Gen 4 that was doing nothing in my safe.
The problem. This rifle shoots to the right, way right, like about 12" or more. The rear sight must be wound right over to the left to hit paper. Once it is the rifle produces tight groups. I mounted a scope and there is not enough windage adjustment in the scope to hit paper. The gun does have a Spikes Tactical free floating hand guard installed.

My thoughts are that the barrel may be over torqued when the hand guard was installed. Do you have any other ideas? The rifling looks clean.

Thanks
Old September 27, 2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Ridge_Runner_5

With iron sights, if you flip the gun over and stand it up on the sights, does it contact the surface on all 4 points? It's possible the front sight might be canted a bit...

If the scope is doing it, too, though...is there any wiggle between the barrel and the upper receiver? In any direction? It almost sounds like the barrel either has an angle on it, or is even bent.
Old September 27, 2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Technosavant

I think Ridge Runner is on the right track.

My first guess would be a front sight base that isn't straight... this can even be caused by the barrel shifting as the barrel nut is tightened- usually the indexing pin keeps this from happening, but it's not unknown for there to be a bit of play between the indexing pin in the barrel extension and the upper receiver.

However, that would not cause a problem with an optic mounted.

I would suspect that the barrel itself may need to come off for a close look and it may even require replacement (if bent). You may want to find a gunsmith who knows what they're doing to help you out... it's easy for me to say "get a new barrel," because it isn't my money. I don't want to recommend you to just start throwing parts at it.
Old September 27, 2012, 07:01 PM   #4
The Long Shot

If the barrel is wiggling, check to see if your barrel nut is torqued down to the right torque; if that doesn't work take the barrel nut and barrel off and put some blue loctite on the barrel extension (to take up the space between the barrel extension and the upper), It's called barrel bedding, you can look up how to do it. If that doesn't work, try truing the upper with one of these. If that doesn't work, you have a bent, or messed up barrel. All of the fixes up to replacing the barrel are pretty cheap, around $30 for everything I suggested. I think that truing the upper will most likely solve your problems. Good luck

Check to see if your bore is in line with your rail up top by mounting a laser on the top rail and boresighting it at the same time. If the rifle is level, and the laser dots aren't vertically lined up, your barrel most likely isn't lined up with your upper, your pic rail on top of your upper is off a bit, or least likely your barrel is bent.

Before you get a new barrel or upper take all of the steps I mentioned in the first paragraph. If the two lasers still don't line up, or you are still shooting way to one side after all of those steps have been completed, you have a messed up barrel.

(Oh i almost forgot to mention if you have a wiggley barrel after you true the upper, bed the barrel again.)

Good Luck.

Last edited by The Long Shot; September 27, 2012 at 07:07 PM.