The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 6, 2010, 10:18 AM   #1
jeremiah

12 ga with sabots for wild boar

I am going on a guided wild boar hunt and am just wondering if my 12 slug gun would be fine to use the guides said the shots will be within 100 yards. I am very comfortable shooting this gun out to 150-200 yards. Just wondering what slugs have better penetration I use lightfields for deer.
Old July 6, 2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Forget the sabot and just use Brenneke slugs. It will be cheaper and in my opinion more effective. Chances are 60 yards or less will be the norm depending on where you hunt and you are still good to 100 if you do some practice with them first. Doesn't matter if your shotgun is rifled or smooth, the slug won't notice the difference.

Good hunting.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 6, 2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Nnobby45

I agree that the very hard Brenneks slugs are excellent with plenty of penetration. Smooth bores only.

Sabots are fine as long as the barrel is rifled, as I assume yours is since you said slug gun. Don't use Sabots in a smooth bore, nor regular slugs in a rifled bore.
Old July 6, 2010, 02:33 PM   #4
jeremiah

I do have a slug gun with a rifled barrel it is a bolt action mossberg 12 ga I also have a smooth bore remington that I can use it looks like on the brenneke website that they have a sabot are they good it is the Brenneke k.o sabot. I want to use the 12 ga if possible because I am very comfortable with it I also have a remington sp-10 10 ga I could use.
Old July 6, 2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Old Guard Dog

Brennake says the KO slugs can be used in smoothbore or rifled barrels. I've tried them in both. About the same accuracy. Remmington Sabots in rifled barrel gave me the best groups.
Old July 6, 2010, 07:47 PM   #6
mpd61

Speaking strictly without bias or emotion...I'm certain the Boars would rather you NOT use either type of 12 gauge slug, but # 9 birdshot.

Seriously just go bust some hog and don't overthink it.
Old July 7, 2010, 10:27 AM   #7
jeremiah

thanks mpd61 I may have been overthinking the hunt I will be using my 12 ga with sabots in it I currently use lightfields in the mossberg slug gun I own I will just use them. I have never hunted boar and was falling for all the hype from people that I work with that have hunted them before I will just use the slug gun as I am very comfortable shooting it,

thanks again
Old July 11, 2010, 12:55 PM   #8
LSnSC

Sabots or the Lightfields will kill any hog your going to encounter. They arent bulletproof, or even very hard to kill. If you believe 50 % of what you hear or read about hogs, thats about 50% too much. My family was in the hog hunting business for a long time and so much of what I read on the internet and see on TV makes me chuckle.
Old July 11, 2010, 10:51 PM   #9
jeremiah

thanks for the info I did fall for all the hype I will be using my 12 ga slug gun with lightfield 3" sabots in it they do a good job on deer.

I also will be taking my t/c encore 300 mag along.

thanks again
Old July 12, 2010, 07:58 AM   #10
Doyle

Jeremiah, do yourself (and your shoulder) a favor and leave those 3" slugs at the store. A 3" slug does not give you any true effectiveness over a 2 3/4" slug. In fact, it may do worse because the extra recoil may cause flinching and inaccuracy.
Old July 12, 2010, 08:13 AM   #11

My buddy shot a 400 lb. black bear with a 12 guage lightfield. I pitty the pig that crosses your path.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old July 12, 2010, 12:30 PM   #12
jeremiah

thanks everyone and I will buy some 2 3/4" slugs as well. I pitty the pig who gets in my way as well with a slug gun loaded with ligtfields after seeing what it has done to deer.
Old July 12, 2010, 06:31 PM   #13
g.willikers

Oh, just get a pellet gun.
Hog hunting with a pellet gun:
(first video at the top of the page)
http://www.gamousa.com/videos.aspx
Old July 13, 2010, 02:46 PM   #14
DG45

Just curious. I've never hunted wild bore but can appreciate that you'd want the most effective slug you could get if you did. Several folks on this thread have mentioned using Brenneke slugs rather than a sabot. I'd concur thats good advice in a smoothbore, but why Brennke slugs in particular instead of oh, let's say, Remington Slugger (Foster type) slugs? I've never read anything on one of these threads that touts the ordinary Remington Slugger slug but a lot of them are sold every day. They've always been my brand of slugs, and they've always been very accurate out to about 40 yards and devastatingly effective in my 2 3/4 in chamber guns.In fact they've been good enough so that I've never even looked to see if there's anything better, because after all, dead is dead. I imagine they'd put a boar down for the count too. But if I did that kind of hunting, I too would want the most effective slugs I could get. Are Breneke slugs actually better? In what way? Or, are they cheaper for the same benefit, or more accurate at a longer range, or what?

Last edited by DG45; July 13, 2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old July 13, 2010, 04:52 PM   #15
Flipper 56

Some of those Brenneke slugs could take down a rhinocerous. I recently met someone from the Czech Republic who swears he uses them exclusively.
His largest was 12 lbs more(After the kg. to lb. conversion) than the one I took with a compound bow. Enjoy the experience, when I look at the mount hanging on the wall, it brings back some great memories.
Old July 13, 2010, 07:25 PM   #16
Doyle

Quote:
Are Breneke slugs actually better?
Not "better" . However, the Brenneke slugs are one of the few non-sabot slugs made that tend to do well in rifled slug barrels without fouling the rifling. Since they are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than sabots, using them in a rifled barrel makes sense IF your particular barrel shoots them well.

As to shooting a boar. Contrary to some people's opinions, wild boar are not armor plated. Yes, the really big ones do have a thick gristle shield covering their core organs. However, any 20ga or larger slug will penetrate down to the organs and do the job. Brand really doesn't matter at that point. Hit them in the vitals and the slug will do its job.
Old July 13, 2010, 10:35 PM   #17
jeremiah

I thank everyone for the info I am going to try some of the brenneke slugs in my mossberg 695 slug gun and see how they do.

thanks again

jeremiah
Old July 15, 2010, 11:56 AM   #18
T.A.Sharps

I think you should stick with what you are used to shooting, unless you have plenty of time to shoot a lot of the other round before the trip.
Old July 15, 2010, 02:06 PM   #19
jeremiah

thanks I was just thinking te same thing if I am used to shooting the 3" lightfields I should stick with them. They are sabots and have decent penetration

thanks

jeremiah