The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 15, 2008, 05:12 PM   #1
rgillis

Longing for a 1911 with plain flats......

I think that the Dan Wesson Razorback is one of the finest looking 1911's I've seen in years. I find the lack of forward cocking serrations and the tasteful engraving on the slide to be very appealing. The Razorback seems to be in a field unto itself, if only it were offered in .45acp. I can't recall seeing a single example of a full size 1911 with plain flats in stainless steel in many years that could be had for around 1K. Can anyone else?
Old October 15, 2008, 05:19 PM   #2
rogertc1

Stainless Springfield GI

http://www.snipercountrypx.com/showp...?productid=719
Old October 15, 2008, 05:29 PM   #3
rgillis

So right roger,
However the Springer GI is lacking a number of features offered on the Razorback, and cosmetically is not as appealing to my eyes. Those points however were not part of my original post, and in those regards the Springer GI definately is one to consider. Thanks
Old October 15, 2008, 05:52 PM   #4
Playboypenguin

The uncluttered flats of the Dan Wesson pistols are very appealing. I really like the way it looks on my CBOB.

Old October 15, 2008, 07:14 PM   #5
rgillis

We agree completely PBP. The CBOB is also on my shortlist. I talked to the folks at Dan Wesson last week to see if I could custom order a Razorback in .45acp, but they are not taking any custom orders at this time. The demand for their current offerings is just to great.

If I recall correctly don't you have 10mm in both the Glock 29 as well as the Dan Wesson? How do you compare the felt recoil of the Glock in comparison to the 1911? I tried the 10mm for the first time this week in the form of the Glock 20, I have found .40 S&W to snappy but the 10mm while snappy seemed less harsh - figure that one - I guess I wouldn't mind a 10mm but the Glock 20 is too much gun for my small hands. I'm far more accurate with a 1911 than I am with any other firearm, but I'm not sure about the 10mm out of a 1911 - in my hands anyway.
Old October 15, 2008, 07:34 PM   #6
Playboypenguin

Neither guns have bad recoil. The Dan Wesson is a good solid stainless steel gun that handles recoil very well and the Glock 29 also does very well. The G29 manages the recoil well not because of weight but because of design. The G29 has a nice wise grip that fills the palm of my hand and spreads the recoil out exceptionally well.