The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2008, 03:40 PM   #1
superfast61821

Questions about actions opening when fired.

I was at the range a while back and helped a guy sight in his Winchester 1300 for deer season. I noticed that almost everytime he fired the bolt would open under recoil. Not enough to eject the round but certainly make it visible. Is this normal, Dangerous or fixable?
Thanks.
Old January 5, 2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Tatsumi67

I have two Winchesters (including a 1300) and yeah thats normal as far as i know.
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.
Old January 5, 2008, 04:32 PM   #3
BoltWorks

I had a 1300 and it did that as well. I didn't care for that too much and traded it off.
Old January 5, 2008, 07:37 PM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

That's a design feature of the 1300 Speed action. Each time you pull the trigger, it starts the action back for you. It's perfectly normal and it's touted by the maker as a positive aspect of the design.

Denis
Old January 5, 2008, 10:29 PM   #5
dmickey

I remember seeing this at the local rifle ranges. That is the reason why I do not own a pump action anything!!!
Old January 5, 2008, 11:55 PM   #6
Niagara Shooter

I agree with DPris on that one, the 1300's big feature was the "speed pump" and with mine if i hold the mag cap and not the fore stock it will eject the shell completely, same thing with my dad's 2200. Mind you this is with brenekee 2 3/4 magnum slugs, not sure if target loads will do the same.
NS
Old January 6, 2008, 12:42 AM   #7
hksigwalther

IMO, the "feature" was not designed in the gun but was called a nifty "feature " and given a snappy name to allay any concerns about the characteristic. I'm sure, however, that Winchester had tested the gun (and previous iterations) extensively to make sure it wasn't too dangerous and just marketed the characteristic to their benefit. It occurs in other pump guns also (including my Mossbergs and Benellis). With nearly any pump gun, keeping the forearm free from hold will allow it to rack itself under recoil.
Old January 6, 2008, 02:04 AM   #8
DPris
Member Emeritus

The 1300 design is perfectly safe, and it's actually one of the fastest pumps out there. That's a feature more applicable to law enforcement use, but could be nice if attacked en masse by a lowflying herd of kamikaze geese.
I took a 1200 to an Ayoob class years ago, while shooting it one-armed it did eject on its own if the forearm was clear of the barricade we were shooting over.
Denis