The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 21, 2017, 09:31 PM   #1
TXAZ

Tikka t3x tac a1

If you've got a Tikka T3X in the TAC A1 configuration, I'd love to hear about your experiences.
What caliber
How the gun shoots
What you like
What you don't like

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 22, 2017, 06:23 PM   #2
morgaj1

Subscribing
Old October 23, 2017, 11:14 AM   #3
MrBorland

Well, I've got an early CTR in .260 Remington, which, except the modular chassis, is very similar.

How the gun shoots: In a word - incredibly. The action's smooth as silk - like the bolt rides on bearings. It's got an outstanding factory trigger, and it's a serious tack driver. The target below is the best I've shot with it, but over many groups, it averages right around 0.5 MOA with my handloads. It's good enough to shoot pennies and dimes at 100 yards, too.

What you like: I bought it to compete in some kind of mid-range tactical competition. I never did use it for that, but I still think it'd be an excellent choice. In addition to the smoothness, trigger & accuracy, I love the oversize bolt knob. I love the 10-round mag, and the mag release lever. I love the 70degree bolt rise. I love the extras that come with it (Picatinny rail, threaded barrel)

What you don't like: The .260 Remington is a very capable LR cartridge, but I think the 20" barrel is a bit short to take full advantage of the cartridge. I'd like to see it in 24" or so.

I don't love the aluminum recoil lug or cost of the T3 CTR TRG mag, but AFAIK, the T3x uses a steel recoil lug, and a re-designed and considerably cheaper mag.

AFAIK, Tikkas are built on a standard-length action, including rifles chambered in short-action cartridges (e.g. 260 Rem). It obviously doesn't make it a bad rifle, but I can't help but wonder if just a wee bit more accuracy could be squeezed from it if the action were a true short-action (and a wee bit stiffer).

I never did shoot in mid-range tactical matches, but I loved the rifle and cartridge so much, I put a 1-3x scope on it and use it as my deer rifle. It's nearly the perfect whitetail rifle, but when it comes to hunting rifles, I prefer a 3-position safety, so it's 2-position safety is something I don't like given it's current use.

My best group with my CTR:

100 yard key ring fobs: