The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 11, 2017, 09:51 AM   #1
Gatofeo

Sought: Authentic Conical Bullets for Colt's Dragoon

I recently picked up a new-in-the-box Colt's 3rd Model Dragoon, made by Colt's in the early 1980s (spare me the Italian Connection).
I'd like to find some authentically styled conical bullets for it, mostly for making paper cartridges to be used as photo props.
The conical design must be authentic, as I'll be photographing the Dragoon in period settings.
Anyone know of a commercial caster of authentic Dragoon conical bullets? I could cast them myself, but I'd have to buy a bullet mold. I've found it similarly difficult to find a mold that produces an authentic Colt 3rd Model Dragoon conical bullet.
I have Lee and Lyman conical bullet molds, but they're not of an authentic design.
Any ideas?
Old October 11, 2017, 11:23 AM   #2
Lee44ShooterCnB

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...r-3rd-m#detail

Scarce Bullet Mold for Colt .44 Caliber Revolving Rifle or 3rd Model Dragoon Revolver and Sealed Packet of .44 Caliber Combustible Cartridges

Description Colt Second Type .44 caliber bullet mold for revolving rifles and 3rd Model Dragoon revolvers. The iron double cavity mold for conical bullet and round ball has a blue finish. "COLT'S PATENT" with an apostrophe stamped on the sprue cutter. A factory "D" inspection mark is stamped on the right block. This mold is pictured and described on pages 121 and 139 of "COLT ACCOUTREMENTS 1839-1911" by Robin Rapley. This mold is a scarce and important accessory for either the .44 Caliber Colt Revolving Rifle or the Colt 3rd Model Dragoon Revolver. Package of six "44-100 Inch Calibre" Civil War "Combustible Envelope Cartridges for Remington, Colt's and Other Revolving Holster Pistols" manufactured by the American Powder Co. The unopened paper package contains a wooden block of six cartridges. This packet is a key accessory for any cased .44 caliber Colt Model 1860 Army revolver or any Army size, .44 caliber Civil War percussion revolver.

Condition The bullet mold is in very good condition and retains more than 85% of the original blue finish. The Colt markings on the sprue cutter and the inspection stamp on the right block are crisp. The mold has some scattered surface rust but no pitting and shows only storage wear. The cartridge packet is in excellent condition. The packet has not been opened and is covered with shrink wrap. The printed label is bright and clear. This is a desirable pair of accessories for a high condition percussion revolver or a .44 caliber Colt Revolving Rifle or 3rd Dragoon Revolver.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...?topic=54310.0
Old October 11, 2017, 02:37 PM   #3
maillemaker

Eras Gone has started making historical bullets based on originals.

https://www.facebook.com/erasgonemolds/

Steve