The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 22, 2013, 07:13 PM   #1
hillking2010

2013 Taurus 709 Slim

I'm thinking about buying a Taurus 709 as my first semi-auto handgun and as my first CCW. I like a lot of its features, such as the second-strike capability, SA/DA trigger, two safety types, adjustable sights, and of course the size and price. Every review I've looked at has given it good marks.

However, I've also seen a fair number of complaints where the firearm had a high number of FTE and FTL issues and had to be returned to Taurus (under the warranty of course).

My question is, have they resolved these issues with the newer guns (i.e. those that were manufactured this calendar year)? I'd like to hear from anyone who actually has a 709, especially one purchased new this year.
Old September 22, 2013, 07:15 PM   #2
thedudeabides

Taurus. Makes. Bad. Guns.

There are too many options in the price range that are better, and there is no such thing as a bad gun review these days.
Old September 22, 2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
such as the second-strike capability
Really means nothing because if you pull the trigger and it goes click, might want to rack the slide. I would.

Quote:
SA/DA trigger
Technically it is only DA when you use the second strike. Second strike capability is a play on words to use as a selling point.

Quote:
two safety types,
One safety and one gun locking mechanism. Same as a built in gun lock.

I know two people who have one and they have no functional issues.I like how narrow they are, hence the "Slim". Pricing is fair.

I have a PT145 and it functions great. Accurate and compact. Like the double stack 45 10+1.

My advice is try before you buy. Rent it at the range. Then if you buy, see what the return policy with the store may be. If they give you a few months, go shoot the snot out of it and see how she functions for you.
Old September 22, 2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
and there is no such thing as a bad gun review these days.
Disagree. Someone with a bias and tendency to stretch the truth happens on a daily basis.
Old September 22, 2013, 07:33 PM   #5
twhidd

2013 Taurus 709 Slim

I work for a small gun store part time. The last 709 we had in the store went back to Taurus a few days after the customer purchased it. The gentleman brought the gun back and asked us to send it for him.

He found what he thought was a crack in the slide where the guide rod comes through the front. Upon closer inspection, it looked to me to be inferior casting rather than a crack. None the less it to went back to Taurus.

When we got it back, the service ticket only indicated that it was "repaired". I don't think they replaced the slide. It appears as if they just filed the blemish out of the metal.

On a positive note, it was only gone for less than a week.
Old September 22, 2013, 07:45 PM   #6
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
it looked to me to be inferior casting rather than a crack. None the less it to went back to Taurus.
Slides are stainless not cast. May have been something else.
Old September 22, 2013, 08:00 PM   #7
twhidd

2013 Taurus 709 Slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreck-n-Crew View Post
Slides are stainless not cast. May have been something else.
Just because the slide is stainless steel doesn't mean that it couldn't have been investment cast.

Last edited by twhidd; September 22, 2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old September 22, 2013, 08:37 PM   #8
hillking2010

:One safety and one gun locking mechanism. Same as a built in gun lock.

It actually has two. It has a manual thumb safety and a Glock style trigger safety. It does also have the internal locking mechanism.

Thanks for the personal info, I've also thought about the PT111, have you had any issues with the 145?
Old September 22, 2013, 09:49 PM   #9
twhidd

2013 Taurus 709 Slim

Unless you're just dead set on the idea of a "second strike" capable, I would suggest a Ruger LC9 or a Smith & Wesson Shield instead of the Taurus. The prices are about the same, but both the Ruger and the Smith are better guns in my opinion.
Old September 22, 2013, 10:21 PM   #10
hillking2010

I'm not a fan of the magazine disconnect on the LC9, and I like the idea of having a single action trigger.

Those are definitely guns I'll consider though. I'm waiting for another gun show to roll around so that I can handle a few different models and see what feels best for the cost.
Old September 22, 2013, 10:32 PM   #11
Tad_T

I bought a 709 Slim in February for $299 OTD.

I like it a lot. I have had absolutely no issues with mine. It is very accurate. I have about 1000 rds through it with no failures of any kind. It is my EDC.

The long trigger pull does take a little bit to get used to at first, but once you do it is not a problem.
Old September 22, 2013, 10:45 PM   #12
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Just because the slide is stainless steel doesn't mean that it couldn't have been investment cast.
Taurus hasn't used the investment casting process since MIM. http://www.modernapplicationsnews.co...es/m003rop.htm But that doesn't include stainless slides.

Quote:
It actually has two. It has a manual thumb safety and a Glock style trigger safety.
Forgot about that.

Still not a full safety, more of a safety mechanism that doesn't always work. The purpose is to prevent accidental discharge from a snag. Can still be fired if hooked on something. But if it prevents one accident, it' worth having.

They also have them on the M&P as well as others.

Last edited by Wreck-n-Crew; September 22, 2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old September 24, 2013, 08:35 PM   #13
Justice06RR

I'll give you some advice from actual experience.

I have owned 3 of the Taurus Slim pistols. First the 740Slim, then the 709Slim, and then the 740Slim again.

I have had zero issues and malfunctions with both the 709 and 740Slim. I first bought the 740Slim about 2yrs ago. It was a great pistol and is excellent for pocket carry or IWB. Capacity is 6+1 and comes with 2mags. Recoil is a bit hefty, but that is expected for a very slim and lightweight handgun that is shooting a 40S&W. I was new to CCW at the time so I decided I wanted a 9mm instead for the reduced recoil and cheaper ammo.

I sold the 740 a few months later and downgraded to a 709Slim. You gain an extra round and get 7+1 which is nice. Recoil is more manageable with the 709. After a few months, I sold it because I upgraded to a Glock. Nothing wrong with the 709Slim, I just happen to stumble upon a very good deal on a Glock19 that I couldn't pass up ($360 for the Glock).

After selling my Glock last Summer, I went back and bought a 740Slim Duo-tone again just last week since I had good experiences with the 740 and 709 in the past. I got the 740Slim because 40S&W ammo is much easier to find in my area vs 9mm. One big advice I will give about these pistols is that the trigger gets a little getting used to. To be truly effective, you need lots of practice. I found that you need to "stage" the trigger about 70% pull, then the trigger will break crisply.

As already mentioned, the 709 and 740 Slim have some nice features. External thumb safety, trigger safety, and a locking mechanism for storage. It also has a loaded chamber indicator, and will come with 2 magazines from the factory. Breakdown is extremely easy; it disassembles exactly like a Glock. Right now I can easily pocket carry the 740Slim in loose jeans or cargo shorts without a holster. The thumb safety is very useful for this type of carry. Carrying the 740Slim is such a breeze; I can just grab it and throw it in my front jeans pocket and carry it all day long.

As a side note, both the 709 and 740 have the same exact dimensions so they should fit in the same holsters.

Just for reference I've owned M&P9, M&P40, XD9, XD40, PF9, and Glock19 in the past. For the most part the 740 and 709Slim have been good carry pistols for me. Your experience may vary, so take that with a grain of salt. I would still recommend them if you are on a budget. FYI I've bought my Slim pistols between $300-350 in my area (FL).

----

In short, yes I recommend buying the 709Slim. I think Taurus has improved their pistol line and have figured out most of the quirks of their handguns. My 740Slim was bought last week so it is a 2013 Model.

Last edited by Justice06RR; September 24, 2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old September 25, 2013, 11:54 AM   #14
EveryCaliber

Replying to the OP.

My father has long been a revolver collector, but wanted to get a small 9mm for CC. He ended up getting a good deal on a Taurus 709. We took it to the range and shot it extensively. It functioned flawlessly with a variety FMJs and JHPs. The size is pretty much perfect. The trigger is FUNKY and will take some getting used to (some sort of odd SA/DA/striker-fired operation). I particularly appreciated the adjustable sights, which were a nice touch. It also has an external safety if you're into that kind of thing. Like others have said, there are other guns that are about the same size, and may be perceived as "better" quality. But you'll be hard pressed to find as many features in any of them as you will the 709 for its price. I think it's a choice for CC and a solid value overall. Just keep in mind, all of the Taurus bashing on this forum usually beings with "It seems to me..." or "Somebody told me..." Just try one out. I think you'll like it.
Old September 25, 2013, 03:28 PM   #15
hillking2010

Thank you Wreck-n-Crew, twhidd, Tad_T, Justice06RR, and EveryCaliber for all the information. I really appreciate hearing from you guys who've had direct experience with 709s. I was questioning my desire to buy one because of the functional issues mentioned on other sites. However, I realized that people who've had a bad experience are more motivated to share their complaints with others.

Having heard from you guys I think I'll go ahead and buy one. I think it has a great range of options for the money, as EveryCaliber identified. And other than some of the lemons that come out, all the reviews I've seen say the gun is great.

Thanks guys.
Old September 25, 2013, 05:31 PM   #16
Erikbal

Re: 2013 Taurus 709 Slim

If/when you do purchase one be sure to let us know how you like it and how it works out for you, good luck!
Old September 25, 2013, 06:08 PM   #17
histed

Before buying, may I suggest you take a look at this http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532893.
I've totally dropped the idea of a Taurus. I'll wait a little longer and save a little more.
Old October 26, 2013, 09:31 AM   #18
hillking2010

Hey guys, I'm happy to report that I took my 709 to the range and it functioned perfectly. I shot at 5 and 10 yards and was able to get good groups at each distance. I used Taurus' adjustment tool to raise the sights up and left and it started putting groups in the 10 ring. I've been carrying it for about a week and it's very small and comfortable. The two-stage DA trigger is nice too. It lets you take up a lot of slack and then know that applying more force gives you a clean break. For the record mine is a brand new 4-pin model, so hopefully they've ironed out the problems they were having. Overall I'm extremely satisfied by my purchase and would recommend it to others.

Thanks for everyone's help and input.
Old October 29, 2013, 03:12 PM   #19
EveryCaliber

My old man is an old-school revolver kind of guy. He picked up a 709 Slim one day for $300 OTD and had me break it in for him. I thought it shot great and seemed to be of very good quality. I'm a Glock guy myself, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at the 709 Slim. It's the perfect size for CC.
Old October 29, 2013, 08:34 PM   #20
SauerGrapes

I'm glad you like the 709. I bought one when they first came out. If I had any complaints, I'd tell you, but I don't.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old October 30, 2013, 07:39 AM   #21
Rodger_p

I too picked one up when they first came out. No issues what so ever. I traded it to a neighbor who wanted it for his sister.
It just didn't fit my hand well.
Old January 9, 2016, 09:57 AM   #22
jsflagstad

I have a Slim 709 and it's certainly one of my favorite guns. I have around 1000 rounds (maybe more) through it and have had no issue. I saw them for $199 recently somewhere but can't remember where. Anyway, haters say what you want but mine has been great. I have had my issues with Taurus products in the past, but not this one.

"Is your rifle interesting? -Larry Potterfield
Old January 9, 2016, 11:43 AM   #23
tallball

Congratulations! Mine worked fine, but ended up not being a good fit for my XL oddly shaped hands.

Tags
2013 , 709 , ccw guns , reliability , taurus