The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 14, 2010, 07:38 PM   #1
Lucky 7

590 Ghost Ring Sights?

I'm looking to put ghost ring sights on my 590 (I currently have a bead front and a rail on the receiver). I was wondering what the process of retro fitting new sights is and what sights you all have had the best luck with.

Thanks in advance,
Lucky

PS And yes I have used the SEARCH function
-PMI Sgt. Hopkins, USMC
Old July 15, 2010, 12:12 AM   #2
noyes

Quote:
what sights you all have had the best luck with
Bead
Old July 15, 2010, 12:35 AM   #3
Sphawley

Personally I hate the bead....
Old July 15, 2010, 07:53 AM   #4
natman

I have a set like these on my 8 shot 500:

The rears were easy to install since current 500/590s come D&Ted from the factory. The front has to be soldered on which requires a refinish.
Old July 15, 2010, 06:53 PM   #5
gglass

Mossberg makes after-market ghost ring sights for the 500/590 line of shotguns. The rear sight is very simple to install as long as your receiver came pre-drilled and tapped.... Some older models are not. The front sight is much more of a chore to install and probably shouldn't be done by anyone other than a qualified gunsmith. The front sight needs to be silver soldered or a similar process to make it adhere to the barrel.

I installed the both the front and ghost rings on my Mossberg 500, and have been completely happy with the results.