The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 4, 2013, 10:08 PM   #1
baddarryl

Before shooting a new 1911?

Hi all. I have stripped and am cleaning my new Range Officer (first 1911 for me) and the manual says just a light coat of reg gun oil is sufficent for blued guns. I was looking at a 1911 forum and everyone has their own recipe. What say you? I thought oil most parts and a little white lithium on the rails should do. Thanks.
Old November 4, 2013, 10:21 PM   #2
geetarman

Your last line says it all. A little grease on the rails and oil in other places.

If you shoot a lot at one outing, you might want to put some oil down the rails. The grease can tend to pick up and trap soot and unburned powder. Use some oil and cycle the action. Have fun!

Carpe Cerveza
Old November 5, 2013, 01:20 PM   #3
BigJimP

I use a light grease on the rails on my 1911's in .45 acp ( Wilson Ultima lube ).....but on my 1911's in 9mm, I use oil .....( Wilson Ultima, or Break Free)....

but you're right / there is no real consensus.....even among several of my buddies that shoot 1911's...( grease or no grease, some use Break Free on everything, some use Rig Oil, some Rem oil, some Wilson's ultima lubes, some Gun Butter, one uses Frog Lube....??? ).....
Old November 5, 2013, 01:48 PM   #4
RickB

I generally put grease on the areas of the gun that need lube, but require a detail strip to access. So, grease on the mainspring, sear nose, hammer and sear pins.
I might see those parts only once a year, and I know the grease is going to stay put, and those areas of the gun are fairly well isolated from firing residue, so they don't get too covered with gunk or junk.
If a gun isn't going to be shot soon, but might need to be shot without any advance preparation, I'll also put a light coat of grease, during reassembly, just about everywhere that I normally oil, too. Oil runs off and evaporates, so a little grease will ensure that you aren't shooting the gun dry, but adding oil before a planned shooting session would still be in order.
Old November 5, 2013, 10:38 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

IGG, CLP....

This is a common topic on gun forums.
For general cleaning/service I suggest a simple well made CLP like Gunzilla, Weaponshield, Ballistol, Eezox or Mpro7's LPX.

Ballistol is non toxic, safe for your bare hands, CFC free, and has a light pine tree scent.
It's safe & works on wood, steel, polymer/plastic, rubber, etc. Nickeled firearms too. I've used Ballistol since around 1997.
For greases, Id check Gunbutter or maybe the new IGG: www.italiangungrease.com . There are a few Youtube videos of IGG in action.

LPX & Gunzilla are in use with many armed forces and military units in SW Asia.

Do not use excessive amounts of oil or CLP on your pistol. Dust, crud, lint, etc can collect on the weapon & lead to serious problems.
Brownells, www.Brownells.com markets a printed catalog just for 1911 models.

ClydeFrog
www.gunzilla.us www.midwayusa.com www.natchezss.com www.mpro7.com
Old November 6, 2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I thought oil most parts and a little white lithium on the rails should do
I think you are right on. Clean it, oil it (my preference) and shoot it. A little white grease is certainly not a bad idea either if you feel it needs it.