The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 6, 2013, 08:15 PM   #1
n1catastrophe

Need accessory recommendations...really just about any modification suggestions?

I am sure some of you have read my topic about selling my Glock 27 or PPQ. Decided against it completely. Ended up also purchasing a HK P30LS V3.

Banned myself from buying any new firearms for a long time but that doesn't count towards accessories. I am looking for recommendations on sights, holsters, etc. I am not sure how I plan to carry so any holster recommendations are very, very welcome. Except shoulder carry.

Glock 27 - I only have put rubber talon grips on it along with just getting the Ameriglo night sight. The black serrated back and front orange/green. I haven't put them on because I don't have the damn tool. Just ordered one. I am using a cheap Uncle Mike nylon IWB holster until I find something I really want.

I have nothing extra for PPQ and P30.

Edit - Another question I have is about the magazine capacity. With the PPQ and Glock 27 (maybe the P30 to a smaller extent) filling the magazine and trying to operate the slide to chamber the first round is quite a bit tougher than normal. The mags for the PPQ and 27 also take a little whack or tough squeeze to get them in versus having one less round which becomes tons easier. I can do it, it's just unnerving that I may be doing some harm to the guns forcing it.

I fully loaded all my mags and put them in the nightstand in hopes that maybe the mag springs will loosen a bit. Any advice here?

Last edited by n1catastrophe; April 6, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old April 6, 2013, 10:16 PM   #2
B.O.F.H.

Accessories: are not necessary and some can be counterproductive. I would recommend shooting a few hundred rounds and noting anything that feels off or that you want to change. I typically only add night sights and others think they are a waste of money. Personal preferences.

Holsters: how do YOU want to carry YOUR gun? There are designs to carry about way imaginable from ankle to thunder wear. If in doubt, most people are initially steered to strong side hip carry. Order an in the waistband, get some training, and see if it something you can live with.

As for the magazine issue, I highly recommend some training and or some more live fire practice. You need to get comfortable with it.
Old April 7, 2013, 12:48 AM   #3
1hogfan83

Great choice on the HK, I've never held the long slide P30 but the regular P30 is probably the perfect handgun, the PPQ being second, the M1. Now that I've converted to the dark side, the paddle mag release, I think it's the only way to go. I moved the mag release over to the right side on M&Pc just so it feels kind of the same. I've never held one with a safety but im sure their its the same difference. What variant is it?

Accessories: As for all that stuff, as I said earlier, you virtually have the perfect gun. If it's a night stand gun, night sights and a light and little else. I have the P2000SK, it doesn't have either but my full size M&P does. I use the uncle mikes for my smith and Wesson 642 with a strap. Its inside the waist band and all that crap about it being flimsy, who cares. It matters how quick it comes out, not how quick it goes in. My HK rides in a old faithfull holster. Its a crossbreed knock off but it's cheaper in price and made in Arkansas so I gotta be faithful. My magazines aren't to bad but they only hold 10 rounds, you'll see that any magazine will give you troubles with the last one or two. The great thing about HK, the mags are built like tanks. I would load it up with about 10 rounds or so. In the end, I think you'll be very happy with your HK, I look at them as fine tuned AK-47.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old April 8, 2013, 05:39 PM   #4
n1catastrophe

Quote:
Accessories: are not necessary and some can be counterproductive. I would recommend shooting a few hundred rounds and noting anything that feels off or that you want to change. I typically only add night sights and others think they are a waste of money. Personal preferences.

Holsters: how do YOU want to carry YOUR gun? There are designs to carry about way imaginable from ankle to thunder wear. If in doubt, most people are initially steered to strong side hip carry. Order an in the waistband, get some training, and see if it something you can live with.

As for the magazine issue, I highly recommend some training and or some more live fire practice. You need to get comfortable with it.
I haven't decided exactly how I plan on carrying. I am comfortable with IWB with my Glock 27 but I want a kydex retention holster. Like I said, I am mainly just looking for whatever some of you use, no matter what application its in. If you have 2-3 holsters you like, just list them. I may carry OWB or IWB depending on the gun and the day.

I may be mistaken but I don't understand how I should get comfortable when a loaded magazine has a very unsmooth, tough slide to operate. Hell, when I hit the slide release on a fully loaded PPQ mag it doesn't slide forward all the way. I have to tap the back. With 1 less in the mag it works very smooth and perfect.

The P30 doesn't have this issue but the PPQ and Glock 27 does. Even Hickok mentions that he doesn't load a full 27 mag because of how tight it makes everything. He seems to have more than a small amount of experience.
Old April 8, 2013, 05:48 PM   #5
n1catastrophe

Quote:
Great choice on the HK, I've never held the long slide P30 but the regular P30 is probably the perfect handgun, the PPQ being second, the M1. Now that I've converted to the dark side, the paddle mag release, I think it's the only way to go. I moved the mag release over to the right side on M&Pc just so it feels kind of the same. I've never held one with a safety but im sure their its the same difference. What variant is it?

Accessories: As for all that stuff, as I said earlier, you virtually have the perfect gun. If it's a night stand gun, night sights and a light and little else. I have the P2000SK, it doesn't have either but my full size M&P does. I use the uncle mikes for my smith and Wesson 642 with a strap. Its inside the waist band and all that crap about it being flimsy, who cares. It matters how quick it comes out, not how quick it goes in. My HK rides in a old faithfull holster. Its a crossbreed knock off but it's cheaper in price and made in Arkansas so I gotta be faithful. My magazines aren't to bad but they only hold 10 rounds, you'll see that any magazine will give you troubles with the last one or two. The great thing about HK, the mags are built like tanks. I would load it up with about 10 rounds or so. In the end, I think you'll be very happy with your HK, I look at them as fine tuned AK-47.
The Long slide version is extremely sleek imo. Either one is great, but I was looking for something a little bigger. The only issue I have is the ambi safety. I wish I could remove the right side. It's a v3. We have a P2000 (compact) with the LEM and I think its great, but I plan to practice with the DA/SA for awhile before I decide to convert it.

As far as the magazines, the HK cycles the full mags easily with no noticeable difference in operation. The PPQ and Glock 27 make it much tougher and almost make it feel like I am forcing the mag to insert and going against the gun to chamber a round. It's tough and gritty. Take one round out, and they both work like champs. The magazine insertion, ejection, racking the slide. All easy with a full magazine -1.

On the note about the lever release on the PPQ M1. I am ****** that Walther removed that for the M2.
Old April 8, 2013, 08:49 PM   #6
B.O.F.H.

Break in the magazine springs. Both manufacturers stretched their mag design to accommodate the maximum number of rounds in small spaces. Those new mags are at maximum tension. Your not going to break the guns by slamming the magazines home. But compress and decompress them a few dozen times and I bet they relax to the point of easier insertion.

I carry in a smartcarry holster these days.
Old April 8, 2013, 09:48 PM   #7
n1catastrophe

Thank you for the recommendation on the holster. Like I mentioned, I will probably end up carrying both IWB and OWB. My wife has been looking at me funny because I just walk around the house with my glock chambered AIWB (the A does mean appendix correct?). I feel that since I started doing this, I am tons more comfortable carrying a gun without a safety.

That being said, I figured the springs were real tight and that's why I have tested that by fully loading the magazines and putting them in the nightstand while I am not using them. I keep two glock mags loading with defense rounds and the other I wanted to test by loading capacity to see if it loosened a bit over time.

I am a new gun owner and went a bit overboard in the past month. Around $3500 on 4 guns and the ammo so far. I bought glasses, ears, and a very nice range bag. I am still at a loss for what kind of cleaners to get (I read nice things about MPro). I went to academy and some of the kits have 10+ cleaning brushes for different calibers. I would rather buy my own because I only need 2 right now. Just wondering what things I need if I build my own kit.

Again, I appreciate all the help I have been getting. Thanks so much.
Old April 8, 2013, 10:18 PM   #8
TunnelRat

I shoot my pistols mostly stock. On some of them I will do trigger kits, i.e. the Xd/Xdm or M&P. I still tend to leave the triggers ~ 5lbs. Trigger kits can be helpful but in honesty they're far from essential.

As far as holsters are concerned, I really like Crossbreed holsters. They make standard IWB and AIWB holsters now too. Problem is right now you're looking at prob a 6-8 week wait for delivery. I find them to be the most comfortable of anything I tried. There are other companies making "hybrid", mix of kydex and leather, holsters too. Such as White Hat Holsters, Theis Holsters, etc.

For cleaners I like Breakfree CLP. It's sort of an all in one thing in that it can be used for Cleaning, Lubricating, and Protection. As with any all in one thing it doesn't excel really in any of those areas, but it's generally pretty good. It makes a very good Protectant. MPro and any number of cleaners are good ones. Were you I would get the kits with a plethora of brushes. They're relatively cheap and you never know what you might add in the future. Part of me just likes the nice case. One tip is to get the lubricant form rather than aerosol. It lasts MUCH longer and smells infinitely better. The only aerosol I use is Gun Scrubber for really gunked used guns I buy.

Lastly, the one accessory I really recommend is a nice weaponlight. Identifying your target, especially at night, is critical. SureFire X300 is probably the King of the Hill. But I went with a Streamlight TLR-1s. Why? I feel like it's almost as good for a lot less money. I've been very happy with it.

Oh, and when it comes to accessories, feel free to play around with them. It's the only way to learn what works for you. When you do so, just remember that they won't make you a better shooter. Some folks try to buy stuff to improve their shooting. The best way to improve your shooting is by getting trigger time, from a professional instructor if possible.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 9, 2013, 08:39 AM   #9
n1catastrophe

Tunnelrat - As always, thanks for the help.

I definitely needed a light recommendation. Will more than likely use it on the P30. Are they fairly quick to remove?

I am also going to look at all the holsters mentioned. I was eyeing up a remora for IWB but I think a nice kydex would be much better for holstering and reholstering.

I don't plan on doing any trigger jobs anytime soon but one thing I would definitely be interested in doing is an LEM job on my P30. I haven't shot it though so I really want to get accustomed to the DA/SA first before I make my decision. My dad has a P2000 compact in LEM and its very nice, but just dry firing my P30 in SA is fantastic feeling. One thing I would love to chance though is the weak return after trying to let go of the trigger to reset. It just feels a bit weak. After 10-15 minutes or so I started to become accustomed to how far to let my finger go quickly but I am sure that really needs time actually firing to learn. It just doesn't spring back out and I wish it would.
Old April 9, 2013, 10:32 AM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
I definitely needed a light recommendation. Will more than likely use it on the P30. Are they fairly quick to remove?
Depends on the model. SureFire is pretty fast from what I hear. A TLR light comes with different "keys". These keys fit different types of rails. So you install the key in the light for the rail you want. A P30 would use the 1913 style rail. After that all you do is slide the light onto the rail and tighten a screw (it has a slot the size of a quarter so you don't need any special tool, a coin works fine). I'd say once you have the key installed it takes 30 seconds or so to put on or take off the light. For me that's fast enough as I haven't had the need for rapid removal.

Quote:
I don't plan on doing any trigger jobs anytime soon but one thing I would definitely be interested in doing is an LEM job on my P30. I haven't shot it though so I really want to get accustomed to the DA/SA first before I make my decision. My dad has a P2000 compact in LEM and its very nice, but just dry firing my P30 in SA is fantastic feeling. One thing I would love to chance though is the weak return after trying to let go of the trigger to reset. It just feels a bit weak. After 10-15 minutes or so I started to become accustomed to how far to let my finger go quickly but I am sure that really needs time actually firing to learn. It just doesn't spring back out and I wish it would.
That's a bit of an interesting process. The P-series from HK does not officially support a conversion between trigger systems. It is impossible to go from LEM to DA/SA without modifying the frame. You can go from DA/SA to LEM though you will have a little gap where the decocker is. It can be done, just not officially supported.

For the trigger return you can get heavier trigger return springs (stiffer). Swapping the TRS on an HK is a royal pain in the butt. And I mean royal.

For help modifying anything on an HK I'd recommend HKpro forums. Lots of die hard fans with a lot of good info.
Old April 9, 2013, 03:28 PM   #11
B.O.F.H.

N1, leaving the mag loaded won't break it in. Only usage, ie loading, and unloading will accomplish this. Best of luck, and welcome to the addiction
Old April 10, 2013, 08:07 AM   #12
n1catastrophe

Just loaded all the mags fully. Will do what you said BOFH. Leaving for the range shortly
Old April 10, 2013, 08:10 AM   #13
TunnelRat

What does/doesn't beak in mags has been the topic of many a thread on this forum. For what it's worth I have found leaving mags fully loaded for a few days helps with the break-in. Of course opinions differ.
Old April 10, 2013, 08:59 AM   #14
ClydeFrog

The usual suspects...

You seem to have a detailed plan so far. For carry/defense night sights, I like the new Trijicon HD 3 dot format, www.trijicon.com . XS & the well designed Novak style are good too, www.novaksights.com .
For custom Glock work, add-ons, kitchen table gunsmithing, etc see; www.glockstore.com www.glockworx.com www.customizeyourglock.com www.brownells.com www.midwayusa.com www.deltapress.com www.glockbooks.com . For cleaning, I'd buy a well made CLP like Gunzilla, LPX, Ballistol, Slip2000, or Weaponshield. Ballistol is a non toxic, CFC free product you can also use around the home or work room, . I've used it often on weapons & related gear since 1997 or so.
Brownells is a great resource for any gun owner.
As for holsters, I'd check these popular brands; Safariland, Galco, Don Hume, Alessi, Blackhawk(SERPA), Bianchi-Intl, Blade-tech, High Noon Holsters, COM Holsters, Kramer Leather, Ted Blocker, Mernickle, El Paso Saddlery, Kirkpatrick Leather, Mitch Rosen.
Contact the shop FIRST before you order any holster to insure correct fit & product status. The huge gun craze of 2013 & limited resources may cause delays. The shooting sports & gear industry is very slow.
Old April 10, 2013, 01:54 PM   #15
n1catastrophe

I already have some night sights just sitting for my G27. I ordered a cheaper tool than the outrageous glock sight tool (35-40? really?) but the damn order was cancelled. LGS will do it for $30 but I am not sure if I may have to adjust them afterwards and that just means more money out of my pocket so I will just wait. Here is what I ordered from Ameriglo
http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sigh...l-combinations

Thanks a bunch for the recommendations on the holsters and such. I will definitely be looking into them soon.

As far as the mags go, I will just leave them fully loaded and use em up at the range whenever I go. Had plans today, but I pushed it off till Monday.

I did watch Hickok use Ballistol. I was interested in that MPro because supposedly it cleans much faster so you lose less time constantly running the pads through but I don't trust 2-3 people's opinions on it. Need more than that. So Ballistol for the cleaning component and some good gun oil?
Old April 10, 2013, 03:12 PM   #16
ClydeFrog

CLPs...

Ballistol can meet your basic needs but some gunners go further; Hoppes #9 bore cleaner, Viper Boresnake, Birchwood Casey Synthetic Gun Cleaner, a quality CLP(clean lube protect).
LPX Weaponshield Gunzilla etc.