The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 10, 2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Idaho Spud

Pietta parts

Noticed some peening on my recently acquired London's cyl notches and found that the bolt needed to be fitted, which I accomplished using Pettifogger's tutorial. Easy to do. Quite a difference. The lock-up even sounds better. Wondering if the hand and bolt could be Kasenited (is that a word?) and would it help much? If not would you recommend the parts kit at Cabela's? Or any other ideas? I can see these parts are very soft and extras might be a good idea. What say you? I plan to shoot this thing.
Old December 10, 2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Smokin'Joe

If it ain't broke don't fix it. The bolt is already some of the hardest metal around. The hand does not need to be hardened or it may wear out the cylinder ratchet teeth. What you have already done should be all that is needed based on what you write.
Old December 10, 2012, 03:28 PM   #3
Hardcase

The only thing that I'd be concerned about is that if you make them harder than the cylinder, if the revolver gets out of time, those parts could do more damage to the stops and the lugs (or whatever they're called) on the back of the cylinder.
Old December 10, 2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Idaho Spud

OK, thanks. Makes sense. It only took a minute or so to alter the bolt size. Guess it's harder than it seems. I know on the tutorial he did harden the hand by heating to RH, then quenching in water, but he did not do the bolt.

Know anything about the Cabela's kit pro or con? Don't necessarily want junk.
Old December 10, 2012, 05:40 PM   #5
denster

What Smokin Joe said. Don't harden the hand it is meant to be soft and the bolt is a spring temper allready do not alter it with heat.
Old December 10, 2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Idaho Spud

Thanks all. Gun sure works better now. The bolt was too wide and was not dropping into the slots completely , kinda wedging in and peening them. When I'd cock the gun I could hear a kinda "ping" sound like the hand spring binding or something, too. Anyway, fixing the bolt width got rid of that. Now I hear all the clicks. Mr. Pettifogger is/was a nice man.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:01 PM   #7
denster

As to the Cabelas kit they are factory parts and a real deal. I keep several handy.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:18 PM   #8
Idaho Spud

Thank you, denster, that's what I needed to know. Guess I'll invest.