The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 2, 2012, 09:35 PM   #1
nathaniel

heritage update

Well I finally got the big bore rough rider sighted in. I started at 10 yards shot 3 times all were about a foot low. It took me quite a bit of filing to get it shooting right on. I was a little worried about the heritage brand but now I wouldn't trade it for anything! Especially after the groups I was getting.

The first picture is at 20 yards off hand shooting 158 jsp. The second is of the pistol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-04-30_17-23-52_131.jpg (242.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-22_19-58-05_413.jpg (253.9 KB, 80 views)
Old May 3, 2012, 08:30 AM   #2
Andy Griffith

They make good guns, and accurate.
I've got a couple of their .22's and have looked at the little bird's head .45.

My double action revolvers are the only ones I've not had to regulate. Good job!
Old May 3, 2012, 06:17 PM   #3
g.willikers

You actually done bought yourself a Taurus:
http://www.downrange.tv/blog/taurus-...cturing/14212/
Old May 3, 2012, 06:51 PM   #4
arcticap

Oh boy, I guess that means that my H&R and NEF guns have become Remingtons.
What a difference that is!

Pretty good looking finish and grips on that Heritage revolver, and still made in good ol' U.S.A.!

Last edited by arcticap; May 3, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old May 3, 2012, 07:32 PM   #5
Hardcase

Quote:
You actually done bought yourself a Taurus
A Pietta, actually. In the same vein as some of the Springfield 1911s, the final finishing and assembly is done in Florida.
Old May 4, 2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Newton24b

to call heritage a taurus is a crime like calling johnny walker "whiskie"

note, ive never heard anyone say any fixed sight 357 saa was actually regulated for any known 357 load.
Old May 4, 2012, 08:17 PM   #7
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcase
A Pietta, actually. In the same vein as some of the Springfield 1911s, the final finishing and assembly is done in Florida.
Thanks for the info.
I guess that makes it a Piheritus Rough Rider!
Old May 4, 2012, 08:23 PM   #8
Hawg

Maybe Taurus will do away with that Godawful safety.
Old May 6, 2012, 12:38 PM   #9
Andy Griffith

The safety is only on the zamak (and steel) framed .22's. The steel framed .22's are for states like South Carolina which prohibit alloy (zamak) framed firearms because of the melting point of their frames. (I know... I should make a pithy comment here, which I will refrain from making about the nonsense of these laws.)

I like the safety better than a transfer bar.
Old May 6, 2012, 07:35 PM   #10
nathaniel

Just out of curiosity why does everyone hate the transfer bar? I never really paid attention to them until I noticed everyone saying how much they hate them.
Old May 6, 2012, 09:42 PM   #11
Andy Griffith

Likely the fact originates from how Ruger forces it down your neck if you ever send an old one back that didn't come from the factory without it, and it leaves people a bit bitter that their collectible is altered if it needs repair.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:04 PM   #12
mykeal

Everybody? I think that's a bit of an overstatement.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:58 PM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

If Ruger updated your SA revolver, don't they send back the original parts? If someone reinstalls the original parts, they've got records that it was updated.
Old May 7, 2012, 12:15 AM   #14
Hawg

From what I've heard they do send back the original parts. I'm wondering where I can get original parts to convert my Single Six new model. I might actually use the thing if it didn't work like a Ruger.
Old May 7, 2012, 02:02 AM   #15
Jim March

The transfer bar safety on the Pietta-source guns like yours shouldn't be a major issue. When Uberti grafted a transfer bar onto the SAA-class design (and sold it as the Beretta Stampede) it wasn't quite as strong as the Uberti no-safety designs. I don't know how well Pietta did at the same task. But in general, transfer bars aren't a problem except that they need about 25% more mainspring pressure so...done wrong they can affect trigger feel.

That said, Ruger's transfer bar guns from 1973 forward ("New Model" action) can achieve a pretty damn good trigger feel. The latest variant in the mid-frames such as the New Vaquero starting in 2004 are even better, by a small margin. I've heavily tuned the trigger in my 2005-era NewVaq357 plus shot the snot out of it and it's absolutely sweet.

The Heritage safety that people laugh about is the manually operated monstrosity on the rimfire-size frame. That's...well...a bit of a joke.
Old May 7, 2012, 02:10 AM   #16
Jim March

As to Taurus buying Heritage: my suspicion is, what they really wanted is the contract with Pietta for the centerfire guns. See, a Pietta with a transfer bar is basically the same gun as the now-discontinued Taurus Gaucho - same size, heft, handling, transfer bar safety, etc. But without the Gaucho's horrific quality control issues!

If I was a Taurus manager, I'd get on the horn with Pietta and work out a deal where the Pietta parts go to Taurus' Miami shop and get turned into the "Gaucho II" or something under the Taurus brand name, while the core Heritage shop gets re-directed back to the rimfire-size-frame guns that they designed and do quite well with for a budget piece.

This would be a solid deal for Pietta - they need some way to answer the Uberti/Beretta Stampede and could do so with Taurus' marketing muscle behind the guns. And it would give Taurus a new "Gaucho" that would have nothing to do with Brazil. Taurus would be closer to having a "one stop shop" for SASS/CAS guys with the Rossi levers and the "Pietta Gaucho".

Taurus should also work with Pietta to expand this "Pietta Gaucho" line to include Thunderer/Lightning type grip frames and the Pietta "Alchemista" grip frame which is Pietta's answer to the SuperBlackhawk oversize grip frame designed for the huge hands of European SASS competitor "Alchemista" - otherwise known as Pietta's CEO...
Old May 7, 2012, 05:17 AM   #17
Andy Griffith

It may be an overstatement for some people, but it's the way I personally feel.

The transfer bar is fine in Pietta's, as they actually build it both ways (with and without it), for different importers.
Old May 7, 2012, 06:30 PM   #18
Newton24b

alright, does anyone have any proof, legal documents, press releases that can prove "taurus owns heritage" that is being declared in here?
Old May 7, 2012, 06:57 PM   #19
Hawg

http://www.taurususa.com/news-detail.cfm?newsID=41
Old May 11, 2012, 06:50 PM   #20
Gaucho Gringo

Is Taurus' next acquisition going to be Hi Point? Even though I own a gun made by Taurus, Heritage & Hi Point one the reasons I bought Heritage & Hi Point is because they were made in America and owned by Americans. In my opinion if a product is made in the USA by a foreign owner it does not make it an American product, just a foreign product that happens to manufactured in America.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8