The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 28, 2010, 08:42 AM   #1
ghostman1960

I think I'm finished. AR15 Build

Any suggestions for improvement are appreciated.

Last edited by ghostman1960; October 28, 2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old October 28, 2010, 08:54 AM   #2
BombthePeasants

I've noticed it lacks cruise control, a waffle iron, and an LCD TV. This needs to be corrected ASAP.

WE ARE LAUGH
Old October 28, 2010, 08:56 AM   #3
precision_shooter

You already have the removable rear sight on a flat top upper, so I would install a flip up front sight. This makes mounting optics easier since you don't have to worry about mounting high enough to clear the front sight...Then you can remove the optics and flip up the front sight and be back in business with irons...

Other than that, looks like a nice build.

What are the difference components you used?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 28, 2010, 09:20 AM   #4
Bartholomew Roberts

You think you're finished? That's cute. A new AR15 owner?

I've been building mine since 1994 - and I've been "finished" half a dozen times since then. Even now when I am decidedly in the "training is better/more important than gear" camp, I still keep seeing neat ideas and gear that make me want to change it again.

I'm telling you, if you could figure out a way to monopolize the AR15 accessory market, you could make money giving the rifles away for free

Very well thought out build though. You can definitely tell that you did some research putting it together.

Quote:
This makes mounting optics easier since you don't have to worry about mounting high enough to clear the front sight...
The front sight is just a vague shadow in most scopes. It is usually inside the focal length of the scope even at 3-4x magnification. The bonus of the pinned, fixed front sight is it is the most rugged option available and you can use it immediately with a dead red dot like a giant ghost ring if the red dot fails.
Old October 28, 2010, 09:22 AM   #5
ghostman1960

I used a BCM 14.5" upper with a pinned FH. The CH is a BCM mod 4 Gunfighter. The rails are Troy with Magpul ladder covers and XTM panels. The BCG and LPK are Spikes. The lower was stripped S&W MP15. The grip is a Magpul MIAD with integral trigger guard and the stock is a magpul MOE. The Mbus is also magpul. I have no clue who made the VFG but will replace it with a LaRue FUG when funds allow. The RDS is a PA gen 6 mounted with a American Defense T1 mount. I think that's all for now.
Old October 28, 2010, 09:39 AM   #6
Technosavant

Quote:
You already have the removable rear sight on a flat top upper, so I would install a flip up front sight. This makes mounting optics easier since you don't have to worry about mounting high enough to clear the front sight...Then you can remove the optics and flip up the front sight and be back in business with irons...
That's not an issue with a 1x optic. It looks like it's on a lower 1/3 cowitness height mount, so you really won't notice the front sight at all when shooting. It's there, but your brain "edits" it out.

And I think this probably sums it up best:
Quote:
You think you're finished? That's cute. A new AR15 owner?
Welcome to BRD, Ghostman. Now you start thinking about your next one...
Old October 28, 2010, 09:58 AM   #7
EdInk

Tapco Ergo Rear Grip. I hate the little nub on AR grips.

What kind of optic is that one? Looks like the one that came with my Sig556.
You could move up to an ACOG. Preferably one WITH a Bible verse on it.

Since it's an AR, you are nowhere near finished. You need to get another upper and start all over. Don't swap over the accessories either. That's cheating.

More magazines are must. Don't care how many you have now. Need more.

Lastly, I personally feel (and others will back me up on this one) that no AR is fully dressed without a pair of Fuzzy Dice hanging from the barrel. The color of the dice is up to you.
Old October 28, 2010, 11:09 AM   #8
Joat

Magpul B.A.D. lever
Magwell grip either by Mako or others (this is the one I found a picture of)
BAD-ASS ambidextrous safety

These are just the three immediate mods that popped into my head when you asked. I won't even get started on the PVS-14 and related items.

There are no other modifications needed. Want on the other hand can get you in a lot of debt. Trouble I mean TROUBLE.

Joat
Old October 28, 2010, 11:31 AM   #9
superchi

Ditch the Fakepoint for a real Aimpoint.
Old October 28, 2010, 11:38 AM   #10
swmike

Whatever you do, STOP before your build ends up looking like this:

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old October 28, 2010, 11:45 AM   #11
precision_shooter

That pic is a bad photoshop job. Real Bad!!!!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 28, 2010, 12:31 PM   #12
davlandrum

But hilarious!!!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 28, 2010, 01:45 PM   #13
demigod

Quote:
Magpul B.A.D. lever
Magwell grip either by Mako or others (this is the one I found a picture of)
BAD-ASS ambidextrous safety
I wouldn't put any of that junk on my gun. I'd get a real rear sight. A cut down mil spec carry handle would be good if you're keeping the dot there.

Definitely NEVER replace a forged steel front sight with some flip up junk. As the instructor in my rifle class pointed out last weekend... he's seen EVERY brand of buis break out at the Sheriff's office range.
Old October 28, 2010, 07:27 PM   #14
shooter_john

I wouldn't call the B.A.D. lever junk... I just put one on my rifle, and it spot on. I lock-tite'd the screw and I have no worries about it at all. And to be honest, even if it does fail I still have a perfectly functional rifle. (and it only adds an ounce or two in weight)
Old October 28, 2010, 08:35 PM   #15
Klingon00

Needs more Magpul.

But seriously, I like it. looks somewhat like the direction I am going with mine, except I finally ditched the vertical forward grip to save weight and I found I didn't really need it and it's less stuff to snag when trying to move about.
Old October 28, 2010, 08:55 PM   #16
bjl333

If you seriously think you are finished then go and start another one !!! Build a SPR for the second one and after that build a Varmint rig and after that build a Retro A1 and after that a 308 and after that ........
Old October 29, 2010, 03:07 AM   #17
ghostman1960

Thanks for all the kind words and good advice!
Old October 29, 2010, 11:07 AM   #18
globalsmack

Personally I would go with an Ambi safety lever. The BAD levers are great if they work with your lower. I would guess that it will with the Smith lower.
Old October 29, 2010, 11:14 AM   #19
golfnutrlv

One of these...

http://www.molonlabeshop.com/store/i...dex&cPath=15_5

Nice build btw, I like it. Any left over cash, spend on mags, ammo, and range time!!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old October 29, 2010, 11:18 AM   #20
thesheepdog

Quote:
That pic is a bad photoshop job. Real Bad!!!!
++1

Look at how the dude is looking down the sights; doesn't match with the scope.
Old October 29, 2010, 01:52 PM   #21
cannonfire

Quote:
Look at how the dude is looking down the sights; doesn't match with the scope.
He is obviously looking down the scope with his left eye... duh! who taught you how to shoot! hahha
Old October 29, 2010, 02:13 PM   #22
KChen986

The small RDS is good, but save up for a real aimpoint T-1 or H-1 when you saved up enough funds. They're well worth it.

Good build, very well thought out. Very nice.

Last edited by KChen986; October 29, 2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old October 29, 2010, 03:08 PM   #23
thesheepdog

Quote:
He is obviously looking down the scope with his left eye... duh! who taught you how to shoot! hahha
I said sights, not scope. It's obvious he's looking down the sights correctly, but the photoshop idiot wasn't educated enough on guns to make the picture even halfway funny; because the right handed shooter in the picture is looking through the scope with his LEFT eye as you stated.
Old October 29, 2010, 04:53 PM   #24
mavracer

I don't really like VFG or quad rails for that matter just too bulky.I also dislike colapsable stocks (actually they dont like my long hair and tend to pull it out).
I'd have spent that money on better optics.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."