The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2010, 12:06 PM   #1
Winterhawk56

7MM TCU

Ok Folks just pick up a 7MM TCU (14" barrel with TC scope) and have some questions for those that have been re-loading the 7MM TCU for a while.

Let me start off by saying I have ALLOT of IMR 4198 Did I say ALLOT! That being stated, most all the RL manuals use BL-C2 and other powders.

I have Hornady and Sierra rounds from 100 to 160 and everything in between. Now to the question:

1. I want to use it for varmint hunting. Anyone have a great loads, Bullet, primer and powder?

2. Tagget rounds/favorites?

I will work up my own loads also but would like a base/beginning ready to shoot rounds! I can alway use your experiences and loads and or things to look for with this round?

Thanks for the help!

Ralph

Last edited by Winterhawk56; February 28, 2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old February 28, 2010, 03:57 PM   #2
steveno

I found that when I first started loading the 7 TCU was that fire forming cases with CCI primers I had a lot misfires because the primers were too hard. I switched to Remington Primers for fire forming and there wasn't any misfires because the Remington primer is softer. after fire forming CCI primers work just fine. when fire forming the only thing hold the case in place is the extractor and didn't provide the complete support for the forming. you do not need to come with a special fire forming load just for that purpose. it is a very accurate round and very easy to shoot. I had the best luck with the 130 grain Speer but the 120 grain and 140 grain Nosler bt shot just about as well. the only powder I used was H-4895
Old February 28, 2010, 04:09 PM   #3
TXGunNut

A quick check of all my manuals was no help. Found same thing you did, powder a bit too fast for your new baby, even for the lightest bullets. Powder's expensive and hard to come by these days but I'm pretty sure a new can of something suitable will let you realize the potential of this interesting round. RL-7 was the best powder for my .35Rem Contender 15 years ago but today it looks like a slower powder would serve both of us better.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old February 28, 2010, 05:20 PM   #4
Scorch

IMR 4895 or W748/BLC2 are the go-to powders for 7mm TCU.

For target- 28.0 gr IMR 4895 under 154 gr Hornady SP
For varmints- 30.0 gr IMR 4895 under Hornady 120 gr SP
Old February 28, 2010, 11:41 PM   #5
Winterhawk56

Thanks Folks, I will go ahead and purchase some 4895. I do have three pounds of BL-C2 so at the minimum I can sight it in. In August I will try my hand at a few Varmint with the 7MM TCU.