The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2010, 01:14 PM   #1
horatioo

how did you learn how to reload?

How would a person without friends who reload learn to reload? Is it easy enough to learn from books or internet or should a person have someone with knowledge help?

Thanks
Old February 22, 2010, 01:21 PM   #2
TheBigO

i just started and found here along with a few books will get you where you need to be. I think that moving slow doing your DD and is all you need. I think that reading the problems others have you can cut out a lot of your own mistakes and shortfalls.
Old February 22, 2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Hammonje

I read a book by the title of "The ABC's of Reloading." Then I read a bunch of other material and bought a few reloading manuals. If you are at all mechanically inclined than it is a breeze. You can always ask questions on the net if you are stuck somewhere.

Always remember the cardinal rule of reloading...SAFETY!!!!!!!!! Never take chances....there is no need.

Good luck.
Old February 22, 2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Hammonje

Also, a reloading mentor is a plus. Someone who can show you the ropes. I didn't have this, but I have shown others how it's done. Good luck.
Old February 22, 2010, 01:29 PM   #5
zxcvbob

I bought a copy of Lyman's 48th and studied it -- especially the first few chapters before it gets to the recipes. Then I bought some used single-stage reloading equipment and dived in.
Old February 22, 2010, 01:32 PM   #6
Baphomet

My dad pressed (ha! (pun intended!!)) me into reloading duty at a young age starting me off with decapping cases.

"If you wanna shoot 'em, you gotta load 'em," he'd say.

By age 12 or so I was pretty competent at every aspect except throwing the actual charges; he preferred to do that himself until I got older.
Old February 22, 2010, 01:35 PM   #7
P5 Guy

Handloading on Your Own

ABCs of Reloading and Lyman Reloading Handbook have very detailed instructions on the hows and whys for picking and using the tools for loading ammo.
I started with 44SPL at Cowboy Action Shooting loads and when I felt I had the basics down I went on to higher energy rounds.
Handloading really is pretty easy if you are careful and keep your eye on doing it safely. It is always better to have someone to watch over your shoulder, but I didn't and still have all my fingers and eyeballs. Just go slow and don't let anybody interrupt or distract you while working. Start with small batches and work up from there.
Old February 22, 2010, 01:37 PM   #8
Sixer

I dove in head first! I did a bit of research on the basics by picking up "The ABC's of Reloading" at my local library. Then the shopping began...

I was fortunate enough to find a guy (via Craigslist) who was selling his complete setup and moving out of town. His asking price was $400 for everything... I paid $200 Turret press, multiple die sets, primers, powder, bullets, powder measure, scale, dippers, reloading guide, everything except the kitchen sink!

From there I spent quite a bit of time figuring out what the heck I had just bought, what I still needed, and what I had but didn't need. I sold the die sets, etc. for calibers I did not have and used the money to buy die sets I needed.

I aske ALOT of questions here on TFL and did ALOT of reading before I ever reloaded a single round. At a point I started to feel like I would NEVER have everything I needed... but after about a month I was up and running.

I consider the decision to start reloading one of the best choices I've made in a while. I don't pay much attention to the savings, but the ability to NOT have to search for ammo when inventory was slim was PRICELESS.

It's been about a year since I started. This forum has been a GREAT help. I'm still learning something new all the time. As long as I can keep from blowing up a gun, I'd say it was an investment well worth the money and effort

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old February 22, 2010, 01:38 PM   #9
ZeSpectre

Read a LOT of stuff, asked many smart and more than a few stupid questions here and on other forums, and also got advice from that old guy at the gun store who's been reloading longer than I've been alive.

Start out simple with one caliber until you "get it".

Don't be afraid to ask questions no matter how basic or "stupid" they may seem. You need to be methodical and careful because reloading can be very intolerant of error.
Old February 22, 2010, 01:41 PM   #10
azar92

I would have loved a mentor, but I never had one. I purchased Lee Modern Reloading, 2nd Edition and had the Speer #13 come with my kit. I read the reloading instructions in both and took my time. Anytime I had a question, I asked it at sites like this one. Anytime I purchased a new reloading manual (Hornady #7, Lyman #49...) I re-read their version of the reloading instructions. I still like to do this with a new manual, just as a good refresher and for a different perspective.
Old February 22, 2010, 01:42 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I learned most all of the specifics from TFL members. I bought and read "The ABC's of Reloading" but I find large portions of it to be overly basic "common sense" stuff. I then purchased the Lyman 49th edition and read the front sections of that. After that, I got clarification on a number of issues and specific help from several members and moderators of TFL via PM. I can't say enough about the help I received from those guys. It has been invaluable.
Old February 22, 2010, 01:44 PM   #12
NWPilgrim

Honestly, I can hardly remember how I started!

For sure I started with a Speer manual, started with just handgun (.44 mag specifically), and started as simply as possible and only added equipment as I found the need.

I read the manual thoroughly and just learned by doing and re-reading manual and instructions whenever I had a problem.

As far as i can recall, this is what I started with to load for my Redhawk (cheapest ammo for it was $24/50 when 9mm was like $6/50):

- Speer manual
- Lee Challenger press
- RCBS 1010 scale
- RCBS Uniflow powder measure
- Hornady carbide die set for .44 + shellholder
- RCBS reloading blocks
- lead bullets, WLP primers, W231 and W296 powder
- empty cases from a couple of boxes of factory ammo
- Dillon dial calipers
- RCBS hand priming tool

Soon after beginning I added a Midway tumbler and RCBS inertia bullet puller and Hornady dies for .38/.357, and a micrometer stem for the Uniflow measure.

Just sticking to find a decent load for handgun and the process can be kept simple. Later things can get more complicated when components are hard to find and you have to substitute, or you start reloading for rifle cartridges, or for various purposes (light target, defense, hunting, long range).
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 22, 2010, 01:46 PM   #13
GP100man

In `83 I had a Redhawk to feed & reloadin was it !!

I got a copy of the Lyman reloadin handbook 46th edition & read it several times over!! finally borrowed a lee loader the Hammer powered 1 , lasted `bout 2 weeks on that & bought a lee anniversery kit & a Lyman Acculine scale

The rest is Money Under the Bridge!!!!
Old February 22, 2010, 02:11 PM   #14
Scorch

How would you learn to reload?
1- First, read the information on relaoding metallic cartridges in the front of some reloading manuals, especially the Lyman Reloading Handbook and the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading.

2- Then, start out by getting a press kit and dies for a cartridge of your choice (pistol cartridges work well to learn on, but rifle cartridges are OK too).

3- Then study the mid-range loads published in the reloading manuals, purchase bullets, primers, and powder, and set aside some time to set up the press and get familiar with it and how it works.

4- Then, being careful to avoid clutter and chaos on the loading bench, try reloading a few cartridges to the specs stated in the loading manuals.

5- Then take the cartridges out and fire them in your gun. Do this several times until you find a load that performs well in your gun.

6- By now, you will be starting to understand a few basics of reloading. Load a supply of one or two boxes of ammo for your gun (don't load hundreds of rounds, taking them apart is a pain).

Read more, learn more by talking to knowledgeable relaoders, and keep it small initially. After a few years, you will know a bit more, and you can build on it.

Good luck!!
Old February 22, 2010, 02:20 PM   #15
howlnmad

I had been thinking of doing it for some time when I ran into a man buying supplies. I asked if he had time to talk. I bought him a cold drink and we talked for over an hour. I left with three books and the next week I bought a Lee kit and items I needed to reload 38's.
Old February 22, 2010, 02:29 PM   #16
David Wile

Hey Horatioo,

Your profile does not include any personal information about yourself. If you lived near myself in Mechanicsburg, PA, I would be happy to help you get started. Now I know the chances of your being near my home are likely very small, but you do live somewhere, and if you post more information about yourself, perhaps you will find one or more folks who live near you and are willing to give you a hand getting started.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old February 22, 2010, 02:37 PM   #17
HiBC

The old man split when I was a kid,older brother was shooter but he went off to the war.He left behind a pickup load of books and magazines.I pretty much ate them.
About 16 yrs old,I bought a Rem 700 7mm mag and an M1 carbine.I still have the red Pacific press.
Claude Simmons was a local fine gunsmith out of LaPorte ,Co,who worked in a shop downtown.He had the patience for a kid who kept his hands folded behind his back (me) while in his shop.He turned me on to Norma 93 gr 30 luger bullets for my carbine.
Then,in another shop a little farther south was another gentleman gunsmith,Louis Baechler.He treated me very well,and was a bulk Hogdon supplier.Bring your own bleach bottle,4831 $1.60 a lb.

Now,I will confess,I did some crazy stuff,but never had a wreck

For those starting out,read and believe what they say in the manuals.

And somewhere,find someone with some wisdom to go along with expertise.
This forum is a great place to ask questions.
Old February 22, 2010, 02:55 PM   #18
Lavid2002

Made a video for people who want to learn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UPXqDrqjE4
follow vids 1-2-3
Old February 22, 2010, 03:29 PM   #19
rbf420

trial and error, online forums and books is how i did it, not bad for a 19yr old imo
Old February 22, 2010, 03:33 PM   #20
darkgael

learn

I read a lot, everything that I could find. (before there was an Internet)
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; February 22, 2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old February 22, 2010, 03:54 PM   #21
NCMountain

I read manuals from front to back over and over and watched a multitude of YouTube videos people uploaded then I did practice reloading with components.
Old February 22, 2010, 04:03 PM   #22
res45

Thirty years ago when I started reloading,there were no computers,videos or online forums,I didn't even have anyone that handloaded around me. I was lucky enough to have a fully loaded gun shop in a nearby town that had everything a new handloader could want.

Thankfully the guy there were really great people to work with,they sold me a Lyman kit with a Crusher press,Universal trimmer,#55 powder dumper and Lyman D7 scales along with the Lyman #45 Manual and the dies I needed. I still use all that equipment today,I read the manual several times followed the directions and stuck to the listed data and basically taught myself how to handload good accurate ammo.

I've acquired more die,various tools and now my own casting equipment over the years it's a never ending cycle but it's my hobby and pastime and I enjoy loading and casting as much as I do the shooting part.
Old February 22, 2010, 04:21 PM   #23
BigJimP

My grandpa started me reloading metallic and shotshells when I was probably 7 or 8 years old .....but these days there are so many good books out there, good equipment ....its pretty easy to get started with good info.

Having a local mentor is a great thing / and my hunch is, if you start talking to guys at your local range - you'll quickly find some guys that are into reloading. The trick is to find someone that really shares your mentality on how you want to realod / setup your operation.

There are some important primary issues is reloading:
a. Attention to Details / close enough is dangerous ! / don't assume anything
b. Keep press and reloading area clean and organized
c. Really understand each step / how your press works
d. Follow published recipes and "read" press manuals, reloading books, etc.

Press mfg's like Dillon have online manuals / you can download them even before you buy a press ...and go thru their manual in detail.
Old February 22, 2010, 04:23 PM   #24
DiscoRacing

i just read what i could on the net... didnt buy a single reloading manual... used manufacter info for charges... made some mistakes... but learned pretty well i think. seems to work fine now
Old February 22, 2010, 04:37 PM   #25
bob kk

Bought a used Win 243 and he gave me a set of Lyman
310 dies. Bought set of scales, funnel and handles for
the 310's. Had a neighbor who reloaded. He helped me
get started. He also got me into bullet casting. Another
neighbor wanted to reload so I helped him. It's good to
have help getting started.