The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2009, 12:11 AM   #1
salvadore

no double charge

I am looking for load data for alliant 2400 in .38, and .44 spec. @ moderate pressures, say less than 20,000 cup. thank you.
Old June 16, 2009, 12:28 AM   #2
Doodlebugger45

Using 2400 in 38 and 44 special is most unusual. It is not designed to generate moderate pressures. It is more suited for 357 mag and 44 mag. I saw a load for 2400 for the 44 special but it was trying to duplicate some of the Keith development loads which eventually led to the 44 mag and is definitely not in the "moderate" category. You can only back off those 357 mag loads to a certain point with the smaller case until you get to a spot to where the pressures actually increase.

I won't venture a guess since I haven't tried using that powder for what you want. Maybe some other people here have tried it, but if I were you, I'd try to find some Unique or Tite Group powder, or even better some Trail Boss if you want some moderate pressures.
Old June 16, 2009, 07:20 AM   #3
Sevens

Your best bet is to contact Alliant directly via phone or e-mail and see what they come up with. I haven't seen any published loads for this combo. Doodlebugger is correct... this is entirely the wrong powder for these calibers.

I would suggest you assess why it is that you want to do this-- there isn't much to be gained from it. Compared to all the other components we use to make ammo, powder is really cheap. A pound of Bullseye would cost you around twenty bucks, and in .38 Special, you can probably make well more than 1,500 loaded rounds with that single pound of Bullseye. And if not Bullseye, than any of a half-dozen or more other powders.

If you can get 2400 to work at these low pressures, you'll certainly need more of it per round than you would a faster burning powder that is designed for these calibers. So it won't be cheaper. It likely won't be more accurate.
Old June 16, 2009, 07:22 AM   #4
Sevens

Hey, I think I figured it out-- given the thread title. You would like to use a powder that uses up more space in the case to guard against a double charge?

IMR Trail Boss was designed to do exactly this. You might look for this stuff to avoid a double charge.
Old June 16, 2009, 03:49 PM   #5
salvadore

Well yes, that and I am looking for a powder that might give me a bit more fps without too much over saami pressure. I have a 396 smith .44 spec. that I was told weighs 18 oz. I shoot a 180 grain cast over the max listed titegroup load. What I was hoping to do was get maybe another 100 fps and keep the pressure down by using 2400. I have seen data for different cartridges using less that magnum loads with 2400.....it was just a thought.
Old June 16, 2009, 05:53 PM   #6
Sevens

[email protected] is the e-mail address of Ben Amonette, Consumer Service Manager of Alliant Powder Company. He's the guy that quickly answered my couple of questions just a week or two ago when I sent an e-mail off the form on their website.

I believe that if it's possible or prudent, this gentleman will know!
Old June 16, 2009, 07:18 PM   #7
B.L.E.

Four grains of Trail Boss chronographs at about 900 fps out of my Marlin rifle and about 775 fps out of my Ruger Vaquero when shooting .357 magnum cases and 158 grain cast bullets. And yes, a double charge runs over the case, I checked.

Light loads using 2400 leaves a lot of unburned powder in the case and erratic velocities, it was intended for magnum loads, well actually, it was originally developed for the .22 Hornet and it got its name from the velocity that could be achieved with this powder.