The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 2, 2009, 11:24 PM   #26
Blue Duck

I looked at one of these, and it was terrible. A piece of cheap junk, just like most other Mossburgs.

There are way too many good Winchesters and Marlins still around, to consider lowering myself to this level.
Old October 2, 2009, 11:06 PM   #27
musicmatty

The pictures and reports all seemed to be very favorable..but chat on the boards seem to echo something else.

I have a Win Ranger model 94 chambered in 30-30 that I bought new in 1990 I think..and this lever is fast and hard hitting within a 170yrds.

I would like to get one more, but at this time, Winchester in not making them since they have been sold to someone else..but they are offering the model 70...Im sure the famed model '94' wearing the name Winchester on the barrel will make a triumphant return soon to their line up...lets hope
Old October 3, 2009, 09:41 AM   #28
CraigC

Quote:
That being said, there is no way I'm gonna pay more for a Mossbeerg knock-off than I would for a Marlin 336.
I have to agree. I looked at one this week and was wholeheartedly unimpressed. I just couldn't pay more for one than a decent used Marlin or Winchester would cost me.
Old October 3, 2009, 09:51 AM   #29
jsr76

I don't want to start a fight. However, I have read and heard of MANY accounts stating that the Marlin lever action was and is THE lever action. For quality and accuracy. I agree. And since the previous posts tell the folly of Winchester arms, I can see why Marlin is THE leader. No offense to any diehard Winchester fans, but the 94 did die off. However, they did look good. I do and always will prefer the Marlin for toughness and accuracy. With respect to all.
Old October 3, 2009, 10:15 AM   #30
CraigC

I have no issue with personal preference but let's be straight. Winchester died off, which had nothing to do with the model 94. For right at the end, they had revamped the model 94 with a new tang safety, several new configurations and new cartridge offerings. The 94 was going through a revival or rebirth of sorts and was ALWAYS a strong seller. It was all the short, fat, super duper, extra short & fat magnum foolishness and poor management that sank Winchester. The model 94 just went down with the ship.
Old October 3, 2009, 11:19 AM   #31
OJ

This was extensively discussed on a levergun forum with 99% bad experiences and, even the one enthusiast eventually had to admit the rest of us were correct.

I bought one (having read good reviews in Shooting times and the NRA Rifleman0 and the extractor failed before the first magazine (6 rounds) was fired. Sent it back to repair facility (not where the factory is) at my expense and, after a month, got it back. Started loading it when the screw holding the forend broke before I even shot it. It was odd sized and no local gunsmith could replace it - Mossberg at first required me to send it back to the repair facility but, I convinced them I had a screwdriver and could replace it if I could get the screw.

Got the screw and replaced it and found I couldn't get through the six rounds in the magazine without a malfunction.

Now, I'm stuck with a rifle I wouldn't sell or even give away because i wouldn't want the recipient to think what he would of me every time he looked at the rifle.

Only too late, I looked in past Gun Digests and found Mossberg had produced some half dozen lever model 30-30 rifles - I assume the reason they aren't still around says something of their quality - or lack of.

:barf:
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by OJ; October 3, 2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old October 3, 2009, 11:21 AM   #32
badlander

Why buy A knockoff when you can buy A Marlin 336 for $300. and change?
Dicks Has the 336 SS for $519. A bit more money but the fit and finnish on mine is beautiful.
Old October 3, 2009, 03:29 PM   #33
musicmatty

I have no issue with personal preference but let's be straight. Winchester died off, which had nothing to do with the model 94. For right at the end, they had revamped the model 94 with a new tang safety, several new configurations and new cartridge offerings. The 94 was going through a revival or rebirth of sorts and was ALWAYS a strong seller. It was all the short, fat, super duper, extra short & fat magnum foolishness and poor management that sank Winchester. The model 94 just went down with the ship

I agree 100% with the above. I don't believe there should be any question about the quality of the Model 94 from the last 20yrs...arguably the best ever made. With it's side ejection from the bolt allowing for a low mount scope, this gun was up to date for what it was..light, fast and extreamly well balanced. Winchester will alway's be King of the Lever action rifle regardless of the die hard Marlin owners who don't prefer a legend rifle that went out at the top of it's game.
Old October 3, 2009, 05:14 PM   #34
dgludwig

Quote:
Winchester will alway's be King of the Lever action rifle regardless of the die hard Marlin owners who don't prefer a legend rifle that went out at the top of it's game.
Amen! Right on! Winchesters are the lever-actions everyone else wishes they had made first. From the Model 94 (and earlier) to the Model 88-Winchester knew how to make a lever-action look right. My personal favorite is the Model 71-talk about a classic. Put the 71 next to a 336 chambered in .444, 45-70 or whatever and you'll see the difference.

Of course, I like Savage 99s too...
Old October 4, 2009, 05:12 PM   #35
Scout

I believe we'll see the Model 94 resurrected again soon. A lot of folks say that Winchester moved out of Connecticut to thwart the Union which was throttling the company. Then, in accordance with contracts, the company had to lay off production for a period of time. Now they're set up in a right to work state.
Old October 4, 2009, 06:07 PM   #36
musicmatty

Very cool...thanks for the update and I hope they start soon with O'l model 94.
Old October 5, 2009, 05:31 PM   #37
jsr76

I wouldn't mind a new high quality model 94. However, pick one up, they are not the Marlin 336. Shoot groups and you will see. Wimpy feeling and less accurate. Don't kid yourselves, Winchester hasn't really been Winchester for a lifetime.
Old October 9, 2009, 04:19 AM   #38
musicmatty

JSR76...couldn't disagree more with you. My Model 94 Ranger was extreamly accurate at 100yds in the bull..very very tight groups. You may be partial to a Marlin, but calling the Winchester model 94 a wimpy gun..and especially the later models that were even better designed for more accuracy is not being well informed on your part.
Old October 9, 2009, 10:44 AM   #39
moosemike

I picked a new Mossberg lever action off the shelf at Gander Mountain the other day. My first thought was where did they hide the brick! Those things are heavy. It made me wish Winny 94's were still being made.
Old October 9, 2009, 11:21 AM   #40
OJ

Having posted my bad experience with Mossberg, and seeing Winchesters discussed, here is my Winchester 94 in 30-30 I bought in 1968 - it's not "wimpy"

However, it did cost me $90.00 so, in a way I guess some Winchester 94s could be regarded as "cheap" -

That same day and same dealer charged my $100.00 for a BL22 lever rimfire rifle. Also, IMNSHO - the Winchester 95 (30-06 here ) is "king of the hill"

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old October 9, 2009, 11:32 AM   #41
Huntergirl

I don't think that Mossberg will steal any customers from Marlin. There may be a niche for the cheaply made Mossberg levergun now. When that dries up, Mossberg will quit making them. And that will be the problem for Mossberg lever owners, since their guns will probably not hold up over the years like Marlins and Winchesters. They will need parts. If you look at the cheaper clones of other fine rifles and shotguns, that some companies went out of their league to make, just for the dollar, they had a rather short run, with few parts available, after the guns were discontinued. I'm not saying that all clones ended this way, but enough historical data exists for many, to support scepticism.
Old October 9, 2009, 10:15 PM   #42
musicmatty

Still waiting for 'Winchester' (which is owned by someother superb maker' to unvail the new model 94..I have a feeling it is just around the corner.
Old October 11, 2009, 10:58 PM   #43
bdturner

For the price of a Mossberg I would rather have a Winchester.
Old October 12, 2009, 05:21 AM   #44
jsr76

Perhaps I say things that sound different than what I mean. I do respect the 94. It is slender and good looking. What I meant to say, is that the 336's seem to me, tobe a bit heavier duty and are reported to be more accurate on the average. Doesn't really matter at this point. They are both classics and I don't believe the 494 ever will be. I have always had a thing for the 94 trapper. What a little whip that would be. Doubt I'll ever get one now. Anyone know how much you would lose with that short little barrel, from the 30-30 power level?
Old October 12, 2009, 09:47 AM   #45
moosemike

You don't lose very much from a 30-30 in a 16" barrel. I don't remember the numbers but I've seen them posted on other sites and it just wasn't that much of a loss.
Old October 12, 2009, 10:55 AM   #46
CraigC

Velocity is overrated.
Old November 22, 2009, 10:45 PM   #47
goredsox

Hearing a bunch of "saw one...didn't like it" and "I hear they suck cuz..." Well folks, let me offer something sorely missing from this thread. FIRST HAND and INDEPTH/EXTENDED observation. Here's the data:

Date Purchased: Sep '08
Rounds fired: 35 (all same as below)
Ammo: Hornaday LEVERevolution 160gr.
Days in Field '08 Seasons: 17
Days in Field '09 Seasons: 8 (and counting)

Season 1 Report:

Bought a few weeks before moose season last year. Wanted to try it without sling & scope, as my heroes of the yesteryear did. As such, I spent all 17 days afield in '08 without scope or sling. I didn't even check boresighting that year... just took it to my local 100yd range and made sure I could consistently hit 6" diameter targets at 100yds. No problems on range, and no misses or 2nd shots needed during the season. I always sight/train with the same ammo I hunt.

Season 2 Report (mid-season):

This year, I added a sling and a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 scope. It comes tapped for weaver (h3) mounts and rings...so that was much easier than most lever's around. With the scope I bore sighted and then took it to the range for tuning. The bore sighting (laserlyte) was set to 3in low at 20yds. With live ammo at 100 yds, I was still about an inch low. but no windage changes needed. After tuning elevation I saw 1.1 to 1.9 inch groups the rest of the session.

Thusfar, I've had no problems with feeding/cycling. 25d afield in the rocky/brushy slopes of vermont and it's held up very well. The blueing is actually better than most rifles I've owned. I oiled the wood after last season and it looks great. I'm not so happy with my scope mounts/scope (too bulky and overkill in function). So after the season, I'm going to swap the scope for a 4x32 with decent eye-relief and the detachable see-thru mounts, so that I retain the irons sights as optional.

In fact, I've had so much fun with this lil' bugger that my m77 mkII .308 hasn't been out at all in 2yrs. One of the things I've come to really appreciate (thinking ahead about my growing fast-growing boys)... are the redundant safeties. Tang safety, hammer and the lever-pressure safety are not at all cumbersome in the field (I thought the lever-pressure safety would affect my trigger squeeze but it hasn't noticeably).

Ultimately, this is not a junk gun at all. It may not yet have the collector's value of the winchester's or marlins, but it's just as solid, reliable, accurate and a surprisingly fun rifle to take afield and will likely have a home in my gunsafe for many years to come.
Old November 22, 2009, 11:01 PM   #48
L_Killkenny

35 rounds? And you really feel that's enough to rate a gun? While it's better than a "I heard this" or "I heard that" it's only marginally so.

Let us know how it's does after a couple 1000. Of coarse at your current rate that will be in 30-40 years.

I'll say this, most guns, even very lame ones like the Remington 770, will do fine for the occasional hunter who goes out once a year to bag a buck and then hangs the gun up. Doesn't mean it's quality though.

I'll also go in with any camp that say's it's not gonna pay more for a Mossberg knockoff than they would for a Marlin or a used Winchester.

LK
Old November 23, 2009, 09:48 AM   #49
goredsox

LK - I'm not knocking the winchester or marlin at all...In fact, I'm darn near decided on getting a marlin 336 in .338 Marlin Express, as a "Big Brother" to the 464. Also, I was not suggesting that I've put the gun through any sort of torture test (I'm not a gun writer, tester or anyone else associated with the industry and I would rather spend such a personal ammo budget on other things, like a new stove for my hunting camp :-) )... I was just trying to give feedback on my personal observations during the two years of normal use that I've owned it (which happen to correspond with the rifle's two years on the market). Since there's not been much feedback from "in the field" users on this board.

Ultimately, my own declarations are:

1. My mossberg 464 has given me no indication of it being "junk" with this practical experience.
2. Would I recommend it over a winchester or marlin? I dunno, I would probably mention the features I like about it (the accuracy I've witnessed, the extractor works well with scope, lever-pressure safety, tapped for weaver and oddly the little orange cap that lets me know when the magazine tube is empty) -- then I would suggest that the marlin has better chamberings and the winchester has more collector's value (but we can't be as certain of the future of winchester).
3. We should all be excited about a renewal of attention on lever-guns and Hornady, Marlin & Mossberg are largely responsible for the new tide.
Old November 23, 2009, 10:09 PM   #50
556A2

Quote:
Winchester will alway's be King of the Lever action rifle regardless of the die hard Marlin owners who don't prefer a legend rifle that went out at the top of it's game.
I don't want a rattle-trap that has a weaker action, PITA to scope (1894-1983) cast receiver (64-83), and commands a premium price because Winchester failed (even though it wasn't due to the 94).

Sorry, I don't buy things because of "legend" status or was used in more Hollywood movies.