The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 10, 2006, 01:25 AM   #1
FS2K

Why are BIG calibers so popular for Hogs?

Especially in certain areas.

I just noticed in the Revolver section that a Big Bore was preferred to get Big Boar! (Sorry I couln't help it, LOL!)

Allot of hunters here use .22 WMR.
Old November 10, 2006, 03:07 AM   #2
Crosshair

I would guess that bigger bullets at lower velocity would be just as lethal with less meat damage. Plus it does a good job on a headshot with that big scull.
Old November 10, 2006, 04:06 AM   #3
FS2K

Thanks crosshair

I thought it might have to do with the Hog Species too, but I see what you're saying about the lower velocity. Thanks.
Old November 10, 2006, 06:34 PM   #4
SavageSniper

I used to kill hogs with a .22WMR pistol. Let the dogs catch them, then pop them behind the ear. After a couple close calls and one really tooo close call, I switched to a 44 mag win. for the close in dirty work. Without dogs, its .270 time.
Old November 12, 2006, 05:48 PM   #5
Wild Bill Bucks

You can hunt year round with a .22, and there is only so much you can hunt with a big bore. Hogs are one of those animals, that so far, the game department, hasn't figured out a way to put a season on,or restrictions out the wazoo. Here in Oklahoma, they are the only animal out there, that you can shoot with a big bore, outside of deer, so it gives me a lot of time with my .308 than I would have without them.
Old November 12, 2006, 11:56 PM   #6
trooper3385

Most of the hogs that I shot, have been with a 223 and i can't remember losing any. Not to tough when you hit them in the ear. I shot a few behind the shoulder with a 223 and its dropped them pretty quick. A guy out at our ranch today let his 9 yr old daughter shoot about a 75 lb hog with a 22 Hornet. She hit it in the ear at about 50 yds and dropped it in its tracks. I wouldn't consider shooting one with a 22 hornet, especially a 9 yr old with not to much shooting experience, but it can be done if its hit right.
Old November 13, 2006, 11:15 AM   #7
zeisloft

A lot of it will depend on the hunting method. If you are sitting in a blind or hanging off the side of a tree and can wait for things to line up, sure use whatever you have on hand. If you are on the ground and are in heavy cover doing more of a spot and stalk type close range hunt, I prefer something with more gusto. I’m not saying you need a .500 whiz bang but I prefer a .45, .357, or .44.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old November 13, 2006, 05:34 PM   #8
txpete

tusks and a bad attitude .
Old November 13, 2006, 07:34 PM   #9
FirstFreedom

and a thick hide and gristle plate. Most people consider the round necessary for hog to be the next step up from deer/antelope/sheep/goats, alongside the same calibers suitable for elk, black bear, and moose. Reasons are aforementioned tusks, attitude, hide and gristle plate. They ain't called 'walking bullet traps' for nuttin'.
Old November 13, 2006, 10:25 PM   #10
jrklaus

"tusks and a bad attitude ."--txpete

Aw, shucks, you beat me to it.
Old November 13, 2006, 10:50 PM   #11
txpete

I shot this one with a K98K with a norma 196 gr sp.
early that morning my bud shot it with a 222 rem and just really got it mad!.
he charged me out of the thick brush and had to make a quick shot.
in the pic is where he dropped.

next time I'll have my 41 mag on my hip.
pete
Old November 13, 2006, 11:06 PM   #12
deerslayer79

I here tell those are some tuff buggers,I do side work in a butcher shop,and I have had to shoot hogs between the eyes 2 some times 3 times point blank,the behind the ear works good but get it right or cover your ears because the will sqeal,sorry if any of you'all associated with PETA.
Old November 14, 2006, 12:41 AM   #13
Fat White Boy

I was going to say- The reason for big bullets is because wild hogs, along with bears are the only regularly hunted big animals in North America that will come at you after they are shot then kill you and eat you...You want to hit them hard and put them down right now.

My friend shot one in the back with a .222, turning its spine into mush, then cut its throat. The damn thing jumped up and chased him for 100 yards using only its front legs. It finally bled out. We couldn't shoot the pig because it was right on his heels. Plus we were laughing too hard to aim...
Old November 14, 2006, 02:23 PM   #14
dfaugh

Results may be unpredictable

I've heard of people using everything from 9mm handguns(although never .22WMR) to some pretty heavy duty rifle rounds. And, the results vary wildly. I intend to go on a boar hunt in the spring, and was advised to use "something big" just in case. Seems they may go down easy, or hard, but its hard to predict, especially with the larger ones.

So, "use enough gun"!

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old November 15, 2006, 05:17 PM   #15
shootagainitsmoving

hog shots

Big bore weapons are fun to shoot with a live targets.It also gives the shooter a chance to see what type of wounds one can dish out with some hand loads, The weather here in the summer keeps one from eatting much of the meat,spoiling. So large holes in a meat you are not going to eat or mount are kinda moot? Keep your powder dry and all your shots in the ten
Old November 15, 2006, 05:57 PM   #16
Scorch

I have hunted hogs in California and Tennessee. I have shot pigs ranging from 100 lbs to 350 lbs. I have used 45ACP, 44 Mag, 357 Mag, 30-30, 32 Special, 308, 243, 7X57, 12 gauge, and 8mm Rem Mag. I have never had trouble killing one with any of those rounds.

I will say that most of the handy "brush guns" come in big bore rounds, like 444, 45-70 and such, and that may be where people get the impression you need a big bore for pigs. I have seen a number of people use monster rounds to kill pigs (like 577 Nitro Express and 450 Nitro Express), but it is not really necessary. Sure it's fun, but not really needed.

Any deer rifle will poke a hole in them just fine. Just remember that their chest cavity is shorter than a deer's chest, so shoot for the shoulder if you are going for the chest. Me, I take standing shots and shoot for the head whenever I can.
Old December 2, 2006, 02:50 AM   #17
CamoCop

i use to shoot them with just a .22LR
Old December 2, 2006, 03:22 AM   #18
Socrates

I talked to a Texas rancher today, and, his favorite hog round is the .505 Gibbs. Something about a 630 grain bullet, at 2000 fps, that, even with Texas heart shots, just drops them in their tracks. I like to eat, and, I don't want game running, and pumping all that nasty anarobic acid into the meat. Drop that guy, in his tracks, and, he has a humane death, and we have a good dinner. Guess hogs get good size in Texas, like twice, or three times, deer size.

450 Nitro Express 2 will drop a 1500 pound bison, asian buffalo, beefalo. They might get right back up, but, the other, by that time, well aimed barrel, ends the disscussion, now...

S
Old December 2, 2006, 04:40 AM   #19
dixierifleman

i think its more fun to catch them alive. but thats just me.
Old December 2, 2006, 10:30 AM   #20
FirstFreedom

Quote:
I talked to a Texas rancher today, and, his favorite hog round is the .505 Gibbs
Old December 2, 2006, 10:57 AM   #21
Socrates

http://www.accuratereloading.com/505gibbs.html

600 grains, 2400 fps, light recoil, what's not to like?
I figure if most of your shot's are going to be Texas heart shots, cause they are VERY smart, you may as well add to their plumbing system, with another nice big, hole...
Same with deer. Full length penetration can incapacitate, all by it's lonesome...

S
Old December 2, 2006, 02:25 PM   #22
whiskey

Catching them alive is more fun, but I can't afford to keep throwing away underwear! JK

I have some friends that catch hogs and sell them, but I like to just put some meat in the freezer.

I usually use a .44mag in a pistol and lever action. I can't really understand the need for any of these super huge calibers. If you enjoy a shooting them then more power to you. I don't even enjoy shooting a .300gr .44mag, but it is good hog medicine.
Old December 12, 2006, 12:25 PM   #23
Jack O'Conner

My old USAF buddy in Florida swears by his 30-30 carbine and a 1.5 million power spotlight. Is a bigger caliber actually more lethal? I thought dead was still dead.
Jack
Old December 13, 2006, 05:42 PM   #24
SavageSniper

Works just fine Jack, uh so I hear.
Old December 13, 2006, 05:48 PM   #25
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Used a .30-30 on my boar. Wanted a head mount so shoulder was what I was aiming for. And being used to the effects it has on whitetails i was surprised when it only penetrated past the shoulder and through the chest cavity to be lodged somwhere in the other shoulder instead of going on through. The shot was under 20 yards since we were using dogs in thick underbrush. the hog went down on the first shot but took a second to squeal a bit before it gave up the ghost.