The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 22, 2000, 11:37 AM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

After casting, I allow my moulds to cool (they're all treated with Rapine Bullet Mould Prep). They're stored in a wooden box which is stored in my safe. Anyway, checking my moulds after a couple weeks of using them, I found rust developing on my Whitworth mould (and none others). Steel wool removed the rust (no permanent damage) and I've since then treated it with a molybdenum disulfide grease compound.

Why the Whitworth mould (the most expensive of all my moulds) and none others? Was I doing something wrong?
Old August 22, 2000, 12:05 PM   #2
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Different iron alloy? Different handling? Gary thats a tough one my friend.
I take my moulds (all Lyman) and douse em good with WD-40 after use and store em in a ziplock that has the inside doused with WD. When its time to cast again a good brushing in acetone degreases em just fine.

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old August 22, 2000, 05:03 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Has to be a different alloy if all else is identical.

I leave the last bullet cast in the mold - no sprue cut - nada. Just pour in the lead & leave it.

I've had the outside get light surface rust with zip for rust on the interior (where it actually matters).

When I actually do drop the last bullet, after cooling, I usually shoot 'em up (soaked) with Breakfree CLP & store in a plastic bag. Any decent degreaser gets 'em ready to go ...
Old August 23, 2000, 09:21 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks for the responses guys. Better to oil and degrease when it's needed than to allow it to rust away.
Old August 24, 2000, 11:36 PM   #5
PDshooter

Yep, thats what I do.Hose down your mold with WD-40 after use.No rust!