The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 20, 2005, 09:53 PM   #1
NRAhab

Kirst vs. RD Conversions

For the '58 Remington's. Which shot better, and more importantly, which is more historically "correct?"
Old December 20, 2005, 11:24 PM   #2
Old Dragoon

The Kirst 44 Rem Konverter is more historical in the fact that the first Remingtons were converted to; First 46RF Rem for the military, then 44 CF for military and commercial use. The Kirst is not original in the fact of being removeable, it is, but there never was a removeable conversion cylinder of the Kirst design. Kirst has a removeable recoil shield/firing pin assy, that is what is not original. The " 58 Remington converted with the Kirst Konverter and the ejector assy is a close copy of the original Remington factory conversions, not perfect, but very good. One can go to the trouble to fasten the Kirst recoil shiel to the frame with a shoulder screw or two and then this would be more historically correct.

The R & D is a bit more historically correct in the design with the multiple firing pins, and the Removeable cylinder and recoil shield/firing pins assy, not so original with 45LC(mfg after 1873) there were several (calibers) cartridge conversions with the R& D design, but not in 45LC until after 1873 and then only 5 shots. 45LC conversion of the R & D design were only 5 shot cylinders due to size restrictions of the cylinder dia. The R& D conversion is close to lots of original conversions.

So the answer is both and neither, just depends on how.jam uptight original you want to be.

I chose the Kirst Konverter in 44 Rem. to be as close to a factory converted Remington as one can get today and in an authentic cartridge for the Remington conversion Pistols and Colt conversion pistols in 44 cal.

I personally do not know how the R& D conversion cylinder shoots. I'm sure that the R & D will shoot very well in a gun that shoots.

I can attest to the Kirst and the gun I have it in. This thing will drive tacks when I get good enough to hold it more still.
Old December 20, 2005, 11:59 PM   #3
Oldelm

Quote:
So the answer is both and neither, just depends on how.jam uptight original you want to be.
Well said,....

I have an R&D drop-in conversion cylinder for use in my Uberti 5.5" '58 Rem NMA chambered for .45LC/.45 Schofield, and really love it. Runs real smooth! .452 chambers. I haven't any experience with the Kirsts, but surely want to get their gated conversion setup with ejector rod for another '58 Rem sometime. I like the ability to switch from cap& ball to cartridge cylinders with the drop in, but would also like to have a fully gated conversion with ejector assembly on another. I've been entirely happy with the R&D for what it is, and have been waiting for their gated Rem. conversions but there's no word about they're being available, yet. If I could afford it,...hehe,...I 'd just go ahead and get a full Kirst Rem set-up, instead of waiting for the gated R&D. I've worked up some fairly accurate BPloads for my Remmy in .45 LC/.45Schofield using the BigLube bullets. It's a lots a fun!!!

I agree with Old Dragoon that the Kirst Konverter in 44 Rem. is as close to a factory converted Remington as one can get today , in an authentic cartridge for the Remington and Colt conversion pistols in 44 cal.
Old December 21, 2005, 01:40 AM   #4
NRAhab

Awesome, thanks guys.

I guess this means I'll just have to get one of each. Now to convince the wife.

"But Honey, it's for historical purposes. You do want me to celebrate my western heritage, don't you?"
Old December 21, 2005, 08:31 AM   #5
Old Dragoon

NRAhab,
Be sure and let us know if that argument works. LOL
This is the first that I have heard that R & D is making a gated version convertor
Looking to see it.
Both companies do a good Job.
I agree with oldelm, it is nice to be able to switch to/from BP cartridge and with the full conversion (i.e. recoil Shield, cylinder and ejector assy) it makes it harder to switch out the cylinders, but, as in the originals, once a conversion is made, seldom were they switched back(not so with the R & D and those type original type conversions)

The reason? the ejector assy from Kirst is made onto a cylinder pin and is held in place by the rammer screw, The cylinder pin is machined flat just past the screw, not as far as the BP cylinder pins.

Oldelm,
it is cheaper to buy the Kirst Konversion kit with the ejector assy and in 44 Rem it now comes with the gated version recoil shield. Mine was not ported and I did that myself.On my list is the gated recoil shield available seperately in their accessories page. I still have one more Konverter to purchase for my second '58.
Old December 30, 2005, 03:17 PM   #6
Smokin_Gun

Thuer is correct...if you could get one here...

They can be bought in Europe but are not imported here.
1868 Thuer Conversion...

http://www.hege-arms.com/
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php