The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 23, 2017, 07:18 PM   #1
MisterYuck

Sighting in my S&W 19-3

I have a S&W model 19-3. A while back my son and I decided to completely disassemble, clean and lube it. Good news is we got it back together good and everything works like it should, but we moved the sights. Now, I do not know how to sight it back in. Do I rest the barrel on a shooting bag? At what range do I set the target? Should I use .357 mag rounds or will .38 sp FMJ rounds be the same. Yes, I am a gun noob. Why do you ask?
Old January 23, 2017, 08:22 PM   #2
mehavey

Lower the rear sight all the way, then raise two turns.
Center the windage left/right.
If possible, start at 10-15 yds.
Shoot double-handed, wrists/forearms on the bag.
Use 38 special to rough out first zero, 357 for final.
Old January 23, 2017, 08:43 PM   #3
MisterYuck

Thank you very much. I promise not to mess it up again... I have actually hit a 12x18 inch metal plate from 236 feet way more than once... Before we took the poor thing apart and got the sights out of wack.
Old January 24, 2017, 01:58 AM   #4
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Bring plenty of ammo with you.

Set up a target at whatever range you want, whatever distance you would like to zero the gun to.

Place your target on top of a much bigger piece of paper. This is so if the sights are way off and you completely miss the target you will still have an idea of where the gun is hitting.

I like to rest the grip of a revolver, not the barrel, on sand bags. But that's the way I shoot, it does not really matter.

It's good to put one of those bright florescent stickies on the center of the bulls eye, so you can see the target real well. Decide how you want the gun to shoot. I like to hold at six o'clock on the target so I can see the whole target. If you want the bullets to hit exactly on top of the front sight, that is good too.

Fire groups of at least three shots, five is better. Circle the group and determine where its center is. Move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullets to go. Raise it if you want the bullets to go higher, lower it if you want them to go lower. Same thing with windage. Move the sight to the right to push your bullets to the right and vice versa.

Your Model 19 has what is known as the Click Adjustable rear sight. You will feel a subtle click six times for every rotation of the screw. Shoot a group, then adjust the sight as needed. The biggest mistake shooters make when sighting in a firearm is not firing enough rounds. Shoot and Adjust. You will figure it out.
Old January 24, 2017, 07:21 AM   #5
MisterYuck

Well, I don't know how far exactly. The other gentleman suggested 30-45 feet. I am fine with that. I will probably go with 30 feet at least to start with. I don't plan on hunting or sniping with it, though being able to hit a 12x18" piece of metal 236 feet away more than once (before I took the thing apart) got me to thinking about mounting a 3x scope on it and deer hunting... Of the few guns I own, I have had this one the longest and I enjoy shooting it the most.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my19_3_01.jpg (8.4 KB, 43 views)
Old January 24, 2017, 12:34 PM   #6
Driftwood Johnson

I suggest you sight it in for something a little bit closer than 236 feet unless that is the distance you will usually be shooting it at.

Ten to fifteen yards is a good ballpark.
Old January 24, 2017, 05:24 PM   #7
Stephanie B

See if you can borrow a laser boresight from somebody and then get it to the sights point at the red dot at, say, 25 yards. It'll save you a lot of cartridges.
Old January 26, 2017, 09:47 PM   #8
MisterYuck

Thanks everyone.

Thanks so much for all the info and suggestions... I am going to (try to) get the old gal out this weekend and sight her in...
Old January 27, 2017, 06:35 PM   #9
MisterYuck

Got it done.

15 rounds later and I would say she is sighted in. The last 3 rounds are all in the bulls eye from a shooting distance of 45 feet.
Thanks for your help everyone and have a great weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smaller357.jpg (203.3 KB, 29 views)
Old January 27, 2017, 06:42 PM   #10
upstate81

Looks good. What load did you use?
Old January 27, 2017, 07:48 PM   #11
MisterYuck

Aguila 130 grain .38 special FMJ