The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 15, 2016, 09:47 PM   #1
pctechdude

Sierra 9mm 115gr jhp

So I bought some of these to try out, will be using them in a g17 gen 4, Smith and Wesson MP full size and a Smith and Wesson MP shield.

Issue is, the m&p full size and shield require me to seat these to 1.050" for my overall length. Haven't loaded any yet, just an empty cartridge to figure seating depth.

With it being that short was wondering if anyone could pm me the load data from Sierra for some powder charges?

I can't seem to find much and not wanting to have any issues.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old October 15, 2016, 11:24 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

I have a Sierra 5th manual. Their data for the bullet is with an OAL of 1.050.

They list 18 different propellants. What powder did you plan on using? Your specific purpose? (Range shooters? Full-power defense?)
Old October 16, 2016, 12:09 AM   #3
pctechdude

Full power defense and full power plinking. If possible, silhouette/wap, autocomp, power pistol. Would be a life saver Nick!

Old October 16, 2016, 12:14 AM   #4
pctechdude

And whatever one has the highest velocity, just as a baseline. Just to see lol. I doubt that they have BE-86 in there?

Old October 16, 2016, 01:08 AM   #5
Nick_C_S

No BE-86 data And I have no experience with it either. I know it's basically Power Pistol with a flash suppressant - which also slightly speeds its burn rate to about that of Unique (as stated by an Alliant employee).

The velocity champ - oddly - is Unique at 6.6gn, yielding 1250 f/s. I won't use Unique in 9mm. Doesn't meter well enough - especially when going for max velocity.

Silhouette runs from 5.2gn to 6.4gn, yielding 1200 f/s. I don't have/use Silhouette, but I have no doubt it would be a good powder for the application.

No Autocomp data. (And I have no experience with it either.)

Power Pistol (which is what I would use for the application - regardless of Sierra's results) runs from 5.1gn to 6.0gn, yielding 1150 f/s. I'm skeptical of these modest results. Every time I use Power Pistol, I end up with bullets going really fast

I just took a peek in Speer #14 to see what's what:

And Unique is the #2 performer. Okay. Fair enough. I know from experience that Unique tends to like lighter bullets; I guess this is one of those times.

But Power Pistol fares much better compared to Sierra data; but they also peak out at 6.7 grains.

If I was loading 115's for full throttle through a full-size gun, I'm reaching for Power Pistol.

I wish I could add more personal experience. I load for 9mm, but not often. I think 2014 was the last time I loaded any 9. I have a lot of factory ammo. And for me it's only a utilitarian cartridge - i.e. conceal carry and the few times a year I practice with my carry piece. I shoot a lot, but 90+% of the time, I'm doing it recreationally and that excludes 9mm. I also have a Beretta 92fs; but it's a safe queen. Bought it in '93 and have maybe 1500 rounds though it - maybe.
Old October 16, 2016, 04:41 AM   #6
ligonierbill

FWIW, I worked up a load for Hornady XTP 115s at 6.5 gr Power Pistol. From a full size S&W M&P 9, it averages 1,287. That's 0.2 gr below Hornady's max. I use PP in most of my autoloaders. It meters really well and generally gives the best results.
Old October 16, 2016, 07:31 AM   #7
pctechdude

Thank you! I don't have any issue with unique but not a powder I use. That does seem a little low for power pistol, even at that seating depth, unlike some powders, power pistol doesn't get spiky when pushed, either does BE-86.

Silhouette is amazing for its low flash properties, and has good velocity with most cartridges. Meters good too!

Thank you again for the info, I'm going to have to get that manual.

Ligonerbill, I've got the hornady manuals, they tend to list so heavy stuff in a few cartridges. Like the charge weight in 9mm for power pistol and in 10mm for AA#9 and IMR 800x.

Old October 16, 2016, 03:33 PM   #8
Nick_C_S

Quote:
FWIW, I worked up a load for Hornady XTP 115s at 6.5 gr Power Pistol. From a full size S&W M&P 9, it averages 1,287. That's 0.2 gr below Hornady's max. I use PP in most of my autoloaders. . . . and generally gives the best results.
I believe it. Every word.

Quote:
It (Power Pistol) meters really well
Since PP is a derivative of Bullseye (was originally named BE-84), it looks absolutely identical. Seems to meter identical too - which I rate as "slightly better than average." And certainly well enough to where it's never an issue.

Quote:
unlike some powders, Power Pistol doesn't get spikey when pushed.
Umm, it's pretty energetic stuff. I approach my Power Pistol load work ups with a great deal of respect. Especially with heavy bullets (which doesn't apply in the context of this string).

Quote:
Silhouette is amazing for its low flash properties, and has good velocity with most cartridges. Meters good too!
That's what I've heard. Silhouette seems to have a solid reputation. I have no desire to try it, as I have no need for a flash suppressant. Not only that, but I'm trying to pare down the number of powders I carry in my stock; not increase .

Quote:
I'm going to have to get that manual.
If by "that manual," you mean Sierra; don't bother. They aren't making any new additions (from what I understand to be true) and Sierra 5th is pretty old as it is. I'm not sure why they came to the decision to not produce forthcoming manuals. I guess they believe everybody is moving to on-line sources. I use on-line sources; but don't ever want to see manuals go away.

Quote:
. . . they (Hornady manual) tend to list so heavy stuff in a few cartridges.
I have Hornady 9th. And yes, they seem to lean toward slower powders (it's probably their lawyers - slower powders are more forgiving of reckless loading practices. Just my guess. Don't mean to send the conversation down that road). And I tend to lean toward faster powders; therefore, I don't often use their data. Of course, when I have a Hornady bullet (which is often - their XTP's are excellent), my first load manual reach is for Hornady.
Old October 16, 2016, 07:23 PM   #9
pctechdude

Oh I agree Nick, im trying to whittle down my powders too. For 9mm and 45acp plinking, bullseye. For 10mm plinking, BE-86. For 9mm self defense ammo, depending on what I'm loading, BE-86, Silhouette, or Autocomp.

For 45acp self defense ammo, silhouette hands down. The loads Western powder has in their manuals for standard pressure and +p loads are right on the money for the velocity. A 230gr slug at 1000fps while feeling like a standard ball load.

I like power pistol a lot, but doing some night/lower light shooting it's blinding with its muzzle flash.

For my 10mm hunting ammo, 800x or AA#9. AA#9 has given me outstanding performance. Using a speer gold dot or Xtp in 180gr and the max charge per hornady of 14.9gr. Either load from my 6" kkm barrel has no more than 8fps extreme spread.
1380-1388fps. It thumps deer!

Last year I used a pulled HST with the AA#9 load. Shot doe through the shoulder. Was stuck between opposite shoulder and hide. Blew up the heart, lungs. Expansion over an inch. The butcher actually kept the bullet. He was amazed. I was kinda ticked as I wanted it but oh well! Lol.

Well that stinks about Sierra. If they go that route, hopefully they will put some data online. It sucks when you run into bullets that differ from most others. Work ups kind of stink for me because I never know when I can get out :-(