The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 31, 2012, 06:03 PM   #26
shafter

Nice Winchesters. Do you have any 66's or 73's?
Old December 31, 2012, 06:29 PM   #27
Elker_43

Thanks Shafter for the message.

The only 66 that I ever owned (imported back from Australia) was about 15 years ago. It was a SRC and I turned it around about a year later and sold it to a doctor from Texas. I do own one 86 and four 73's. One of the 73's has the special order bull barrel and two of them are SRC's.

I really like the 73's and at one time had a few more, however, I really fell in love with the 92's and like their feel when shooting them....The heavier 73's just feel clunky compared to the lighter 92's.....Just a preference.

Thanks again for the message
Old January 1, 2013, 09:56 AM   #28
PatientWolf

I don't have any yet, but the local pawn shop has one in 32-20 I have been distracted by. I just don't know much about the caliber and its uses or where I'd ever find ammo since I don't currently reload.

I'm sure and didn't mean to imply that collection was easy to assemble, so I hope you didnt take it that way. I'm equally sure that the tent camping has brought you a lot of great memories in addition to the collection it's helped you build.

Since I don't really know much about these rifles, I'm pretty much just going to watch this thread and others and learn.
Old January 2, 2013, 11:33 AM   #29
1BadF350

Elker,
Were you here when this happened to me?
http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/winche...-17859326.html
Old January 2, 2013, 03:09 PM   #30
Elker_43

Are you Chris?

1BadF350,
In reading the GVB link, I do not remember reading about the 94. If it was you that owned it then, it must be even more valuable now. What a nice piece and do you still own it? If so, have you ever shot it?

My collection does not have such a high end piece and maybe one day I'll have one. Maybe I can win the Lotto...Ya hooo!
Old January 7, 2013, 05:21 PM   #31
Elker_43

Model 1892 Survey

To all my 1892 Winchester friends:
In my recent blogging and corresponding with many folks about my lever action gun collection, I have ran into an interesting gentleman conducting a rather unique survey of Winchester model 1892's. We have had a nice conversation and I will be entering the 40 or so 92's that I have into his data base.

Some of you may have already corresponded with him on your 92's but some may not know of him. His name is Michael Puzio and he has already surveyed over 4000 92's for their barrel address type, caliber stamp, upper tang stamp, serial number and overall configuration of the rifle. He will enter each rifles info into his data base and then give you a rundown on where your 92 is in the survey. This is a rather worthwhile effort as these details do not exist in the records for collectors. He will send you sample pictures of what he needs and a spreadsheet for compiling your info. It is amazing to me after seeing the photos as to how much difference there was in the Winchester factory when they were metal stamping the address and caliber on barrels and tangs. Avery interesting item that I was not aware of!

You can contact him at: [email protected]

It was really nice to run into him and I know you will like it also.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:51 AM   #32
Picher

Is that a sump pump hole in the floor of the gun room? If so, I'd be nervous about excess humidity, though it looks like you also have a dehumidifier there.

You might attempt to minimize evaporation of water from the sump by putting a loose cover over the hole. It might minimize evaporation while allowing the sump to "breathe" when the pump operates.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:05 AM   #33
Magnum Wheel Man

yes, still working on my room, so the cover will go on soon ( I was monitoring the sump levels & function of the pump at the time of that pic )

actually I'm on high ground, with sugar sand at that depth, so I never expect ground water in the pit, so the pit mostly just empties the dehumidifier

DRUMMER... I have my own 300 yard rifle / pistol range, & probably spend more time mowing it, than I do shooting on it... I can always use an excuse to use the range for what it was intended for
Old January 8, 2013, 07:06 PM   #34
Elker_43

I was kinda wondering about the sump pump myself and the humidity factor. I guess as long as there is not any water in the sump it is not a real factor in the equation.

My gun room has hot water radiant heating in the floors so I am not too worried about moisture. I also purchased the chemical dehumidifiers with the catchbasin in the bottom and set everal of them around and in the cabinets. They seem to work quite well.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:42 PM   #35
willhud

Quote:
Hello All, I am lonely for my gun collection and needed to share my misery!
I just bought my first lever action rifle, a Henry .22LR. My dad had a 30-30 either Remington or Winchester when I was a kid. I always wanted that rifle. This is the first rifle I have owned since I was a teen. I am loving getting back into shooting. So if you really want to share your misery and adopt a 43 year old to leave even a small part of your collection to, I am more then willing <j/k>

Seriously, that is an Amazing collection and setup. You should be very proud of the hard work and years it took to putting it together.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:07 AM   #36
Magnum Wheel Man

BTW... I have one of the 3 gauge weather meters, & monitor the humidity... the room has been maintaining right around 50 - 55% humidity where I have the dehumidifiers set at... I think enough to reduce static, but low enough to keep things from getting rusty... the concrete was just poured 6 -8 months ago, but everything was lined in plastic, before getting insulated & paneled, to force any curing moisture release to the outside
Old January 9, 2013, 11:55 PM   #37
Win73

Quote:
If you need to chat about old Winchesters, lets do it as I sit here most of the day reading on line as much as possible about Winchesters.
If you like old Winchesters, maybe you will like mine. It was manufactured in 1892. It was passed down to me from my father. He paid $5 for it. That doesn't sound like a lot but it was around 1930 and was almost a weeks pay for him at the time.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old January 10, 2013, 06:54 AM   #38
Elker_43

A nice 73 that you have!
The stock has a great tiger pattern to it and looks quite well taken care of. I am assuming that you have others and do you collect the 73's?

What caliber is it and have you shot it much?

As I said in a previous post, the 73's are great pieces but just a bit more heavy than I like when shooting.

I also have two sets of the original cleaning rods, one of which still resides in the original 73 that i aquired about 20 years ago. Finding original cleaning rods is really hard to find especially along with the 73's. I guess that most owners just pulled them out and left them at home so that is why so many were just not with the piece.
Old January 10, 2013, 07:55 PM   #39
Win73

Quote:
A nice 73 that you have!
The stock has a great tiger pattern to it and looks quite well taken care of. I am assuming that you have others and do you collect the 73's?

What caliber is it and have you shot it much?

As I said in a previous post, the 73's are great pieces but just a bit more heavy than I like when shooting.

I also have two sets of the original cleaning rods, one of which still resides in the original 73 that i aquired about 20 years ago. Finding original cleaning rods is really hard to find especially along with the 73's. I guess that most owners just pulled them out and left them at home so that is why so many were just not with the piece.
Elker

It is a nice gun and is in pretty decent shape, especially for a 120 year old gun. But it was not given any special treatment until about the last 25 years of its life. Up until then it was a using gun. Although it wasn't used much past about 1970. It is a .38-40.

I don't collect '73's. It is the only one I have. I do have one other lever action. It is a Marlin 39A Golden Mountie, 1967 vintage. The last time I shot the '73 was four years ago. I shot a deer with it. I blood trailed the deer over 500 yards but could not find it. After that I have shot all my deer with my .30-06.

I don't have the cleaning rod with mine. I wish I did. You say you have two. Would you consider selling one and if you would, what would be the price?
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old January 13, 2013, 01:14 AM   #40
Elker_43

I just got back on the board and wanted to answer Win73 about the Winchester 1873 cleaning rods.

At this point I really don't want to sell the cleaning rods as I do have other
73s that I can drop them into the stock. Thanks for the question anyway