The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 19, 2012, 11:32 AM   #1
breakingcontact

10/22 Magnum Research

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firear...tock-Rifle.asp

Warning on rifle clearly states it is not to be dry fired.

How does one not dry fire after running out of ammo? (no bolt hold open, I know you could count but who does that on a 25 round magazine)

Is this design so far different from the Ruger that dry firing will indeed damage the gun, unlike a regular 10/22?
Old December 19, 2012, 02:16 PM   #2
shrewd

most rim fires say that. I've gone click on my 10/22 hundreds of times.

if you're not comfortable, maybe buy a spare firing pin just in case?
Old December 19, 2012, 03:03 PM   #3
tahunua001

yes, just about all rimfire manufacturers tell you not to dry firing including ruger. done sparingly like after the last shot then I forsee no problem at all but doing so repeticiosly can wear out your gun much faster.
Old December 19, 2012, 03:17 PM   #4
breakingcontact

Got a prompt email from them. basically saying to shoot it and not worry...don't dry fire it over and over.
Old December 26, 2012, 12:37 AM   #5
dmazur

Quote:
if you're not comfortable, maybe buy a spare firing pin just in case?
And for many guns, the firing pin is the part which is at risk if the gun is dry-fired.

However, I believe the common problem with .22's is "peening" the edge of the chamber. If the brass case rim isn't there to stop it, many firing pins will happily travel all the way forward until they hit the end of the chamber. Eventually, this can effectively reduce the diameter in that spot and make chambering a round difficult or impossible.

Some guns, and I believe the Ruger Mark II and 10/22 are examples, have some kind of firing pin retainer which prevents this overtravel. These can generally be dry-fired without undesirable consequences.
Old December 26, 2012, 01:29 AM   #6
DnPRK

When you dry fire a 10/22, the forward motion of the firing pin is stopped short of hitting the edge of the chamber by a spring pin in the bolt which fits through a hole in the firing pin.

Dry fire too much and the spring pin could bend or the edge of the hole in the firing pin hole could peen and allow the tip of the firing pin to hit the edge of the chamber. But with the generous tolerances I've seen in 10/22 bolts, you would have to dry fire it hundreds of times before it becomes a problem.
Old December 26, 2012, 02:41 PM   #7
kahrguy

No all .22s allow the fireing pin to strick the edge of the barel. Rugers do not hit. nether does savage
Old January 6, 2013, 11:50 PM   #8
alaskabushman

The worst case of dry fire I have ever seen was on an old Jennings .22 pistol. there was such a divot on the chamber mouth that a round couldn't extract due to the pressure on the side of the case from the dimple. A small round file fixed it right up and worked fine (as fine as a Jennings usually works). I'm sure that there must have been hundreds or maybe thousands of "clicks" to get to that point. I try not to dry fire other peoples rimfires, but I do it to my own and have never had any issues.