The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 13, 2009, 12:58 AM   #1
MetalJer

Safe 9mm loads?

I recently reloaded my first 15 rounds for my Glock 34 (5.3 inch barrrel).

Here is what I loaded:

Clean cases.
147gr Hornady FMJs.
3.2gr Titegroup.
Winchester small pistol primers.
1.167 OAL

I am planning on test firing tomorrow.

Does this sound like a safe load?

Thanks for the input!
Old June 13, 2009, 01:01 AM   #2
freakshow10mm

What load data source did you use?
Old June 13, 2009, 01:19 AM   #3
MetalJer

I used Hodgdon's site. I was just wondering if the barrel length would make a difference. Also, I used a crimp die - and they feel identical to Win white box and Fiocci's crimp.
Old June 13, 2009, 06:13 AM   #4
Cajun

I would be concerned about the crimp. The 9 MM using the top edge of the case to determine where the cartridge gos in the barrel. If you crimp too much, the cartridge can go too far in the barrel causing a big problem.
Old June 13, 2009, 08:28 AM   #5
PCJim

Metal, you cannot go by "feel" to determine whether they will chamber. Best to check with either a caliper or case gauge. Disassemble your G26, remove the barrel and try dropping your new rounds into the chamber. Those rounds should drop in easily and fall out easily.

Range report today?
Old June 13, 2009, 09:58 AM   #6
Russ5924

3.2 of Titegroup not sure you will even get the Glock to cycle right. It sure wouldn't work in any of my autos But then mine doesn't have the long barrel.I just looked and for low end using Titegroup is 3.2 with a 147 grain bullet but it calls for a Cola of 1.100. I had tried to use Titegroup in my 9mm and didn't like it. It's a great powder use a lot of it but didn't do well in 9mm. I had good results with W231 so went with that. I think Titegroup will work but at the time didn't feel like messing with 2 powders.

Last edited by Russ5924; June 13, 2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old June 13, 2009, 01:11 PM   #7
MetalJer

Okay, thanks to all. This is the plan:

Pull the rounds that I have made and reload them to a 1.100 OAL. I was starting 1.167 to reduce pressure since my Glock 34 (not a 26) has such a long barrel. If this seems okay to everyone, then I will move forward. Since I am a newb - I want to be extra cautious. I removed the barrel and the reloaded rounds drop right in and are seated in the barrel the same as all of factory loads that I have on hand (3 different manufactures). So, if this sounds okay, I will hit the range on Sunday shooting at USPSA cardboard to watch for keyholes.

Please note that I will be making darn sure that I see a new hole in the cardboard after every shot to ensure that I don't have a bullet lodged in the barrel.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by MetalJer; June 13, 2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old June 13, 2009, 07:02 PM   #8
Dimebag

Calipers man...use calipers!
Old June 13, 2009, 07:36 PM   #9
D. Manley

Quote:
I recently reloaded my first 15 rounds for my Glock 34 (5.3 inch barrrel).

Here is what I loaded:

Clean cases.
147gr Hornady FMJs.
3.2gr Titegroup.
Winchester small pistol primers.
1.167 OAL

I am planning on test firing tomorrow.

Does this sound like a safe load?

Thanks for the input!
That's a nice load, used by lots of competitive shooters...will make minor PF from a G-34. There's no need to load that long though, I'd seat them around 1.140 (+/- .005).

EDIT: Reading your subsequent post, I'd caution against loading the 147 FMJ to 1.10...that's too short for a FMJ/RN bullet at that weight. My suggestion above will be both safe and functional. Unlike your original load simply being unnecessarily long, loading too short carries some risk particularly with the heavy bullet. Your load is a fairly mild one but TG is not particularly forgiving of pressure spikes.

Last edited by D. Manley; June 13, 2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old June 13, 2009, 10:23 PM   #10
MetalJer

After some thought - and some reading, I came to the conclusion that I would load them to 1.108. And that is exactly what I did, then I read D. Manley's post.

D. Manley, should I pull these too? I have no problem with the 1.140 you suggest. Do you see a safety issue at 1.108?

Thank you for the advice!
Old June 13, 2009, 10:56 PM   #11
D. Manley

How many are you talking about here? If you're sure about your powder drop, I'd think 3.2 should be "safe" even loaded that short. Any "risks" comes into play when a case is overcharged (and it don't take much with TG) and is multiplied when a heavy bullet is loaded short.

When looking at printed load data, you have to extrapolate a bit. Some manuals list a specific OAL for a specific bullet, others may only list the minimum or maximum SAAMI OAL for the caliber, etc., etc. To be honest, the only 9MM bullets I routinely load to 1.10 in 9MM is some of the JHP's and even then, most 147 grainers are at 1.120/1.125. Due to the RN profile, when you load them to the same OAL of say, a JHP or FN bullet then, you are putting a lot more bullet into the case which in turn, raises pressure.

FWIW, one of the nicest shooting loads I've shot lately is 3.1 grains TG under a 147 grain Zero JHP @ 1.20 OAL.
Old June 14, 2009, 04:53 AM   #12
MetalJer

Only 10 rounds. I can't really see any benefit in firing them other than comparing accuracy between the loads, assuming that both loads cycle properly, whiich they sound like they would. I will pull them tomorrow afternoon and load them up as 1.140. I weighed about 30 charges before I ever seated a bullet - always 3.2gr. After that, I even weighed the completed cases (I know that varies a bit due to the case and bullet, but I looked at the powder charge every time). Regardless, the information you have provided is very valuable to me and very much appreciated - gun guys are the nicest guys around.

If you have any comments or any more words of wisdom: Fire away!

Thanks again,

MetalJer
Old June 14, 2009, 11:36 AM   #13
D. Manley

Quote:
Only 10 rounds. I can't really see any benefit in firing them other than comparing accuracy between the loads, assuming that both loads cycle properly, whiich they sound like they would. I will pull them tomorrow afternoon and load them up as 1.140. I weighed about 30 charges before I ever seated a bullet - always 3.2gr. After that, I even weighed the completed cases (I know that varies a bit due to the case and bullet, but I looked at the powder charge every time). Regardless, the information you have provided is very valuable to me and very much appreciated - gun guys are the nicest guys around.

If you have any comments or any more words of wisdom: Fire away!

Thanks again,

MetalJer
Nope, have fun and enjoy your work. That should be a nice, soft-shooting load with adequate accuracy. Be sure to post your results...
Old June 14, 2009, 07:33 PM   #14
MetalJer

I loaded 15 rounds at 1.138 - 1.142 OAL. They all cycled and fired flawlessly, and were softer that the standard 115gr factory ammo, so this should speed my USPSA times up a bit. I will report back in a couple of days comparing accuracy of this load vs. some factory loads.

Thanks to all for the info and advice! I hope this helps someone else out too!

MetalJer