The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 26, 2007, 02:33 PM   #1
djturnz

Two Full-auto questions

1. Just for grins, what is the most inexpensive Full-auto going right now?

2. Is there a list of Full-auto guns that are in the US?

I'm sure you can't go look at the registry, so is there a list of what models are registered? Were ANY FAs that were here at the time of the registartion not allowed to be registered, or did they let them all in?
Old February 26, 2007, 03:54 PM   #2
ffxmike

I don't know if it's the MOST expensive, but it's got to be up there:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/MINIGUN.html

$399,999.99
Old February 26, 2007, 04:19 PM   #3
shaggy

Right now the most inexpensive would probably be an SWD M11/9mm at about $3000.

As for a published list or what is available as a transferable, there is none.
Old February 26, 2007, 05:36 PM   #4
dave0520

Quote:
As for a published list or what is available as a transferable, there is none.
Sure there is...on the computer of every ATF agent.
Old February 26, 2007, 09:01 PM   #5
catsofthebase3

Inexpensive class 3=kind of an oxymoron, no?
A man who carries with him a weapon states that he can use said weapon effectively, as well as understands the responsibility involved. A man who carries with him a weapon is held to a higher standard of level-headed judgment.
Old February 27, 2007, 09:20 AM   #6
mxwelch

Quote:
1. Just for grins, what is the most inexpensive Full-auto going right now?

2. Is there a list of Full-auto guns that are in the US?

I'm sure you can't go look at the registry, so is there a list of what models are registered? Were ANY FAs that were here at the time of the registartion not allowed to be registered, or did they let them all in?
1. See Shaggy's answer above.

2. Have no idea but I'd guess just about every thing is available.

Not sure where you're going with the last one. The NFA was enacted in 1934 with the GCA in 1968. Something tells me you're referring to the 1986 amnesty period. I have no idea but I'd suspect they let every one that attempted to register a weapon register it.
Old February 27, 2007, 03:44 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Mxwelch, I think you mean the 1968 amnesty; there was no amnesty in 1986.

They pretty well did register about everything that was applied for. The only exceptions were current U.S. military arms that could not possibly have been obtained legally, like M16s and M60 MGs. But other current arms were registered with no problems.

The National Firearms Registration and Transfer Registry is the database that holds all NFA information. It is not open to the public, nor would we want it to be. (Registration is bad enough; for your gun info to be available to every newspaper editor, anti-gun nut, or thief - about all the same in my book - would be worse.) They have some breakouts, as they can say how many of one kind of gun have been registered, but I don't know how far they have gone on it.

The NFRTR is not "on the computer" of every agent. Things may have changed, but if I was told correctly, it is not even accessible to field agents; if they need info (say they find an MG and want to know if it is registered), they have to call in to HQ to get the info.

Jim
Old March 1, 2007, 01:43 AM   #8
anthonyj

NFA numbers

The number I have heard most often is 286,000, give or take a few thousand, registered full auto weapons available for civilians, that includes registered sears as well. Probably a number that was made up, circulated, and then repeated enough times to be considered fact. You would think that an agency that requires strict registration procedures would know exactly how many full auto's are out there.
But then again it is a government agency they probably don't even know how many agents they have.
Jim
Old March 2, 2007, 08:27 AM   #9
mxwelch

Quote:
Mxwelch, I think you mean the 1968 amnesty; there was no amnesty in 1986.
My bad Jim.

I must have been thinking immigration when I made that post.
Old March 4, 2007, 12:51 AM   #10
CleverNickname

I saw a transferrable BAR being sold awhile back. Now, most transferrable BARs aren't all that expensive, around $20-25k. But this was BAR serial number 1, and they wanted $600,000 for it.
Old March 4, 2007, 10:08 AM   #11
Bob42

I have heard internet stories about a handful of registered rocket/grenade launchers (usually RPG-7s and M-79s, respectively) and their associated ammunition. Does anyone know if these exist and if so, what the cost would be? I know these are not automatic weapons, but it seems like they would have similarly (inflated) high prices.

Last edited by Bob42; March 4, 2007 at 10:09 AM. Reason: grammer
Old March 4, 2007, 10:34 AM   #12
VUPDblue

I haven't heard of any 40mm HE rounds being transferred, but the M79's are out there. They really aren't that expensive, though, because the registry is not closed on them. They do, however, need to be registered with the NFA as destructive devices. Heck, you can even buy a brand spanking new M203 from LMT for about $1500. The only ammo you are likely to find is chalk, smoke and dummy, however there are adapters available that allow your 40mm to shoot .22lr. They are called hornet's nests and they chamber 12 rounds of .22lr simultaneously.
Old March 7, 2007, 06:17 PM   #13
MisterPX

The most INexpensive, will be a M-11/9. In the ballpark of $3K.

There is a list, which the BATFE has. Since it is tax paperwork, good luck getting a copy of it.