The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2013, 05:03 PM   #1
cubsfan

brass discolored after cleaning

I got a deal on some "once fired" brass and a lot of it was pretty dirty. So after sorting by manufacturer I soaked it for about an hour using the NRA cleaning solution. The picture shows what happened to a few out of the entire batch of about 200 pieces. These were all headstamped CBC, which is a company in Brazil. I'm inclined to just toss these but wanted to find out if anyone might have an idea as to the cause of this dull copper coloring. All the others in the batch came out clean and shiny as I expected.

117.JPG
Old April 13, 2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Cesure

Don't toss them. That looks like surface depletion of the zinc from the alloy. Wait for UncleNick to weigh in or read this thread.
Old April 13, 2013, 06:15 PM   #3
cubsfan

Thanks. I just read the thread where UncleNick posted his explanation on citric acid (April 7th). I don't have corn cob media but I do use ground walnut shells with about a capful of NuFinish, so I'll try that for the few that had the pink color. I didn't tumble this batch because they were pretty dirty, lots of mud inside and out.

On a slightly related note, for anyone that has a lot of mixed, recovered brass with headstamps you don't recognize, try this link:

http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=headstampcodes#P
Old April 13, 2013, 07:55 PM   #4
trobin

I soaked some brass in vinegar and salt for about 30 minutes then rinsed inside and out before soaking in hot water and dawn. Tumbled in habit frieght walnut and nufinish for 24 hrs. They are spotless and shiny.
Old April 14, 2013, 01:12 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

As you'll discover, if you follow the link... CBC is MagTech. It's decent brass, in most cartridges.

The discoloration you see, is from tarnished portions of the cases having the zinc leached out. It shouldn't pose a problem, unless the case feels weakened. In ultra-common cartridges (like 9mm and .40 S&W), I generally just toss the cases in the recycling bucket, though.
Old April 14, 2013, 07:53 AM   #6
Gster

I threw a handful of some really tarnished cases in "too" strong a mixture of citric acid and boiling water and they came out looking like that. After tumbling in nutshell media they were a little better but not pretty. There were only a few so I polished them with a cordless drill and some 2000 grit paper and they look better than new. I polish all my rifle brass with 2000 grit paper.
Old April 14, 2013, 08:48 AM   #7
cubsfan

CBC headstamp

FrankenMauser,
I also see on other forums a reference to the CBC headstamp as being from Magtech. But when I go to the International Ammunition Association web site (the link I provided), it shows this:

CBC Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos, Avenida Industrial No 3330, Santo Andre, Estado de Sâo Paulo, Brazil (ca'1997: Av Humberto de Compos 3220, 09400 000 Ribeirao Pires SP, Brazil) 1

So, I'm guessing that this company is the manufacturer for some of the ammo that Magtech boxes.
Old April 14, 2013, 09:04 AM   #8
Cesure

Quote:
So, I'm guessing that this company is the manufacturer for some of the ammo that Magtech boxes.
According to wiki, Magtech is actually a brand name owned by CBC.

CBC is one of the largest ammunition manufacturers in the world, with focus in production of small and medium calibers... CBC exports its products for commercial and law enforcement markets under the brand Magtech Ammunition. The company has its headquarters and three production facilities in Brazil, as well as two subsidiaries in Europe - the companies MEN in Germany and Sellier & Bellot in Czech Republic.
Old April 14, 2013, 09:17 AM   #9
cubsfan

Thanks for the additional info on CBC. Based on everything I'm seeing here and other places about the company, I'm going to assume it's pretty good brass.
Old April 14, 2013, 09:29 AM   #10
Cesure

Magtech brass has a pretty good reputation. Bought directly for reloading, I've heard the mouths need more dressing than Starline, but I haven't personally bought new Magtech brass.