The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 27, 2013, 11:43 PM   #26
LRChops

Cheaper Than Dirt is going out of business. They are gouging!
Old January 29, 2013, 04:43 PM   #27
tgreening

Update:

Went into my closest LGS today on the way home from work and they had 2 doz ARs in stock of various manufacturers. Bushmaster, Armalite, Sig, etc etc. I'd say around 8-10 different makers. Even had some .223 that had a 10 box limit, but it was still in stock. My other LGS had about 3-4 different models in stock, but I didn't ask how may. They had .223 on the shelf as well, but a 5 box limit. Also had Pmags with a limit of 5, and had some of those funky 100 round double-drum magazines on the shelf. Probably about a half dozen of those.

The drums and mags have been still in stock for what, about a week now? Something like that. At least one model of AR on the shelf has stayed in stock for that amount of time as well.

Point being I guess is that at least around here it seems to be easing up. A couple weeks ago that crap would have been gone the instant it hit the shelves.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:29 PM   #28
imp

We saw the same thing for years ago. Right now the demand is just too much for the supply, but that will change in a few months.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:46 PM   #29
FairWarning

I recall quite the panic in 2008 before our devious Emperor was crowned. The prices spiked bigtime for certain items for a number of months, then eventually came back down, but again, not to the previous norm. A new, higher norm will be established after they fall slightly.
Old January 29, 2013, 07:27 PM   #30
Mezzanine

No, if we do our part in being active and sensible in the political arena there will be no new legislation that restricts the 2A. Right now theres a bunch of people looking to make some easy money buy purchasing a few EBR's then flipping them to the scare market. Same with mags too. There selfish and only want to make some easy money. If we just simply dont overpay for these rifles the sellers will be forced to reduce their prices because supply and demand works both ways. The saddest thing to me is how many of these rifles will go unfired in somebodys closet or safe.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:54 PM   #31
farmboy

Arms List (Iowa) has a Mini 14 for $650 , with 4 mags.

I'm finding .45 ACP and some 7.62 x 39 available online now.

It seems to be easing here as well.
Old January 30, 2013, 08:47 AM   #32
Fishbed77

Quote:
I'm finding .45 ACP and some 7.62 x 39 available online now.
Please tell us where you are finding this 7.62 x 39!
Old January 30, 2013, 12:08 PM   #33
coldbeer

Prices will come down since the idiots paying big money can't keep it up forever. Eventually those expensive rifles will rot on the shelf if they don't lower the price. It could take a year or two though.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:15 PM   #34
Jimboski

I read a news article 3-4 days ago, many LEO agencies, and departments are short on ammo supply, and many rifle, and ammo manufacturers are back-ordered about 1 year (probably longer)...Sucks!
Old January 31, 2013, 04:02 AM   #35
Chinny33

its worse now than in 2008

It is definitely worse now than in 2008. How do I know that? The Shot Show is always end of January. It is the show where all the big manufactures show their new stuff. Has anyone noticed no BIG write-ups about any new firearms to come out in 2013? Why? Because they are back ordered for ~12months+. I remember the backlog from 2008-2009 was 6 months. We're DOUBLE that now! The new news lately is that back orders are piling to their ceilings. I remember 2009 was the year AR-15s in 22LR were the rage.

SWHC + RGR = 2 major stocks worth looking at now.
Proverbs 27:12
Old January 31, 2013, 12:29 PM   #36
DE Shooter

The Walmart here finally starting getting Colt LE6920s back in stock; first since mid-December las year. The price is still the same. They did have DPMS, Sigs and Olympic ARs, but haven't seen any of them. I think it is much worse now, then in 2008. We, in my state, not have to worry about new Federal laws that may be introduced; I am more concerned with what our state legislature will attempt to pass. New York is leading the new wave, other states will surely attempt to folow. Stay alert to what your state legislature is up to!
Old January 31, 2013, 12:34 PM   #37
coldbeer

I've seen Bushmaster AR's going for $2400. Has the recent tragedies where a Bushmaster rifle was used givin people the impression Bushmaster is a top quality AR manufacturer?
Old January 31, 2013, 11:03 PM   #38
MarkCO

AR prices are starting to come back down, but backorders are not. If we make it through about May or so with no movement towards legislation, then it is probable more loosening will occur. I expect there will be some ARs for good deal prices in 6 to 8 months.

Ammo and reloading components...it will be a year or more, maybe never, before there is enough stock available.

Many of the major players in the industry are in finanicial limbo due to banking and credit issuance being pulled, much less payment processing. Having to change the way they do business, in some cases have left the LGS having to pay cash for new orders. I expect some small gunstores that sold out and now don't have the credit, clout and cash to buy stock while going 2-6 months moving little or no inventory, will go under. Some of the big companies have been cancelling accounts of small dealers and sending them to distributors, further restricting their profitability.

There are a myriad of ripples to the panic buying.