The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2013, 11:56 AM   #1
funtime1911

Best Starter Relaoding set up

Looking to start reloading but need help in finding the right set up for a beginner like me. I have looked at several kits from single, turret and all in one but not sure what is best for a beginner. Any advise would be helpful.
Old January 14, 2013, 12:47 PM   #2
serf 'rett

A single stage press or turret is a good starter. Give us a little more information such as:

What will you be loading? Rifle, pistol or shotgun?

Caliber?

Volume you think you will be loading/shooting per week or month or year?

A good book for the basics is The ABCs of Reloading.
Old January 14, 2013, 12:55 PM   #3
Xfire68

Lee's Classic Turret with the Pro Disk powder measurer, dies you need,scale, good reloading manual, powder,primers and brass.
Old January 14, 2013, 01:02 PM   #4
BuckRub

Rock Chucker kit from RCBS. about $250.00 from Midway but google it and you'll find it for about $225.00
Old January 14, 2013, 01:11 PM   #5
azphx55

I started with the Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit. It's a single stage press plus primer feed and balance scale at a good price. It's a good way to find out if you really want to do this.

After a few hundred rounds, I moved up to the Lee Classic Turret, keeping the single stage press for special jobs and using the primer feed and scale (and the dies I had accumulated) with the Turret.

Not long after that, I bought the powder feed attachment and an electronic scale and installed a small LED light and haven't felt a need to add anything new in a while.
Old January 14, 2013, 03:04 PM   #6
funtime1911

Pistol loads are what I would be reloading. I have several from 380 to 40 with the plans to add 45 to it as well. I only once a month because of bullet prices and time restraints. thanks
Old January 14, 2013, 07:14 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

The Lee Classic Turret is a great press. Though I can not find one in stock anywhere online at this time.

Other than that a single stage like the Breech Lock Challenger will serve you well. If you decide you want faster, and want to upgrade then by that time there should be Classic Turrets on the shelves of sellers.

Note I have been using a Breech Lock Challenger for the past 4 years. I load a minimum of 500 rounds a week. Most times it closer to 1000.
Old January 14, 2013, 07:23 PM   #8
serf 'rett

I got the RCBS Rock Chucker kit. Use everything except the lube pad. Upgraded the Uniflow with a small capacity cylinder. RCBS dies. Press is heavy duty. Approaching the 10,000 rounds loaded mark and I'm happy as a claim with my choices.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:19 PM   #9
Northrider

I have a Hornady Lock N Load single stage press. Have used it for over 5 years with no problems. I did get tired of always having to adjust my RCBS powder throw, so bought a Lyman electronic powder measure/dispenser and it gives consistent powder weights all the time.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:25 PM   #10
Ghost1958

This is going to seem an ignorant question and it is. But I have zero knowledge of reloading. Are you limited to hard cast or can you get jhp bullets?
And is there a substantial cost savings to reloading or is it something you would mainly get into to be able to work up your own loads etc?
Thanks
Old January 14, 2013, 11:30 PM   #11
jmortimer

"Substantial savings" come from comparing "premium" factory ammunition to your own premium version loaded with the exact bullet you want with the exact powder and powder charge you want. You can load any bullet you like. Go for a Lee Precision Classic Turret. You can use it without auto-index in single stage mode as I do. Get "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee and Lymans 49th manuals before you do anything.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:11 AM   #12
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfire68

Lee's Classic Turret with the Pro Disk powder measurer, dies you need,scale, good reloading manual, powder,primers and brass.
From Kempf's Gun Shop online that kit (plus the included primer dispenser and a few small plastic ammo boxes) will set you back about $270 plus powder ($20-30 for a pound) primers ($15 for 500), brass (free if you have saved the brass from your retail-purchased ammo) and bullets (anywhere from 5 cents to 50 cents each depending on how fancy you want - close to free if you cast your own)

However, this setup is next to worthless if if doesn't fit your needs because you will be trading off (at a loss) most of the gear that you don't like.

We can sort out a lot of what is clearly a bad fit for you only if we know you. So, please describe yourself and your needs. We can narrow your choices a little to make your decisions a bit simpler.

My ideal setup that fits ME perfectly consists of the Lee Classic Turret, 6 sets of dies mounted in turrets for quick and easy die swaps, a few Auto-Disk powder measures a scale, calipers and various small tools.

No guarantee it will fit YOU perfectly.

Lost Sheep
Old January 15, 2013, 05:12 AM   #13
308Prepper

If you're loading straight wall pistol/revolver only, seriously consider the Dillon Square Deal B. I've been using one for more than 20 years, along side my Dillon XL 650, and it is one excellent machine. You can start out simple by loading one round at a time, similar to single stage, until you become more familiar with the process. Then move to progressive. After you get proficient with the machine 400 an hour is easily obtainable. Go to Dillon's website, and watch the video, or do a YouTube search for Dillon Square Deal B.

You still need several accessories such as, scales, calipers, bullet puller, hand-tools, etc.

I can't speak for the customer service from the other manufactures, but I can for Dillon. They are excellent.

Remember you get what you pay for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL1wacQrmC8

Oh yeah, you buy the Dillon, then decide re-loading isn't for you, you can sell it easily without taking a bath. Just look around, and on eBay, for what used Square Deal B's are going for.

Last edited by 308Prepper; January 15, 2013 at 07:05 AM.