The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 17, 2012, 09:05 AM   #1
Uncle Billy

What's the best brass for .22 Hornet reloads?

Apparently Norma and Lapua don't make .22 Hornet brass, and I'm not familiar enough with other brands to rate them, virgin or factory loads. Can anyone recommend one brand of ammo or cases that's best for this cartridge?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate hearing what others have learned.
Old November 17, 2012, 09:27 AM   #2
Goatwhiskers

Can't really recommend one brand over another, currently I'm using Remington. I will say that if you stay away from the upper end loads and neck size only you'll be amazed at case life. I don't like to publish my loads, but if you PM me I'll tell you what works best in my gun. Goat
Old November 17, 2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Uncle Billy

Thanks, Goat. I'm onto Remingtons too, just now. I have a couple of loads that work pretty well, what I'm trying to do is to optimize the brass it's loaded in to tighten up accuracy. Looks like I'll be looking at a lot of cases pretty closely to get a bunch that match each other closely.
Old November 18, 2012, 11:30 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I prefer Federal brass components but will use Winchester whenever Federal brass isn't available for one reason or another. I just don't care to use Remington brass period. Been at this game of reloading nearly 50 years and developed habits and preferences. This is just one of my preferences. If betting or prize money is involved then buy the best. If for fun or leisure. You could get by with just about any manufactures cartridge casings. Even first fires. I'm sure your going to use whatever is available Op. Domestic or foreign. You have many brands to choose from Sir.