The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Amsdorf

You Don't Have to Aim a Shotgun Mythbusting VIDEO

It's surprising how often I hear people say that the shotgun is the best home defense weapon because...."you don't have to aim it, just point and shoot." This video explains and shows why that is ridiculous, a bit of shotgun mythbusting, if you will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsN2AugB5pw
Old May 26, 2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Gunnut17

I think it is ridiculous to think a shotgun can be used without aiming. If that were true, most shotguns wouldn't be supplied with sights.

But that's not to say it isn't an ideal gun for home defense. it has a lot of knockdown power, and shot is less likely to overpenetrate than a 5.56 or even a 9mm.
Old May 26, 2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Amsdorf

It is completely ridiculous, but you'd be surprised how many people think you don't have to aim them. Hollywood is forever showing a person blasting away with a shotgun from the hip blowing people away who are 25 yards or more away.
Old May 26, 2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Amsdorf

Oh, and you are absolutely correct about the home defense/self-defense utility. You hit a person with .00 in their chest and they are going down, for good.

Punch a hole in a person with a 9mm and a 5.56 and you may just really are them mad.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; May 26, 2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Language
Old May 26, 2012, 06:03 PM   #5
oneounceload

I have never aimed a shotgun in 35 years - always pointed mine- and yes, there IS a difference. Most shotguns have a bead for a sight - not exactly conducive to good aiming, but it works very well for pointing. Now if you are using it on a stationary target like a deer from a stand, then you would need to replace the bead with a rifle sight and shoot like that; otherwise, I would hardly call a you tube video as definitive mythbusting
Old May 26, 2012, 06:33 PM   #6
Amsdorf

Alrighty then...you can call the video, "Why you have to point a shotgun" if that is what makes you happy.

<g>
Old May 26, 2012, 09:14 PM   #7
TheKlawMan

Amsdorf,

Oneounceload is right. You don't have to aim a shotgun but only point it if you get good with one. In fact, aiming at a flying target will likely result in a miss. If shooting at a stationary target you can get away with aiming and if it is a hard shot it may help. That is not the case in most home defense situations where speed is primary and the target is usually less than 10 yards (and may be moving quickly).

At least that is my understanding, but I am no home defense expert and only a novice clay shooter.

Listen again to what your video guru was saying, which is that you can't just "generally aim" a shotgun. Pointing with a well fit shotgun is anything but generally aiming.
Old May 26, 2012, 09:22 PM   #8
Amsdorf

Well, good luck with the whole "I don't have to aim a shotgun" in a defensive scenario.

Tell you what, chief, put up a video showing us your awesome "no aim" skills and we'll all be grateful for it.

Old May 26, 2012, 09:26 PM   #9
oldguy870

A shotgun is a close range tool best suited for indoors home defense. So, the 70' example is kind of meaningless. Indoors, a bad guy trying to kill you most likely while moving (you will probably be moving too). A shotgun is best used POINT SHOOTING. You will be fixated on the threat and point shoot. You can point shoot a shotgun accurately at room distances faster than traditional aiming and accurately enough to get the job done which is, incapacitate your attacker before he incapacitates you.

Point shooting, not aiming for a shotgun.
Old May 26, 2012, 09:29 PM   #10
Amsdorf

Call it whatever you want, you loveable knuckleheads are missing the point, entirely....

Hollywood has convinced people that a shotgun will work just fine simply by praying and spraying.

Call it what you want, "pointing" or "aiming"

You are missing the forest for the trees, bros.
Old May 26, 2012, 09:30 PM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Born with a pistol in one hand a bag of ammo in the other hand and a rifle slung across my back and all I ever knew was aiming. Got my first shotgun when I was 58 years old and got into it in a real big way. Now I hunt and I practice weekly drills at self defense drills because I have my own range in my front yard and my rifle range in my back yard.

I try the pointing thing that I have read about, seen videos on and been coached at but habit kicks in and while I'm getting better at it I still find myself aiming. That is why my 3 main shotguns have rifle sights on two of them and a scope on the third.

Today I was shooting my 10 gauge and yup I aimed and watched those 18 pellets of 00 blow that gallon milk jug all to pieces. Very satisfying but a tad bit expensive, I guess some of us are maybe a bit to old to get with the pointing program and I will be aiming for the time I have left.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old May 26, 2012, 09:37 PM   #12
Amsdorf

Good for you, bro.

We'll leave the fancy-pants stuff to the Internet commandos.

Old May 26, 2012, 09:58 PM   #13
darkgael

aiming

Maybe there is a problem with definitions or with the basics of shotgunning.
The advice "you don't aim a shotgun, you point it", is many years old. There is no myth about it....making the comment true is what gun fit is all about.

Properly fitted and properly mounted, if I point my shotgun where I am looking, it will shoot where I am looking. This is, for me and many others, virtually always a flying target.
Google if you will. there are many examples of real life shooters pointing their shotguns and hitting what they are pointing at. Any video about Trap shooting will show this. Any of the videos about Pat Flanagan breaking multiplem hand thrown targerts will show you a fellow hitting five, six, nine , ten, eleven flying target by pointing, not aiming. There is not enough time to aim.
Pete
Old May 26, 2012, 10:07 PM   #14
Amsdorf

Yes, shooting clays is nicely accomplished with loads of bird shot. We are NOT talking about throwing a lot of BBs out there.

What part of this is so hard to understand?

Not to put too fine a point on this, but....

I'm talking about how to get center mass hits with .00 Buckshot, nine pellets from a 12 gauge.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:16 PM   #15
oldguy870

"Look at me. I made a video."

Dude, you didn't discover gravity. Most people know how buckshot patterns. It is not new.

Kind of a troll like post.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:19 PM   #16
Amsdorf

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited by Amsdorf; May 26, 2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:29 PM   #17
oldguy870

Please let me know when you "discover" something else and make a video. I would suggest researching the fact that water is wet, explosions make loud noises, and the sun is bright.

Report back.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:33 PM   #18
Gunplummer

None of you know what you are talking about. I have bow hunted since I was legal to do so, and I never had a sight on a bow in my life. Many a time I killed a deer with out even having a "Weld spot". I had the knock and string away from my face a couple inches and still had good hits. When it comes to guns, there are people out there that can do it. I have "Experts" tell me all the time "Don't take head shots on deer with a rifle." Hey, if you are not up to something don't do it. Leave it to those that can.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:35 PM   #19
Amsdorf

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited by Amsdorf; May 26, 2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:55 PM   #20
dwaawd

This for me. Not "just pistol grip only" either:

[url]http://pistol-grip-only-shotgun-technique.com

Last edited by dwaawd; May 27, 2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:00 PM   #21
Amsdorf

Link is not working.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:17 PM   #22
HALL,AUSTIN

If yall keep up the arguing this will be closed faster than you would care for. And yes, we get it. A shotgun isnt sprayed from the hip. Thanks. But we are here to spread knowlege and information, not be rude and hateful.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:47 PM   #23
GM2

Point shooting with shotguns works well in close situations, It's all in training and practice to get good at it. If you are a Duck hunter you have to do the sight thing and learn how to Calculate a lead on moving targets. All that said do what ever it takes for you to become efficient with your shotgun and practice often. To me any type of shooting is not a "one size fits all" thing.
Old May 27, 2012, 04:03 AM   #24
TheKlawMan

Quote:
If yall keep up the arguing this will be closed faster than you would care for. And yes, we get it. A shotgun isnt sprayed from the hip. Thanks. But we are here to spread knowlege and information, not be rude and hateful.
I had a comment for Amsdorf until I read this which gets a ++.

One thing I don't understand is why anyone needs to aim at home defense distances of around 10 yards. but likely less, when letting the gun point where I look is good enough for shooting fast moving clay targets at distances of 30 to 40 yards and more.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; May 27, 2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old May 27, 2012, 04:59 AM   #25
Dave P

I dont know who made the video, but it is painful to watch, with all the background shooting.