The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 22, 2000, 10:17 PM   #1
abow905

Dear Friend:

I own two Browning A5 Shotguns. Thank you for the information available on your Website. However, I was unable to find answers to my primary questions. Hopefully, you can help. First, I would like to obtain manuals for both. Second, determine their age and value.

The older weapon has a serial number of 639C, it is made in Belgium, has proof marks on every part and multiple proof marks on the barrel. The barrel is labeled "Cylinder 12 Special Steel" and has Browning Firearms Ogden Utah stamped in the top. It will chamber a three inch shell, but I am concerned about the intelligence of firing modern loads especially three inch or magnum shells. What is the best load to shoot skeet with this gun?

The newer firearm has a serial number of WT15100499. It has a gold trigger and the seal of the Wild Turkey Federation. It is engraved with the characteristic "Browning" scroll work with a portrait in the middle on the left side. There is a turkey head engraved on the rear of the receiver. Finally, it is numbered 499/500. What is the best load to shoot skeet with this gun?

Thank you in advance for your help with this matter.

Andy
Old February 24, 2000, 05:36 AM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Hi Andy,

Harley is out of pocket for a bit, but I'm sure he can correct/add to my limited knowledge.

I'm pretty sure you can get Browning to send you a manual for your guns. Won't be the original but should cover the basics.

There is a procedure to adjust the recoil mechanism to handle heavy or light loads. You'll probably need it if your guns choke on skeet loads.

Don't shoot 3 inch loads unless the barrel is specificly marked "2 3/4 and 3 inch". A 3 inch shell will chamber in a barrel that was meant for only 2 3/4, but when the shell is fired, the short chamber raises pressures a great deal!

Most ranges have inexpensive skeet loads available, if not, any # 8 or 7 1/2 load will work fine. Check the local Wal-Mart for the least expensive 2 3/4 loads.

Giz
Old February 24, 2000, 06:47 AM   #3
Bulldog

That second one there sounds like a Wild Turkey Federation commemorative, or something of the like. It also appears that you have #499 out of 500 that were made, so I'd think twice about shooting it.

Old Auto-5s are increasing in value, as they have been discontinued. A commemorative example would probably be even more valuable. Just for reference, I saw an old beat-up Sweet-Sixteen selling for about $750 at a gun shop.

For what it's worth, my dad has a pair of old Belgian Auto-5s, one from around 1950 (Sweet-Sixteen, I believe), and the other from the early '60s (12ga). He has shot modern 2 3/4 shells out of the 12ga with no problems whatsoever.

------------------
Bulldawg: NRA, GOA, TSRA, Shiner Bock Connoisseur.
Bulldawg's Firearms Page
Old February 24, 2000, 09:12 AM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

TO ALL:
No need for me to add to what has been presented. I will send assem/disassem insturctions, w/photos, by separate email to ABOW

hjn