The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 26, 2007, 02:57 AM   #1
mrawesome22

Controlling static cling.

We have had a about a week of cold weather here in SE OH and the air is very dry. So I went down in the basement to load some shells and my powder is clinging to everything. It's funny because I can put my finger tip very close to the powder and it moves without even touching it. I tried rubbing everything down with dryer sheets, but that didn't do anything but made my hands smell very pretty LOL. I think I heard a while back about anti-static mats, but I've never seen one on Midway or in the catalog. Thanks.
Old January 26, 2007, 03:26 AM   #2
snuffy

Static guard

It's in a spray can, should be in by the laundry supplies at the store. I have a can close by when I open a shipping box from midway. Those #@*^!*=+*$* plastic peanuts cling to everything in the box including my hands. A squirt or two of the static guard BEFORE I even reach in there, VILOA no more clinging peanuts!

The stuff should work on powder funnels, pans and other tools on the bench I'd be carefull about the inside of the funnel or measure pan though. Wouldn't want it to contaminate the powder/primer!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 26, 2007, 09:41 AM   #3
sundog

Once used dryer sheets. Just wipe the offending surfaces. Cost = nada.
Old January 26, 2007, 10:48 AM   #4
castnblast

After you go through that ritual, try boiling some water down there to get your humidity levels up. A coleman stove works, or you can get those single burner electric elements at Wal-Mart. The latter is safer because you won't have to worry about carbon monoxide poisoning. Of course, you probably won't want to crank it up next to your gun powder...Ha! Ha! Ha!...not that you would, but I figured I'd throw that in for good measure...
Old January 26, 2007, 11:31 AM   #5
Nortonics

Believe it or not a regular old plant sprayer/misting bottle filled with tap water does wonders. Set it for the finest spray you can achieve and mist down the area, allowing the mist to just drop to the floor and a little across your bench area and gear. Not soaking, just light misting. It will cut static immediately for the short term.

Gotta' say the old dryer sheets have worked for me 100% in the past though.
Old January 26, 2007, 11:35 AM   #6
calvinike

I'll second the dryer sheets.
Old January 26, 2007, 11:50 AM   #7
Edward429451

I'll 2nd the humidifier. Go with a whole house unit connected to your furnace. Not only will it stop the static in your reloading room, but in the house as well. It'll protect your woodwork & furniture from drying out, keep the wife's skin moisturized, and keep the house a more even temperature because moist air holds more heat than dry air.
Old January 26, 2007, 05:44 PM   #8
mrawesome22

Thanks guy's. I can't run a humidifier down there because it makes everything mildew and mold. I'm gonna try that static guard stuff and the water bottle idea. Dryer sheets didn't do a darn thing. Maybe I was using the wrong kind. And snuffy, where do you spray that static guard? Directly on the equipment or on your hands? I also agree with your hatred of foam peanuts. I wish Midway would use old newspapers or something. I dread opening their boxes also. Those stupid things are everywhere after I'm done LOL. I'll bet their packaging area has about a 1 foot layer covering the floor.
Old January 26, 2007, 06:45 PM   #9
benedict1

There is another issue--you'd better weigh some charges because if that powder is all loaded up with static electicity it will force the flakes away from each other and lower the density. I have had it lower charge weight by as much as 0.2 gr from one day to the next. Ball powders don't seem to be affected as much.
Old January 26, 2007, 10:14 PM   #10
gdvan01

Not sure how practical this would be but it's an idea I guess...

Code:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Anti-Static-Wrist-Adjustable-Grounding/dp/B00004Z5D1

gdvanWildAlaskaHasTheBestTagLinesEver01

Old January 27, 2007, 07:03 AM   #11
wilson133

I double up a dryer sheet and rubber band it to the powder measure barrel. Solved my bridging problem. I double it up so that it just covers the back of the measure and I can still see the powder level when I am reloading.