The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2005, 08:54 PM   #1
rnovi

TiteGroup and the .38 Special

Anyone using TiteGroup in .38 spec loads? I am looking for light loads. I have used both Clays and Bullseye with good results and am wondering if anyone has any experience with TG. According to the Hodgdon website, TG is supposed to be indifferent to powder position especially in large capacity cases...

From the Hodgdon website: "Unlike pistol powders of the past, powder position in large cases (45 Colt, 357 Magnum and others) has virtually no effect on velocity and performance."

So, who loads TG in .38 spec and what have your results been like?

"Remember, Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Old September 9, 2005, 09:34 AM   #2
Russ5924

Been using Titegroup in my.38 for about a year and hafe.Using HBWC have been using 3.0 grains.With my SWC am using 3.4 grains.I have been using it in my .45 colt with no problems with 5.0 grains the case looks empty.What I like it is very clean burning the only problem is if you have any problem with static elec the powder may try to plug up, it just loves to stick to anything plastic so just get a pound and try it before you buy in any quanity
Old September 9, 2005, 10:40 AM   #3
Bobshouse

and be very, VERY careful...easy to double charge a case and not notice the difference.
Old September 9, 2005, 04:05 PM   #4
griz

It works great in 38 special. I load mostly light SASS loads, but it is good with most loads in that caliber. I have found it to be only average as far as being position sensitive, but all other claims are on the money. It's certainly inexpensive, clean, and suitable for many calibers. Only if you are interested in getting the the last bit of velocity out of the 38 is another powder required.

But Bob is right, a charge of Titegroup looks very tiny in the bottom of a 38 case and care is required to avoid double or triple charging. I have to use a light to check charges because you have to look almost straight down into the case to see the powder at all.