The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 2, 2005, 07:43 PM   #1
BigSlick

Cheapest practice ammo ever - procedure and load data

As always, I was surfing the 'net looking for new load data and cheaper components. I ran across something that I think every competent reloader should read

Cheap practice ammo

Always follow manufacturers published data when working up any load. NEVER improvise and follow safely procedures closely

Man, I gotta get rid of the 550 and get some new equipment

BigSlick
Old May 2, 2005, 07:58 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

Primers and wax are not what I could call practice ammunition. It may still count as ammo, but not hardly anything that would be close to shooting real loads.

Have fun removing the cooked wax from the barrel and chamber.
Old May 2, 2005, 08:54 PM   #3
cheygriz

Bill Jordan was advocating this stuff 40 years ago!
Old May 2, 2005, 10:40 PM   #4
G56

Quote:
"Locally, the usual price for 9mm Luger full metal jacket ammunition is about 2 cents per round."
I would like to know where he buys his ammunition!
Old May 3, 2005, 09:38 AM   #5
LotI

What?

Quote:
In these days of civil unrest and rampant crime, those of us who have decided to arm ourselves with handguns are faced not only with the outrageously escalated prices of good high capacity weapons like the Beretta, Ruger and Taurus 9mm's, ( All currently ov500.00 ) but the high cost of ammunition with which to practice gun handling and short(combat)range target shooting. Locally, the usual price for 9mm Luger full metal jacket ammunition is about 2 cents per round.
Whoa!!! I need more guns in these times!!!!

A Beretta over $500!!! What a ripoff

LOL
Old May 4, 2005, 04:54 PM   #6
Dave R

Speer's plastic training bullets work fine for me. I think it was $7/50 per box of 50. I've used them about 8-times each so far, and have only lost one. I think that's cheaper than replacing the wax...

And its easier to clean up after, too.
Old May 4, 2005, 06:37 PM   #7

As was mentioned, this has been done for many years. And, it has been discussed in the various on-line forums I frequent fairly often.
I played around with this about 20 years ago. I didn't read the link you posted, but I am sure whatever their technique is for loading will work fine. I found wax bullets to be very accurate and functioned fine out of revolvers. I didn't try them in any autopistols. There is no mess to clean up. There is no "cooked" wax in the barrel and chamber. When you recover the bullets they are intact and do not melt to any degree that I could see with the naked eye.
I wouldn't really advoate shooting these indoors: this is what I intended to do with them. First of all, they are louder than you might think. Second, there is more smoke than you might think. Lastly, it is my understanding that breathing the smoke from primers is a good way to ingest lead.
They would be fine for shooting in the yard, or maybe even the garage in a semi-rural area.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.