The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2005, 11:06 PM   #1
bill k

Two part question

I've never reloaded pistol rounds. I'm going to buy RCBS 44 mag dies. I saw on the midway site the three die set but it had a fourth componet. What's it for? Is that the correct die set to get? I only want RCBS, that's not debatable. Second, only out of curiosity what is a RCBS trim die? I have an RCBS trim pro case trimmer, is the trim die another way to trim?
Old February 2, 2005, 11:24 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Three die set: Size & decap, expand and flare, seat and crimp. The "fourth component" in the Midway illustration is an extra bullet seating plug for a different shape bullet nose. Probably one for semiwadcutter, one for roundnose or ogival hollowpoints.

A trim die is used by screwing it into the press like any other die, running a case in, and filing off any brass that sticks out the top. The top of the die is more than file hard so you can cut right down to it. Not needed if you have a rotary trimmer with the right pilot.

Actually the only reason I know to trim handgun brass is to get mixed brass to the same length so it will crimp the same. Pistol brass does not stretch like rifle brass.
Old February 7, 2005, 02:32 PM   #3
bill k

Thanks for the info, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
Bill
Old February 7, 2005, 05:37 PM   #4
brickeyee

Using a seperate crimp die will also save messing around with die settings all the time. Bullet seating and crimping works a lot better seperately, and you will need to adjust the die up to avoid crimoing durng seating, and then down to crimp correctly. A seperate die for crimping allows you to leave the die lock rings (and seating plug) set for each step.