The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 9, 2002, 09:20 AM   #26
David Blinder

FPrice, sorry about getting too involved but the problem with range first aid is that it's generally pretty basic stuff like small cuts or bruises or it's at the other end of the spectrum of major trauma. In any event, I highly recommend that everyone take a decent first aid class but if you have the time & inclination, an advanced class like a first responder or EMT-B is even better. It's one of those things I'd rather have and not need than need and not have.
Old May 9, 2002, 10:11 AM   #27
FPrice

blunder...

"FPrice, sorry about getting too involved..."

Please do not be sorry. I enjoyed the exchange AND hopefully I learned a little from it. I was hoping to get a good exchange going and it looks like I succeeded,

"I highly recommend that everyone take a decent first aid class but if you have the time & inclination, an advanced class like a first responder or EMT-B is even better."

This is very good advice for anyone and everyone. And, it is one of those things which I want to do, but so far have not been able to fit into my life. Soon I hope.

Thanks for your participation.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Old May 9, 2002, 04:59 PM   #28
tommygun45

Ooops

Blunder,
Sorry I had my Hummor option turned off . Great advice about the EMT and/or First responder training. If time and money are an issue (when aren't they? ) Basic first aid and CPR are a good place to start. Additionally some of the big shooting schools are offering a tactical first aid class.
Old May 9, 2002, 05:26 PM   #29
KSFreeman

blunder, where do we go to get EMT-B certified? I remember Gunsite (and I think Blackwater) used to have tactical medicine or something like that.

Red Cross? Please advise.
Old May 9, 2002, 07:00 PM   #30
David Blinder

KSFreeman,

I have no idea where in Indiana you would go but it's not the Red Cross. Why don't you check with a fire dept or the local hospital? It's a fairly extensive program that takes about 180 hours. The First Responder program is also excellent and it takes about 60 hours and that might be the best choice for someone who doesn't confront major trauma on a daily basis. I know several schools like Gunsite & Insights offer a tactical first aid course and they would be worth looking into as well.
Old May 9, 2002, 07:29 PM   #31
KSFreeman

blunder, it's O.K. I can leave the state (if my P.O. gives me the thumbs up). I walk the earf in a quest for knowledge. It's so hard getting a monk's robe to match my cap toes.

I'll call my buddy at WLFD tomorrow (and about the kerlix, or is it curlex?). First responder class, thanks much.
Old May 9, 2002, 11:30 PM   #32

"In any event, a chest tube or needle aspiration is the normal treatment and I doubt if many of us are prepared to perform that in the field. "

Actually it is quite easy and could be taught to anyone in about five minutes. I have done it several times "in the field". Sorry, I realize that this is beyond the scope of what was asked, but I couldn't resist. Please note that trauma, such as gunshot wound, can not be "treated" in the field. Surgical intervention is required (I am talking about serious GSW, such as, to the chest). This brings us to the definition of a Trauma Center. The main thing about a trauma center is that they have the surgical staff available at all times to surgically treat the victims of trauma. Something that may or may not be available in hospitals that are not trauma centers. All one can hope to do is to keep them alive long enough to get them to surgery. With a basic first aid kit all we could hope to do would be to control the external bleeding. While we are doing that, much nastier things are going on inside the body. Even the best equipped and trained paramedic or even a doctor out of the hospital can do little more such as fluid replacement with IV fluids, high flow oxygen, and the above mentioned chest decompression.

It is Kerlix and I would venture a guess that any ambulance in the country uses it on an almost daily basis. http://google.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=Kerlix&hc=0&hs=0
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.