The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 26, 2014, 12:21 PM   #1
salvadore

TC Hawken .54 cal

Ok, I took it to the range a couple of days ago. Using Pyrodex P powder (forgot my flask of R) approximately 85 grains and a 425 GP bullet. The first shot cut the X ring, woohoo, the next four were all over the target or not on the target at all. All the holes were round, no key holing...So what did I do wrong?
Old July 26, 2014, 03:27 PM   #2
Model12Win

You must swab the bore after each shot to get any accuracy out of these rifles.
Old July 26, 2014, 03:59 PM   #3
roashooter

too little information to tell you the solution to your issues.....however my TC 54
will make cloverleaf groups all day long...and I do NOT swab the barrel between shots.....is it a factory barrel....what twist rate....is the gp the right size....all these this can cause your problems
Old July 26, 2014, 03:59 PM   #4
straight-shooter

In a nutshell your first shot was a fouling shot. It was a lucky shot to the bull. You just have to play with the powder charge and find what it likes.

I have two hawkens that both prefer a 50gr charge and a 80gr charge. Anything else I've tried so far has blown the accuracy. I'm using Goex FF.
Old July 26, 2014, 04:00 PM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
You must swab the bore after each shot to get any accuracy out of these rifles.
Not true.

What kind of lube were you using? With my Investarms I used 90 grains of powder with a Great Plains with good results.
Old July 27, 2014, 10:35 AM   #6
salvadore

Hawgie, the GP bullet I was using is already lubed. I wouldn't swab between shots, my CVA round baller doesn't need it to shoot a group. I agree the first shot is a fouler, but the group from the other three was pretty foul. I'm pretty sure it's a 1 in 48.

I guess next time I should try a heavier or lighter load. What do ya think?
Old July 27, 2014, 12:42 PM   #7
Hawg

I would take it up a few grains at a time to around 95. If it doesn't improve by 95 I'd try going down to 80. If that doesn't work I'd try a new bullet.
Old July 27, 2014, 04:06 PM   #8
Model12Win

I imagine you are going to use this for hunting considering it's a Hawken rifle, if so I wouldn't fret. It sounds like you are getting a still good level of accuracy. I you can group about 4 inches out to 50 yards or under, you are doing well enough to hit the vitals of any medium or large game you might want to hunt with consistency. I'd imagine you are grouping better than this anyhow. I'm sure you will be fine.
Old July 27, 2014, 04:08 PM   #9
salvadore

More like 10 or 12 inches M-12. Horrible group even tho the bullets are spinning and go in head first.
Old July 28, 2014, 04:11 AM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
I you can group about 4 inches out to 50 yards or under,
I could live with that at 100 but not 50. Wouldn't like it at 100 but could live with it.
Old July 28, 2014, 08:51 AM   #11
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Only suggestion I can think of that may help. Perhaps the addition of a bore button wad under your rifles projectile. I use that type of wad on my 54 under its Maxi balls. Seems to help tighten my rifles accuracy. May or may not work for yours though. As stated your shooting some sort of Great Pains type of bullet. Wouldn't hurt to try a couple button wads though. Then again adjusting its powder charge up or down is a necessity when shooting such bullets. Or you could just trade guns with Hawg Haggen as anything he shoots (rifles) you know has got to be accurate._

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/I.../1/OX-WAD-54-D
Old July 28, 2014, 10:04 AM   #12
salvadore

Hawg Haggen? Never heard of him.

Almost forgot, thanks for all the suggestions. I like Hawgie's idea of of bumpin up the powder charge and may have to try the bore button cookie thingy. My problem is I am overwhelmed trying to get various shooters up to snuff, particularly my cast bullet rifles and my rimfires. My over the hill casual shooting spot is no longer available so I have to make a 50+ mile round trip to shoot.

Last edited by salvadore; July 28, 2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old July 28, 2014, 06:19 PM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
you could just trade guns with Hawg Haggen as anything he shoots (rifles) you know has got to be accurate.
Methinks not. Yeah most of mine are pretty accurate but it took a lot of work and trial and error to get some of them there.